• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barnes 168grn TTSX in a PA10=Good Stuff

mley1

Went out today to shoot some Barnes 168grn TTSX .308 in my PA10. It started off great. I got a couple of good groups, but then my extractor broke. So, I had to cut my range session short. However, from the small sample size I'd say my rifle likes the Barnes 168grn TTSX rounds. The first shot was a cold clean bore flyer. The rest settled right in. I had a 5 shot group that was sub moa as well, but it started pouring down rain and my extractor broke. So, I packed up and headed for the house, leaving the target at the 100yrd line.

28276443_10211164078966412_5765367181840

Ammo I was using.

28377691_10211164073526276_7351776289278

As soon as I get a new extractor put in I'll be shooting more of this ammo. My rifle seems to like it.

Good shootin'!!! 

I've never had an accuracy issue with Barnes TSX (non-tipped), and the TTSX is a little better at distance.  Barnes designed this stuff to be as accurate as Match projectiles from other manufacturers.  I've never seen any results that would indicate that it doesn't measure up.  My best examples are all in 5.56.  70gr TSX vs Hornady 75gr HPBT Match vs Sierra 77gr SMK. The Hornady 75s are a little more accurate than the Sierra 77s,  just ever so slightly, and the 70 TSX hangs right there with both of them.

Be careful if you start handloading these things - they're longer than other projectiles of the same weight.  That reduces case capacity, and changes pressures.  You wouldn't just toss a 168 TTSX right on top of your favorite recipe for a Sierra 168gr HPBT...

Here's the best example I can show you:

image.png.8281912541260cc702fec9c76fea3eed.png

I do plan to reload the Barnes TTSX bullets. To be honest I wasn't expecting the factory ammo to shoot so well. When I can get back to the range I'm gonna see what she'll do with both factory, and some reloads, of the 168grn TTSX. I also am very curious as to the velocity I'm getting. My buddy has a chrono. So, I'll try to get that info as well next go round.

• 4 months later...

The Barnes bullets are so different than others, based on the solid copper construction, so I bought the manual a long time ago.  Here's the .308 Win Data on that weight class.  One thing to really note, here, though - your velocities aren't gonna be what's in this book, because the test barrel they used was a 24" Kreiger with a 1:12" twist (wtf on their chosen twist...).

Max load on the 168TSX using Varget is 45.5 grains, at a case capacity of 101%.  Very, slightly, compressed. Perfectly fine, and safe.  I'm betting you can make a set of loads going up another 0.2 gr per until you hit 45.5gr, and you'll hit another accuracy node on the way up. You'll get that speed up, and keep the accuracy when you hit that next node (if your brass will still look okay/be okay).  I'd watch that brass and primers close, though - the Barnes manual has higher max charges than the Hornady 10 manual.  You're pretty close to maxing it out now, with a good load. :thumbup:

P1060504.thumb.JPG.d1a2dad4afc5961c1bf9f5c6aa409b09.JPG

P1060507.thumb.JPG.bde630831121059c85cf33543250af4f.JPGP1060508.thumb.JPG.5eb08c85312d2c01b7eee25eada8bbf3.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

My friend and I already did that. We went up to 45.3grns. At 45.1grns ejector swipes on the Brass were a bit heavy. Then at 45.3grns primers we’re starting to flatten a bit. I didn’t see any increase in accuracy. So we settled on the 44.7 load as it showed the best accuracy with no pressure signs. I’m getting usually MOA groups with occasional sub MOA if I do my part. The EPT trigger wasn’t to good for shooting good groups. So I put in a CMC Lantac ECT1 flat trigger. I’m anxious to see how the new trigger affects the accuracy. I haven’t had a chance to hit the range yet to try the new trigger. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Barnes has an online book, curious if it is the same as the printed version 

I have moved to Barnes in several magnum calibers and slowly moving them into standard velocity calibers. 

waiting to recover a couple from game for final verdict but accuracy wise they are good bullets. 

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Barnes has an online book, curious if it is the same as the printed version 

I have moved to Barnes in several magnum calibers and slowly moving them into standard velocity calibers. 

waiting to recover a couple from game for final verdict but accuracy wise they are good bullets. 

Fire up a link to their online stuff, and I'll compare it to what's in my book.   :thumbup:

13 hours ago, Albroswift said:

https://www.barnesbullets.com/load-data/

online manual plus updates.

I just spot-checked some .223 Rem, .308 Win, and .338 Fed loads against the book.  It looks like the online version for the .223 Rem and .308 Win has more powder options listed than the book does, and Barnes has alot more projectiles available now, over when the book was printed, so the book doesn't have them.  The online .338 Fed was identical to the book.

If you're looking for a specific Barnes projectile, I'll look that one up, too, and compare it to the online version.  Overall, it looks like the online one is more comprehensive.