• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Zs Mk12 Mod H in 6.5 Grendel

98Z5V

12 hours ago, N Doza said:

ave you found out if the collar on the BA 16" 6.5 SPR barrel is in the right location for the AE collar and won't tuck under the rail... looking at the pictures of the barrel I'd looks  farther away than normal

SmartSelect_20200327-100442_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200327-100431_Gallery.jpg

On the 16" they profiled it at 0.700" diameter 0.700" back from the barrel shoulder.  That's common, and they followed SPR specs on it.  Allen Engineering makes the collars:

852790670_AllenEng700by700stepcollar.thumb.png.6fcedcadfbf3c35bac9f5ec70118d712.png

I'll break this down, for future historical information. 

This is all from the Mk12 SPR Program, and the original Mk12 Mod 0 gun. And, the innovative Ops Inc 12th Model suppressor.  Ops Inc is gone, But Ron Allen from Allen Engineering was the one that made most of those suppressors for Ops Inc anyway - And Ron Allen is doing well these days.  The direct replacement for an Ops Inc 12th Model can is the Allen Engineering AEM5 can -that IS the Ops Inc 12th Model, with different engravings.  Same can.  That IS the Mk12 SPR suppressor.

Here's what the barrel profile looks like with the SPR collar on the barrel, and the specs for that are below:

1296985204_AllenEngineeringSPRAEM5setup.thumb.png.6d86e363a7f8dbf74a01e37847124e7f.png

1709727974_AllenEngineeringSPRBarrelSpec.thumb.jpg.ed8153e4aa544bad823375c9b9d18301.jpg

the M4 barrel profile.  All Colt M4 (and M4A1) barrels had a 0.700" diameter, and they stepped up 0.700" back from the barrel shoulder.  To mount up the Ops 12th to the M4 and M4A1, this was the collar that you needed to make that happen - as well as the brake, of course.

m4_collar__51682.1578789732.png?c=2&imby

M4_barrel__31638.1578789732.png?c=2

1281052320_AllenEngineeringM4collarspecs.jpg.a950d56c222c72d871b0d79672b5ec74.jpg

Here's a pic that shows both the Mk12 and the M4 barrel - with their brakes and collars, to run the Ops 12th/AEM5 cans:

1306372360_AllenEngineeringSPRandM4collars.jpg.7b2460a6d246138a216f52b24a4a3e27.jpg

If your barrel is perfect on the Colt M4 barrel pattern, and has a true 0.700" x 0.700" step, then the M4 AEM5 Collar will allow you to mount up the cans, properly.

Lots of "mil-spec" barrels out there that are not truly mil-spec, and they fuk this measurement up.  Don't expect every "mil-spec" barrel to meet that 0.700" x 0.700" true M4 military specification... 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, slaytonactual said:

Did this project ever get finished? I thing a 6.5 Grendel “Mod H” is in my future and I want to know what my hurdles to overcome are.

It's more than finished. It's one of the baddest guns I own. 

Did this project ever get finished? I thing a 6.5 Grendel “Mod H” is in my future and I want to know what my hurdles to overcome are.

If you would have read into that original thread, and hit the link in there on how this gun performed, you would have hit THIS link on it.

That would have answered all your questions.

3 years ago, I answered the question you just asked - but you didn't look. Didn't research.  The info is all here.  HERE.

Welcome aboard, go rip up an into post, and tell us all about yourself - here's the link to it:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

and I want to know what my hurdles to overcome are.

Reading Comprehension is definitely the biggest one.  Work on that one first. Then, worry about your other problems.  RC is the biggest problem you face right now, so I'd focus on that first. Worry about the minor shiit later.

That post actually didn’t answer my question, it just showed that you shot the thing. Matt’s actually looks like it has the collar and appropriate muzzle device  but yours didn’t appear to at that time and I was curious where/how those were attained. I’m sure glad I read that post and learned about your off-road adventure and .260 upper. 

Thank you for your incredibly “friendly” and “welcoming” response though. I’ll take a look at the intro post thread. 

P.S. Don’t take my response for being butthurt, I’m a bartender so I’m pretty used to people who think being abrasive is a personality trait. I also wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write four separate replies, three of them being to challenge my intelligence as if you know me. I will limit myself to two replies 😂

As far as that gun not being finished, it's been out on numerous trips and shoots.  It's my go-to gun to take up the hill, when we're shooting High Angle.  I just carry that one, and I don't have anything to worry about.  It gets it done.