• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel off center??

Boot_Scraper

1 hour ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Thanks for the help fellas. Love this group. :hail::thumbup:

I had high hopes for Faxon after looking into their reputation. Hopefully it's an isolated incident (I'm sure it is). My luck as usual. 

Gotta be isolated - never seen a report like this before, about a Faxon barrel.  They won't sweat you over it, either - they know their business, and will take care of you.

Good work on tracking everything down, boot.  :thumbup:

One thing I was gonna say, prior to the latest round of testing on your part - the gas port diameter in the gas block is 0.125".  If you have a perfectly good barrel, and the gas port is slightly off...  slightly...  you can align the gas block, with it's giant 0.125" opening, get it perfectly straight, and still fully cover that slightly off gas port in the barrel.

Not the case here, something is off with the barrel.  You'll get taken care of, for sure.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for the "at'a'boy"s gents! I'm an aircraft inspector/mech by trade. If I fail to find imperfections in mechanical devices, bad things can happen. It's all relative. 

4 minutes ago, washguy said:

Boot  lemne ask you.....are the m4 ramps sharp and kinda thin?  Ive seen some posted on here that are ather thin and sharp unlike all other ramps.

Wash

Yes, the outer rim of the ext where the ramps are cut, are pretty dang sharp. Very clean and precise though. 

M4 feedramp cuts are going to appear alot larger and sharper on a 308 vs. the typically-seen 5.56 cuts.  Just the nature of the beast, being 30% larger and all.  If they look kinda like this, then fear not.  Just run it. 

First 2 pics are a Ballistic Advantage 5.56 SPR barrel, next 2 pics are Armalite AR-10 barrel.

P1050802.thumb.JPG.690d86823c38ac9758ac9c73be48f6b8.JPGP1050805.thumb.JPG.484d9aadbd3df59a4c24f5828b633b77.JPGP1050803.thumb.JPG.8dab579b07a3a72c4b215acb5676711d.JPGP1050804.thumb.JPG.56136478ae37e3546753fcfcf741cbe5.JPG

I was just wondering if they had changed up the ramps...guess not.. other posts showed very thin and sharp ramps....if your $hit is built right the bullet never hits the ramps....but with these odd ball lowers/uppers being sold ya never know   ....all of my mags cept the plastic ones have been trimmed out...bullet dont need no stinkin ramps....     Wash

• 4 weeks later...

New pencil profile showed up today! Spin test.... drum roll...... PERFECTION! This one runs true. This one fits much tighter into the upper receiver as well, hardly any play. Going check the headspacing at the smith shortly and will assemble this afternoon. I'm pumped!:fullauto::fullauto:

Edited by Boot_Scraper

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MrPaul said:

So did it shoot straight? Range report?

It functioned flawlessly. However, I wasn't overly excited about the accuracy with my usual hunting load. 1.5 MOA. I'm going to fine tune it to see what this barrel likes. I also shot my X bolt that day and it's always a tack driver but it was also a 1.5 moa gun that session.

So the jury is still out. 

I just discovered that I've been over sizing my brass though. I made a batch that just bumps the shoulder back about .003"-.005". That should help. I'll keep y'all posted here:

Edited by Boot_Scraper

6 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

It functioned flawlessly. However, I wasn't overly excited about the accuracy with my usual hunting load. 1.5 MOA. I'm going to fine tune it to see what this barrel likes. I also shot my X bolt that day and it's always a tack driver but it was also a 1.5 moa gun that session.

So the jury is still out. 

I just discovered that I've been over sizing my brass though. I made a batch that just bumps the shoulder back about .003"-.005". That should help. I'll keep y'all posted here:

Different Barrel will probably like different loadings .

Over sizing your brass ?  What are you using as a measuring tool (s ) ?

14 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Different Barrel will probably like different loadings .

Over sizing your brass ?  What are you using as a measuring tool (s ) ?

I'm using a headspacing comparator. I initially setup my FL dies as per the instructions. It was pushing the shoulder back .013ish (can't remember exactly)  from the fire formed case.