• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS G2

FreeMan

Gentlemen, 

I'm new to the forum. Part of the reason I joined is beause I ordered a new DPMS G2 Hunter. The rifle came in last Monday and yesterday I finally got a chance to run it and dial it in. I'm surprised more of you don't have this platform here because by my estimation DPMS really hit a homerun with this rifle (especially the Recon). At less than 8lbs and with dimensions very close to an AR15, the G2 series can easily be mistakenfor it's little brother at first glance.

The rifle came with what is now largely considered to be an obsolete accessory, a big bulky quad rail. I made sure to order a 15" Keymod from Midwest Industries when I ordered the rifle. Additionally, a BCM Gun Fighter charging handle is on back order and I should be getting it soon. The outdated quad rail and undersized charging handle are my only two gripes if I were forced to complain. 

DPMS packed a lot of quality parts and innvation from the factory. Stainless steel barrel, titanium firing pin, duel ejectors on the bcg and a flash hider with an integrated suppressor adaptor.

Range day; At the recommndation of DPMS I purchased Lancer Mags for higher reliability. With a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 and Hornady Black 168 cartridges I started the brake in process. After this I was able to dial in the optics easily getting about 2.5" groups at 100yrds. This should improve with practice and better familiarity.  I expect 1.5" to be within my skill level.  I then started to run some surplus NATO ammo (Malaysian made I think) expecting a malfunction. To my surprise after 250 rounds through the factory mag and Lancer mags not one single issue occured. The rifle ate it all up and put everything on target. I was able to shoot minute of man at 100yards with firing in quick succession as the recoil was very manageable making for excellent shot placement. 

Bottom line, it ran like a Ferrari and I can't imagine finding a better platform for the money MSRP is something like $1700 but they are being sold from $1200 to $1300.

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

Michael

20180111_182108.jpg

configurations-recon@2x.png

5 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

Gentlemen, 

I'm new to the forum. Part of the reason I joined is beause I ordered a new DPMS G2 Hunter. The rifle came in last Monday and yesterday I finally got a chance to run it and dial it in. I'm surprised more of you don't have this platform here because by my estimation DPMS really hit a homerun with this rifle (especially the Recon). At less than 8lbs and with dimensions very close to an AR15, the G2 series can easily be mistakenfor it's little brother at first glance.

The rifle came with what is now largely considered to be an obsolete accessory, a big bulky quad rail. I made sure to order a 15" Keymod from Midwest Industries when I ordered the rifle. Additionally, a BCM Gun Fighter charging handle is on back order and I should be getting it soon. The outdated quad rail and undersized charging handle are my only two gripes if I were forced to complain. 

DPMS packed a lot of quality parts and innvation from the factory. Stainless steel barrel, titanium firing pin, duel ejectors on the bcg and a flash hider with an integrated suppressor adaptor.

Range day; At the recommndation of DPMS I purchased Lancer Mags for higher reliability. With a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 and Hornady Black 168 cartridges I started the brake in process. After this I was able to dial in the optics easily getting about 2.5" groups at 100yrds. This should improve with practice and better familiarity.  I expect 1.5" to be within my skill level.  I then started to run some surplus NATO ammo (Malaysian made I think) expecting a malfunction. To my surprise after 250 rounds through the factory mag and Lancer mags not one single issue occured. The rifle ate it all up and put everything on target. I was able to shoot minute of man at 100yards with firing in quick succession as the recoil was very manageable making for excellent shot placement. 

Bottom line, it ran like a Ferrari and I can't imagine finding a better platform for the money MSRP is something like $1700 but they are being sold from $1200 to $1300.

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

Michael

20180111_182108.jpg

configurations-recon@2x.png

Maybe you just haven't noticed but there are a whole $hitpot of us DPMS  owners of factory built rifles, we are just coming out of the closet amongst all of the many build-it-from parts guys. 

Edited by mrmackc

16 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Very nice have fun brother.:thumbup:

Thank you, appreciated. 

11 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Maybe you just haven't noticed but there are a whole $hitpot of us DPMS  owners of factory built rifles, we are just coming out of the closet amongst all of the many build-it-from parts guys. 

I haven't. 

I'm also learning to navigate the forum though. 

Edited by FreeMan

13 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

How do you like that scope?

I found the clarity to be far superior to the PrimaryArms 1x8. If the Vortex came with the ACCS reticle of the P.A. optic it would be perfect. 

I saw somebody sum it up perfect in reference to the Vortex. It is 80% as good as the Trijicon at 1/4th the cost. 

I thought this was a fair review. 

https://manlygearreviews.com/optics/best-1-8-scope/

"Most are probably scratching their heads wondering how a sub $500 scope wins best overall. Fact of the matter is this scope is not as good as the Trijicon or the Primary Arms Platinum in raw performance. The reason the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8×24 won best overall 1-8 scope is because it is about 80% as good as those other more expensive scopes all while costing 1/3rd the price.

The Strike Eagle 1-8 was just released this year off the success of it’s little brother the Strike Eagle 1-6×24. Glass quality is right on par with scopes in the sub $800 market and will most likely leave you quite satisfied when shooting during the day. 8x does have a slight drop off in brightness, this is especially noticeable when hunting or shooting in the early morning or evening hours. This is somewhat because of the price point that this scope is at but is mostly a byproduct of have a 24mm objective lens.

This scope has covered turrets that are primarily used for zeroing the scope. This makes the scope super compact and a great choice for the 3 gun shooter or hunter that wants the most compact 1-8 they can get. Illumination is daylight bright and works well with the SFP BDC style reticle. Eye-box is very generous at 1x but tightens just a bit when getting close to 8x. This is very common in scopes that have magnifying ratios of 8x.

Bottom line, for the 3gun shooter or hunter looking to get the most scope for their dollar the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8×24 is probably the best overall 1-8 scope they can get."

Good to know about ththe Vortex. I need a few new glass pieces. 

I think everyone here is getting onboard with the G2 format. Lots of builders here still waiting for the aftermarket selection to catch up. 

Personally, I’ve never purchased a completed rifle off the shelf. I guarantee, if the parts were available, I would’ve built one already. I really want some of these companies to come forward and state whether their smaller parts are G2 compatible.

Nice rifle , good job with the purchase .:thumbup:

I too have never purchased a Factory Built AR , I have built them since the late seventies . I was going to buy a GII or an AR 10 , but fell for a SA, M1A Socom & it will probably be the last Rifle I buy , I still have a couple AR 15 Builds  sitting around to do yet .

If someone comes out with the GII size Receiver set , I might be persuaded :lmao: