• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Front sight block gas leak

bubbas4570

So, after mounting a light on my FUR for a traing class, running it through the class without a hiccup, and even having the trainer find out the FUR is hard to make malfunction with a dick stick....I get home and find that there is a gas leak from the rear area of the front sight block. Just enough to make a small grey spot on the side of my light,  and actually more than likely would never have known had I not found the grey gas spot on the light.....

Sooo, anything to worry about, or do I need to fix it post haste......

For technical info....

F marked front sight base, gas marks on the side of the lights' bezel, which is just ahead of the rifle length free floated hand guards of a rifle length gas system.

Upon close inspection, the gas looks to be blowing out of the roll pin holding the gas tube in place.  Pretty normal place for excess gas to be escaping, no?

Edited by bubbas4570
tighten up description

If you look closely - easiest to see on stainless barrels - they all leak until they carbon-seal.  The carbon fouling closes everything up with a hundred-ish rounds, and they won't leak again unless you break those parts down and clean/scrub them out.  The slip-fit gas block (and they all are, unless they're pounded into position) leaves no other way around that issue.  :thumbup: