• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Savage Muzzle loader Kbooms

• 1 month later...

There are a ton of reasons this could happen, as far as muzzle loaders go I consider myself a expert if there is any such thing but for years I fired over 30 lbs of powder in competition..... and have seen just about everything that can go wrong, double charge of powder,double loaded projectile, double loaded<<<<< this one is a barrel buster.... but the biggest thing for me is all the new synthetic powders, pellets, sabots and inline configurations it is all a recipe for failure, muzzle loaders loaded and used the way they were intended are pretty freeking safe we built them and double charged them for proofing the barrels never saw a failure with a patched round ball or a cupped mini ball, but have seen many with solid bullets and copper bullets over loaded... so the gun may have failed but i would be there was some human problem associated with it...

8 hours ago, Magwa said:

There are a ton of reasons this could happen, as far as muzzle loaders go I consider myself a expert if there is any such thing but for years I fired over 30 lbs of powder in competition..... and have seen just about everything that can go wrong, double charge of powder,double loaded projectile, double loaded<<<<< this one is a barrel buster.... but the biggest thing for me is all the new synthetic powders, pellets, sabots and inline configurations it is all a recipe for failure, muzzle loaders loaded and used the way they were intended are pretty freeking safe we built them and double charged them for proofing the barrels never saw a failure with a patched round ball or a cupped mini ball, but have seen many with solid bullets and copper bullets over loaded... so the gun may have failed but i would be there was some human problem associated with it...

I agree , probably user error . They keep trying to make Muzzle loaders shoot like a High powered Rifle & as you said a recipe for disaster . 

The guys at Hunt camp that use these new type rifles & replacement black Powders  ( Nice shooting Rifles though ) complain about lack of blood trails with using them . I keep telling them to get rid of the Jacked Bullets & go back to lead Bullets , they can even use a Sabot , but with a Lead Bullet . I never had an issue using real Black Powder & Maxiball Bullets . I do like the new type of ignition systems .

Edited by survivalshop

The new ignition system inline with shotgun primers I am sure it is a improvement over a hammer and copper cap or a flintlock but!!! what is the point of a muzzle loader hunt? it is supposed to be a primitive hunt it is supposed to be hard and the guns are supposed to have a limited range instead we find inlines, copper sabots and fake powder all designed to make the gun more reliable that is bull$hit the guns originally were very reliable if you did the work,a cowskin elbow over the Hammer and cap or flintlock waxing the cap they all made it reliable, but lazy Americans now want scopes on muzzle loaders, inlines etc what a joke  muzzle loader hunts should be open fixed sights, round ball real powder period if you can not make it shoot learn your craft better instead of sitting in the back of a pickup reading a manual of some new modern muzzle loader because you have been to lazy to learn the gun ......... now if you really want to know how i feel........ LOL

every female cat-guy wants to do it the easy way, and some female cat-vendor wants to sell something the easy way.

I do shoot a percussion 50 cal.CVA Mountain rifle rather than a flintlock

...and everypusssey website setter-upper wants to keep me from saying Pusssey

Edited by mrmackc

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I'm not arguing for or against either side here, but...

How many times does it have to happen before we're willing to consider that there may actually be a defect in the product? Based on that article, it sounds to me like Savage has known about issues for years and has actively engaged in attempts to hide other cases from at least one court.

On a related note, I wonder how many people were injured or killed by Rem 700s before folks started thinking that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't user error but, rather, a flaw in the design or materials.

4 hours ago, COBrien said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I'm not arguing for or against either side here, but...

How many times does it have to happen before we're willing to consider that there may actually be a defect in the product? Based on that article, it sounds to me like Savage has known about issues for years and has actively engaged in attempts to hide other cases from at least one court.

On a related note, I wonder how many people were injured or killed by Rem 700s before folks started thinking that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't user error but, rather, a flaw in the design or materials.

As far as Remington 700's , I have shot & been around at least a hundred 700's & I have never heard or seen an issue with them , only read about it .

As far as the Savage , as we have already hit on , it may be a combo of things , the Components used , weak Barrels for some reason or another or User's error . This is the first I heard of an issue with them & am not familiar with the model .

I remember Deer Hunting in Ohio on a cold morning & set up on a reclaimed Strip Mine , a Coyote came running across the Knee high grass in front of me , I took a running shot at it & when I touched off the Cap/ Black Powder charge , all that smoke , just sat there in front of me , no wind or breeze to move it , I have no idea if I even came close to the Yote .

it made for a good laugh to my hunting buddy that was on the other side of the field . He heard me shoot & knew where I was  ,but couldn't see me , the smoke cloud just sat there .