• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt Catch Screw Problems

cmeptb

I am assembling a Matrix 762 lower that I bought a couple of years ago and the bolt catch screw is too wide to fit in the bolt catch screw hole on the receiver. (I have LPK from Central Florida Firearms and Chandler Hardwoods - both screws are too wide and so is an ar15 roll pin).  I tried using a handheld vice to push in the screw but it didn't work and I was afraid to damage the receiver.  Any recommendations? 

47 minutes ago, cmeptb said:

I am assembling a Matrix 762 lower that I bought a couple of years ago and the bolt catch screw is too wide to fit in the bolt catch screw hole on the receiver.

Put up pics of the exact problem, man. Post pics of it. "Too wide" how?  The length is too wide and the screw head sticks out once it's bottomed?  The screw won't even start because the diameter is too large?

Just put pics up.

I have one of these things, so do many others here, and it went together like butter, so I can't imagine what you're saying, by your description.

Pics.  And hit the Intro Section, and tell us about yourself.

6 hours ago, cmeptb said:

the bolt catch screw is too wide to fit in the bolt catch screw hole on the receiver.

I used rolled stainless steel pins from an online auction site on my Matrix, don't recall there being threads for a screw. They tend to drive easier and are a bit stronger overall.

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I used rolled stainless steel pins from an online auction site on my Matrix, don't recall there being threads for a screw. They tend to drive easier and are a bit stronger overall.

I've recently been turned on to these pins, as well. SS, spiral wound, tapered on both ends, no?

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Put up pics of the exact problem, man. Post pics of it. "Too wide" how?  The length is too wide and the screw head sticks out once it's bottomed?  The screw won't even start because the diameter is too large?

Just put pics up.

I have one of these things, so do many others here, and it went together like butter, so I can't imagine what you're saying, by your description.

Pics.  And hit the Intro Section, and tell us about yourself.

The screw won't even start because the diameter is too large.  

OP, read this review, from the Primary Arms site:

Great for the money

by Michael -

I bought this set on Black Friday special. I paired it with a Wilson Combat 16” 338 federal barrel, aero lower parts kit, aero ejection port cover, aero forward assist, aero buffer tube kit, and a toolcraft BCG. With this combo I was able to shoot .71 moa at 100 yards. The only hiccup I had was the bolt catch pin would not thread as far in as I would have liked. The pin was larger than the receiver’s hole. I took some sandpaper and sanded the pin and it fits perfectly. Just picked up another to build a 308.

It came from here - read a few of these reivews, they pertain to your situation:

http://www.primaryarms.com/matrix-arms-ar-308-stripped-receiver-set-dpms-high-ma308-set?trk_msg=JQ5AS4JF04645CNVOVKFVEP2VO&trk_contact=CCM1L42B6H11OTO9IV10FHBVDG&trk_sid=FU9FFQ1SU8UO0I8TGLVVR55GTS&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SLOT_17&utm_campaign=18_06_Ad_13_Fathers_Day_Part1

Edited by 98Z5V

I monkeyed around with the roll pin and was able to get it to go in. 

New problem: after installing the bolt stop, the magazine won't drop free anymore. I bought the lower parts kit from a retailer that advertised that their kits were Matrix compatible. Below are pics of the bolt stop and magazine catch.  Are these the wrong parts?  (Any source for the right ones?).

Very frustrating.  

IMG_2064.thumb.JPG.0e4ba726c8d0250c4ddcd57881960d2b.JPGIMG_2063.thumb.JPG.036cd641664aa48fb71072b47e302c12.JPG