Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit AR15 Builder
  • Visit
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
ARTrooper

Help me spend my money!

Recommended Posts

So the wife gave me the go ahead to use the tax return to finish my .260 rem. I need your guy's help in finding the most inexpensive quality parts and the cheapest place to purchase them. ?

What I need still.

  • Charging handle- I like simple and hope to spend around $20.
  • VG6 Epsilon 65 muzzle brake- found a few places for $66-$72, anyone know of cheaper?
  • .875 low profile gas block- hoping to spend about $30 there.

My barrel, gas tube, and bcg is already taken care of. so just need some help with those last 3 pieces. When it comes to buying gun parts, I know you guys wont let me down. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:
  • Charging handle- I like simple and hope to spend around $20.
  • VG6 Epsilon 65 muzzle brake- found a few places for $66-$72, anyone know of cheaper?
  • .875 low profile gas block- hoping to spend about $30 there.

Here are a few choices in that budget, no experience with them myself;

https://www.primaryarms.com/IsInStock+false?order=onlinecustomerprice:asc&keywords=charging handle

https://www.primaryarms.com/1+Gas-Blocks/Size+.875-in?keywords=gas block

https://www.primaryarms.com/1+Muzzle-Devices/Brand+VG6-Precision?order=onlinecustomerprice:asc&keywords=Muzzle brake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

So the wife gave me the go ahead to use the tax return to finish my .260 rem. I need your guy's help in finding the most inexpensive quality parts and the cheapest place to purchase them. ?

What I need still.

  • Charging handle- I like simple and hope to spend around $20.
  • VG6 Epsilon 65 muzzle brake- found a few places for $66-$72, anyone know of cheaper?
  • .875 low profile gas block- hoping to spend about $30 there.

My barrel, gas tube, and bcg is already taken care of. so just need some help with those last 3 pieces. When it comes to buying gun parts, I know you guys wont let me down. ?

Well, I may never hear you say THAT again, so I'm getting in this one...   :lmao:

Strike Industries for the charging handle.  Primary Arms has a very decent price for it, but if you want to shop around, search for THIS ONE...

https://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-ar-308-charging-handle-black-standard-latch-si-arch-308-bk

Id say this, though - on something with a magnified optic, and extended latch makes it a HELL of alot easier, so I'd search for this one instead, for a few bucks more.  This is straight from Strike, but you can look around.  I'll try to find something cheaper on it - but Primary Arms doesn't seem to have it right now...  This bitch, right here:

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/products/ar/charging-handle/charging-handle-with-extended-latch-308.html

Here's the extended one on Optics Planet for $42 - scroll down:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/strike-industries-charging-handle-kbzlf.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9oL2mpOr4AIVA9RkCh09aAGKEAMYAyAAEgIwAPD_BwE

VG6 Epsilon 65 is a badass muzzle device, good choice.  If you found it for $66, snatch it.  I see it for $72 at a few places, and my price on Brownells for it is $65 - so if you found it for $66, getthe damn thing already.  It's a $100 brake. 

Here's a $15 gas block:

https://www.righttobear.com/Black-Nitride-Gas-Block-Low-Profile-875-p/sbn875.htm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so after speaking with the manufacturer of the barrel I will be purchasing, I have found they do not dimple the barrel unless specifically asked for and I would need to send in my gas block. I have no issues with this, although shipping is gonna cost me. might be worth while to get a clamp on style gas block. So where can I get an inexpensive .875 low profile clamp on gas block? I have looked and not found much in that specific size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dimpling barrels is gay.  Set screws are made to bite in to the material that you "set-screw" them into. 

Dimpling barrels is WAY over-rated.  Line it up, and lock it down.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a dimpling jig but not as much for full depth dimples but to get that hole lined up. With the jig you can't get the one opposite the port wrong, lines the block up dead center of the port every time. I only drill what I need to and stopped drilling the second spot after I did one, just not needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, unforgiven said:

Faxon?

couldn't find any in the size I needed from Faxon

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Dimpling barrels is gay.  Set screws are made to bite in to the material that you "set-screw" them into. 

Dimpling barrels is WAY over-rated.  Line it up, and lock it down.  :thumbup:

so I should just forget about the dimples and use a set screw block anyways?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

couldn't find any in the size I needed from Faxon

so I should just forget about the dimples and use a set screw block anyways?

The real accuracy nuts will tell you that using the set screw blocks introduces stress to the barrel and can mess up harmonics. I agree in principal but have never seen any real testing to prove it. I try to use clamp on style blocks for most rifles but like at least one dimple if using set screw blocks. Again I have no testing to confirm it but it seems to me I can get a little better hold using a small dimple without introducing higher stresses needed with the set screw and no dimple. 

Guess this makes me at least a little gay.............who'd a thunk it. :laffs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 9:03 AM, jtallen83 said:

Guess this makes me at least a little gay.............who'd a thunk it. :laffs:

We all have a little bit of lesbian in us, you know that.  It's okay to embrace it when you use that mentality, brother...   :thumbup::banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...