• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Premium Manufactured .260 Rem Barrels

There's alot going for the .260 Remington.  First, it's based directly off the .308 Win cartridge, and it uses necked-down .308 Win brass (or necked-up .243 Win brass). Standard .308 mags will work just fine, no special mags needed.  Since it's based directly from the .308 Win cartridge, you will be using a standard .308 AR BCG - no special BCGs with weird bolt faces.  The .260 Remington has just a little more case capacity over 6.5 Creedmoor, a little more velocity because of that, and in the right hands that can mean it's a little more accurate.  Ammo is not as off-the-shelf plentiful, like the 6.5C is, but that doesn't matter if you load your own ammo.  If you do, you probably already have .308 Win brass sitting around, ready to go.  RCBS makes a die set, for certain - I've already got it.  I'm not sure which other reloading manufacturers make dies, though.

Until very recently, if you wanted to make up a .260 Remington large-frame AR, you had to have the barrel made by a custom barrel maker.  A few months ago, that all changed, when Wilson Combat released their .260 Rem barrels.  They only have two of them (20" and 24"), but they are both Match Grade barrels.  I already have a Wilson Combat match barrel on my .338 Federal, and I can say it's a damn great barrel. 

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/260-Remington/products/1038/

TR-260THRG20FT8_1.jpg

Well, earlier today, LaRue Tactical announced that they are selling their .260 Remington barrels separately (before, you could only get one if you bought a .260 OBR). LaRue will be selling their 18" and 22" barrels.

https://www.larue.com/products/260-combo/?utm_source=LaRue+Tactical+Newsletter&utm_campaign=dcf2f1cdbb-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_06_30_07_32&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eca3a85af8-dcf2f1cdbb-309817289&mc_cid=dcf2f1cdbb&mc_eid=bd9d7dbc01

a0165615453f1e99721dc9782cff58e5.png

This is VERY good news, for everyone - the .260 Rem ARs are becoming more "in demand," and hopefully, this is a sign that more manufacturers will take notice of, and start getting more barrels out there...

(Hey, Faxon!  Are you guys listening?...)

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is VERY good news, for everyone - the .260 Rem ARs are becoming more "in demand," and hopefully, this is a sign that more manufacturers will take notice of, and start getting more barrels out there...

Be nice if the ammo choices would increase as well. No reason 260 FGMM should sell for anymore than it's big cousin. With thousands of once fired 308 cases stashed I can see myself reloading it once my work life slows a bit.

@98Z5V Are the LaRue OBR barrels plug and play with the DPMS platforms?

5 minutes ago, Sisco said:

If I can’t get 21 and 3/4”. I will go 22”. Or have it custom cut and threaded.

That magic number from the Houston warehouse testing ?

Find  it surprising that manufacturers don’t offer that length since it is fairly well known information.