• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ARish shotgun

Jgun

I can't figure out how these can be importable as is, while the Gov forced Izhmash to alter the Saiga in order for it to be considered  a sporting arm?

As a saiga 12 owner, I have to agree with you here. We can't import a shotgun with the handle mounted under the receiver.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update I see on these is that Tony Rumore (Tromix) is working on them, and another well known builder is working on high cap mags for them. They have a couple of things going for them, they share ergonomics and most controls with the AR rifle (except for the charging handle) so you should be able to jump back and forth between the AR and shotgun pretty seamlessly, and unlike the Saiga's, they use steel mags. People are saying that these things are going to blow the Saiga's out of the water for 3 Gun once the high cap mags become available. I can see that happening, IF they run.  The up side of that is that the price of the Saiga's should come back down to where it belongs if there is another , maybe  better, option out there.

Latest update I see on these is that Tony Rumore (Tromix) is working on them, and another well known builder is working on high cap mags for them. They have a couple of things going for them, they share ergonomics and most controls with the AR rifle (except for the charging handle) so you should be able to jump back and forth between the AR and shotgun pretty seamlessly, and unlike the Saiga's, they use steel mags. People are saying that these things are going to blow the Saiga's out of the water for 3 Gun once the high cap mags become available. I can see that happening, IF they run.  The up side of that is that the price of the Saiga's should come back down to where it belongs if there is another , maybe  better, option out there.

I have a Saiga12, and the plastic mags are not an issue. MD's 20 rounders are built hell for stout, I saw a video of him driving over one with a truck.

Even though I love my Saiga, I would buy one of these AR type in a heartbeat if they were available here. I really don't believe we will ever have one though. I'm afraid they would fall under the destructive device category along with the AA-12. Some believe that the Saiga is not far behind in being classified as one as well.

When I commented on the plastic mags I was referring to my application. On my Saga I have an after market mag well installed. This requires that the mags be modified by removing the front tab that locks the front of the mag into the receiver. The mod makes it possible to (at least for me) make faster mag changes, and have the mags drop free as soon as you hit the mag release button. The down side of this is that the mags are not locked in quite as securely as with the factory set up. I don't know this for sure, because I haven't even handled one of these guns yet, but I'm guessing that the AKDEL would be easier to modify for drop free mags and rapid mag changes without compromising the security of the mag retention, just like the AR 15 (if it doesn't work right out of the box). I don't know what state your in, but as far as I know they are on sale as we speak, I see them listed on Gunbroker, and I have heard nothing about them being restricted (YET) . Depending where you are the HC mags could be an issue, but I was really just addressing the possible benefits of the design, especially for anyone that needs to switch from AR to shotgun and back quickly and often, (LE, Military,3 gun competitors). I already have a sizable investment in my Saiga, and even if this thing takes off, I don't expect to switch to the AKDEL for shotgun competition, but as I previously stated, the introduction of another well designed, box fed semi 12 ga is a good thing for us, choices are good, and it ought to have the side effect of bringing the price of the Saiga's back down to a reasonable level.