Aero Precision Desert Tiger Stripe upper/lower/15" rail

Aero LPK

Aero rifle buffer tube and parts

ALG trigger

Magpul MOE Rifle stock, flip up sights, and Sparrow Dynamics grip in FDE

Surefire SOCOM brake

JP adjustable gas block

Barrel/BCG still TBD

I'll be throwing on an extra Aimpoint T2 until my budget recovers and I can pick up some longer range glass.

The upper/lower/rail were delivered to my FFL today. I'll start my Kalifornia 10 day jail sentence for the parts on Tuesday, then get the build going.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:17 PM, 98Z5V said:

With the barrel and BCG to be determined, why are you going with an adjustable gas block?...

Why not use an adjustable block? I have adjustable blocks on all of my .556 AR's. Haven't needed to adjust them a lot, but they came in handy a couple of times when dialing in a new build.

I'm down to either Wilson Combat or Ballistic Advantage for the barrel/bcg combo.

7 minutes ago, wurger said:

Why not use an adjustable block?

Because, most of the time, it's not even necessary.  That's why.

Build a functional gun first - from basic parts.  Determine the functionality of that gun after you build it - and determine if you need all that complicated shiit on it. 

Don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.

I have 5 of these things, in the large format.  They all run - well - and none of them have an adjustable gas block.  I probably have 15 or 18 or more AR15 variants, and none of them have adjustable gas blocks.  Multiple calibers.  MANY calibers.

Build it right, and there's zero need for an adjustable gas block.

Calibers I can think of: 5.56, 300BLK, 25/45 Sharps, (9mm, 22LR and 45ACP are blow-back, so they don't count), 6.5 Grendel, 308 Win, 338 Fed, and I'm probably forgetting one... There are multiple firearms in all those calibers, multiple barrels lengths, configurations, they all run.  The only thing I have "one" of is the 9mm, 45ACP, and 22LR ARs. All blow-back.

None have adjustable gas blocks. They run, all of them.  I'm working up a .260 Remington this month, and I'm not using an adjustable gas block on that one, either.  It'll run.

So, with that - why don't you tell me why an adjustable gas block is necessary?... It's not a necessary thing - it only adds to the cost of a rifle, and it only complicates a rifle function...

Your turn - Go!  

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Because, most of the time, it's not even necessary.  That's why.

Build a functional gun first - from basic parts.  Determine the functionality of that gun after you build it - and determine if you need all that complicated shiit on it. 

Don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.

I have 5 of these things, in the large format.  They all run - well - and none of them have an adjustable gas block.  I probably have 15 or 18 or more AR15 variants, and none of them have adjustable gas blocks.  Multiple calibers.  MANY calibers.

Build it right, and there's zero need for an adjustable gas block.

Calibers I can think of: 5.56, 300BLK, 25/45 Sharps, (9mm, 22LR and 45ACP are blow-back, so they don't count), 6.5 Grendel, 308 Win, 338 Fed, and I'm probably forgetting one... There are multiple firearms in all those calibers, multiple barrels lengths, configurations, they all run.  The only thing I have "one" of is the 9mm, 45ACP, and 22LR ARs. All blow-back.

None have adjustable gas blocks. They run, all of them.  I'm working up a .260 Remington this month, and I'm not using an adjustable gas block on that one, either.  It'll run.

So, with that - why don't you tell me why an adjustable gas block is necessary?... It's not a necessary thing - it only adds to the cost of a rifle, and it only complicates a rifle function...

Your turn - Go!  

For one reason, when I visit my cousin in Oregon I can use his .308 suppressor and be able to adjust the gas if needed.

I would rather have an adjustable gas block and not need it than not have one and wish I did.

It's not like the $35 price difference from a standard gas block is going to blow the budget. In my experience with multiple rifles with adjustable gas blocks, an adjustable gas block isn't a complication. It's just nice to know I can adjust if needed. Be prepared...

So, is an adjustable gas block 100% necessary? No. Does an adjustable gas block complicate rifle function? Not in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the lower out of jail on Friday. BA Hanson/Premium Heavy Profile 18" barrel and BCG are in the mail.

As the barrel comes with a gas block, I will be going with a non-adjustable block for now. I will be using the gas block $ for a FDE Radian charging handle.

Replaced the Surefire brake with a PWS PRC, mostly to keep from dropping a couple of Benjamin's on a Warden.