• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Federal 224 Valkyrie/Larue AR

There's a very specific reason I referenced/recommended the Barnes 70 TSX in the 5.56 for you. That projectile has been gettin' it done for quite awhile now. It's successful on animal hunting, but research some military "brown tip" ammo...

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

With the proper equipment, I wouldn't hesitate taking an ethical hunting shot on a 2-legged vermin at 600 yards.  5.56 will do just fine in that role, and can go even longer.  With different equipment, the ranges increase.  I don't know why we worry about that on the same-sized 4-legged variety. 

I have more respect for the 4-legged variety than most 2 legged vermin. if I have to shoot a 2 legged one and it walks away injured, I don't worry about how long it takes to die because it deserved to get shot. 

4-legged ones I like to have quick kills on and I also worry about damaging the meat. I have taken white tails at 320 yards before with my .308, but I don't shoot enough to see me confident in shooting one farther than that. I have only ever had one deer get away after being shot, but one was to many.

Also, I have never taken a range finder into the woods with me. Maybe if I did I would be more confident at those shots, but I can't even think of when I have seen a deer stand still in the rut. Most of the deer I have shot were either running or at a fast trot, and the rest were walking. 

• 4 months later...

Same/same.  You need to put it in the boiler room for it to work right.  Animals aren't armor plated, unless you're hunting a damn rhino, hippo or elephant.  You don't lung/heart/CNS any of them, and they won't drop DRT.  If you only lung them, they run, until they can't run anymore.  You don't hit any of those three, then they'll run until they bleed out or shock out.  Then they just lay down.