• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Care package

Alan Waters

Bought my Aero M5 upper and lower from a local dealer a few months ago. Fed X delivered my care package on the Tuesday. BCG, small parts, Magpul PRS, Timney Calvin elite, buffer group. All from Aero. Assembled all. One problem. Safety detent pin would not protrude into safety. Either the shoulder in the receiver hole was machined shallow, or the detent pin was out of spec. with too much shoulder. Machined the hole shoulder deeper. Problem solved. Ended up with two extra roll pins and a tiny set screw [looks like a 4-40 x .125] left over. Finally figured out one roll pin would have gone into the bolt release. Aero has a threaded pin in place for that. That left one roll pin and the set screw. Spare roll pin maybe. As for the set screw. No clue.

Bought the barrel extension from Dan Lilja. Nice work. Excellent fit. Tight.   http://riflebarrels.com/shop/accessories/ar10-barrel-extension/  Hope to chamber the barrel next week. Regards to all, Alan

A side note. Had a very enjoyable [ 2hours ] breakfast with Matt Cross this morning. Picked his brain. Thank you Matt,

Edited by Alan Waters

1 hour ago, Alan Waters said:

Ended up with two extra roll pins and a tiny set screw [looks like a 4-40 x .125] left over.

Got the phonecall from Matt after your breakfast.  Apparently, you're a somewhat decent person...   :laffs:  Welcome aboard, again, in a different perspective now.

That 4-40 set screw is for the takedown pin - the takedown pin hole should be threaded for the 4-40, to capture the takedown spring - once the spring is trimmed (by the length of the set screw), you insert spring, capture it with the 4-40, and you never have to mess with it during disassembly.  The whole purpose started with the AR15 platform, and carbine recoil systems, and the takedown detent and spring entering from the back of the receiver.  set-screw it and forget it. Some .308AR platforms have the takedown detent and spring entering from under the pistol grip.  It's hit or miss by the manufacturers, but you can still capture it that way with the 4-40.

I 6-32 some of them, if they're not already tapped for a 4-40.  the 6-32 is a little bigger, and easier to do, and the 6-32 set screws are easier to get at any Ace Hardware - they don't always have the 4-40s.  Ream with appropriate drill bit, tap, done.  If it's not already threaded, you don't have to ream the hole (standard sized hole) for the 4-40 - just tap it. The size is already there, to just cut threads with a 4-40 tap.

Edited by 98Z5V

I enjoyed our conversation and breakfast, will be rejoining you at the next opportunity, hopefully with plenty of time to spare for conversation.

Alan is good people, looking forward to the time he'll be spending with us in coming days/years, I can't think of a better fit for our community.

6 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Alan is good people, looking forward to the time he'll be spending with us in coming days/years, I can't think of a better fit for our community.

You wanted to touch him, didn't you...   I just know it...   :laffs:

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Some .308AR platforms have the takedown detent and spring entering from under the pistol grip.  It's hit or miss by the manufacturers, but you can still capture it that way with the 4-40.

Found it. Threaded take down pin hole right beside the safety detent hole under the pistol grip. Thank you all.