• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Possible headspace problem

Stuken89

Just finished 308 build have not shot it yet because it was difficult to very difficult cycle live rounds and left marks all over said round and light strikes on the primer I then slathered the poop out of it with cpl and let it sit it now cycle rounds just to be safe I took said gun to local gunsmith and showed him said gun and bullets he proclaimed the barrel to be out of spec because there where horizontal line around the shoulder of the case as well as scratches all over the case and projectile I have called faxon and left a message for them call me back 

Build components 

Aero precision- upper,lower and handguard

Faxon- 18inch heavy gunner barrel, bolt carrier group, gas tube and block

Cmg- 3.5 trigger 

Hogue- pistol grig

Other- a2 stock, rifle length spring and buffer, 

I just finished building a 6.5 Creedmoor and had same issues.  Put a round in chamber with bolt locked back and round slides rite in and tip gun up and falls out.  Slowly let bolt carrier go forward and would not close, pulled back and let it go and closed on round.  Pulled bolt back and was hard to pull back but did lock back.  Put round in mad and let bolt go into battery, picked up round and closed.  hard to pull back and when round was removed brass and bullet had scratches.  I believe at this time the scrathes came from the mag and feed ramps.  Not near as smooth as my 6.5 Grendel.  If you think you have a headspace issue, get a go gage and test, you can rent or buy.

Edited by RAM2940

Is this your first AR platform weapon? I’m only asking because that looks normal to me. You have a brand new weapon that will probably take 200-400 rounds to fully break in. It’s going to be a little tight and the feed ramp scratch is very light and normal looking. Maybe I’m wrong, but, it might be time to find a new gunsmith.... Remember, the larger size and mass of the  gun only magnifies what you would see in an AR15. @98Z5V

I was initially a bit concerned about those rings on the neck of the brass; I hadn't ever noticed them before. I just looked at some of the brass from my latest 7.62x39 AR build though; and I see the same rings give or take. I did check the headspace on that build before firing; and the bolt closed snug on the Go gauge, and not at all on the No Go. My very first round was a nightmare to extract; but they got much easier as I fired it a few times. 

My anecdotes are no substitute for getting the headspace checked; but I suspect you are in a good spot, and just need to break it in. 

Light primer strikes when cycling rounds is not something I've experienced. I do remember reading that the Armalite AR-10 has a sprung firing pin to prevent that from happening. Someone else would have to chime in about compatibility of that part in your build though. 

This is my first large frame AR.  Have built several AR-15s.  The rounds I cycled through look like #4 in your picture, long scratch lines on bullet.  

Stuken89 :   Just finished assembly 3 days ago and cycled rounds yesterday.  Could be a week before I have a chance to shoot.  I was able to put a round in the chamber by hand, firmly pushed in, then tipped gun up and round fell out with no marks.  I feel the bolt or ejectors are tight and might take shooting a few rounds.  I have a double ejector bolt.

1 hour ago, RAM2940 said:

This is my first large frame AR.  Have built several AR-15s.  The rounds I cycled through look like #4 in your picture, long scratch lines on bullet.  

Stuken89 :   Just finished assembly 3 days ago and cycled rounds yesterday.  Could be a week before I have a chance to shoot.  I was able to put a round in the chamber by hand, firmly pushed in, then tipped gun up and round fell out with no marks.  I feel the bolt or ejectors are tight and might take shooting a few rounds.  I have a double ejector bolt.

This is very different from what he stated. He specifically stated he cycled the weapon. To me, that means he is dropping the BCG to get round into battery, not dropping round in open chamber. That’s why he sees the marks on the brass and projo, from the feed ramps after being stripped from the magazine 

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

This is very different from what he stated. He specifically stated he cycled the weapon. To me, that means he is dropping the BCG to get round into battery, not dropping round in open chamber. That’s why he sees the marks on the brass and projo, from the feed ramps after being stripped from the magazine 

In the second post on this thread, I wrote that the scratches happened when the round was cycled from the mag into the chamber, I got marks like on round #4 in above picture.  When I dropped a round in a open chamber, no marks on round.

55 minutes ago, RAM2940 said:

In the second post on this thread, I wrote that the scratches happened when the round was cycled from the mag into the chamber, I got marks like on round #4 in above picture.  When I dropped a round in a open chamber, no marks on round.

Which clarifies what I’m saying. This is all normal. 

The "light primer strikes" are from the firing pin's forward momentum when the BGC is slammed into battery, normal. Only one way to know if it's a headspacing issue, and that's to check the headspace. Gauges are relatively cheap. I have so little faith in people these day,  I factor the tooling into a build. 

Before I bought my HS gauges, ask the local GS how much to check HS. $50. I ask how much if I brought the bare barrel and bare bolt (takes barely 5 minutes to check) $50 and he tries to BS me saying "they need to be installed in the upper because it changes when you install the barrel into the upper". I get it. We all gotta eat but don't try to BS me. I'm BS proof.