• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

55gr FMJ vs. 62gr FMJ

bubbas4570

Assuming my barrel twist is correct for the heavier projectiles...1/7, 1/8, 1/9, ect......the rifle shoots either weiht with equal accuracy, and I have no problem reloading either weight bullets for my rifle, which one would you pick?

Cost difference between the bullet weights would be negligible for this discussion. And I am talking loading by the 1K at a time.

All bullets are standard FMJ, lead core...no penetrator.

Looking for opinions and why.

55, just because they're easier to find.  They're everywhere.  Between a 55 and 62, same construction, there's not gonna be a speed or power difference that's really worth anything, one over the other.  My $0.02.

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

55, just because they're easier to find. 

Curious of what your thought are on the accuracy comparison if the 62gr. is the penetrator bullet?

Recently heard Ryan Cleckner bragg up the 55 gr. Hornady spire point as one of the most accurate 5.56 bullets he shoots and one of the cheapest. Never loaded for 5.56 myself but years ago I had a 22-250 that loved those 55 gr. spire points.

22 minutes ago, bubbas4570 said:

Looking for opinions and why.

Sorry, don't mean to jack your thread but your question jarred loose some errant thoughts :evil:

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Curious of what your thought are on the accuracy comparison if the 62gr. is the penetrator bullet?

Recently heard Ryan Cleckner bragg up the 55 gr. Hornady spire point as one of the most accurate 5.56 bullets he shoots and one of the cheapest. Never loaded for 5.56 myself but years ago I had a 22-250 that loved those 55 gr. spire points.

Sorry, don't mean to jack your thread but your question jarred loose some errant thoughts :evil:

Would depend on my use for the 62 / SS109 projectile.  If it's for steel or target use, no way.  First, that shiit will jack your steel up.  It does leave bigger divots on AR500 plate.  The stories are real...  You can walk up and look at your plates, and immediately shout, "WHAT ASSHEAD IS SHOOTING GREEN TIPS?!!?"  :bitchslap: :laffs: For strictly target use, there are other, better bullets that are cheaper than SS109 projectiles.  So, for those two things, nope.

For other uses, barrier use, targets heavily clothed, etc, then hell yeah.  Again, there are other projectiles that are better at barrier penetration, or better in terminal ballistics than SS109 - but not for the price you can get it at.  So, that's the other range of the spectrum on it, IMHO.  It's a great projectile, depending on your intended use, for it's price.  It's also weird, due to the steel core - you should be shooting this thing from a 1:7" barrel, because of that, to get it all-around stabile for it's intended use. When you shoot it through a 1:7" twist, it's pretty accurate, when you do your part.  You can see the difference in performance of it going through 1:7" and 1:8".  For the record, I have a case of SS109 stashed away.

This is the 62gr 5.56 stuff to start finding:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/06/u-s-army-issues-new-m855a1-ammo-to-troops-in-afghanistan/

On the 55gr methodology - I can load up my load of 55gr Hornady FMJ BT and shoot that through my 1:8" Mk12 Mod0 and easily centermass steel silhouettes at 600 yards.  The terminal performance might not be there at that distance, but it works for range use and training, and it's cheap, and readily available.  For the record, it really starts to SUCK when you try to shoot it at 700 yards.  Bad. Anything over 600 yards gets the Hornady 75gr BTHPs launched at it.

Edited by 98Z5V