• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Microstation...anyone here a wizard?

DNP

First off.....FCUK Bentley and Microstation. I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone uses this crap. For some reason a lot of the DOT's use it and for some dumber reason our city survey department has a hard on for it too. There is a reason that over 90% of the private sector uses AutoCAD...it's soooo much more user friendly and way easier to use. Granted Microstation does have a few neat tools and supposedly it's great for corridors(which I guess explains the DOT's).

I have a city project I'm working on. All my job included was verifying the city's survey work and creating a base file for some design work.  The city product is garbage. They all are. It's so damn hard to make anything look like their product. Getting work to be that ugly is actually more challenging than doing a good job. Of course they have major blunders in it that have to be fixed. The problem is that to fix it you have to pretty much redo a bunch of work that was already done. I'm running into some issues and need to find someone who knows a bit about the software. Any Microstation Guru's on here?  I'll start by saying I'm sorry if I have offended said Microstation guru with my rant. Obviously I am not skilled enough in that software and that is likely the root of my frustrations. Help....hellllllp!!!

Edited by DNP

2 hours ago, DNP said:

Getting work to be that ugly is actually more challenging than doing a good job. Of course they have major blunders in it that have to be fixed. The problem is that to fix it you have to pretty much redo a bunch of work that was already done. I'm running into some issues. 

my life without a cpu or a plan ! good luck bro. 

Edited by sketch
lipstick on a pig!

This is my 4th project. The first few weren't as bad because they were entirely my work. This one, I have to fix and replace a bunch of their work too...and that's creating my issues. I essentially deleted everything they had and started working it back up, but I've run into some styles they were using that I can't figure out how to change. A guru will probably show me a one click method....even google can't solve my issue. Which scares me. I must be the only dumbass that can't figure that problem out. 

1 minute ago, DNP said:

even google can't solve my issue. Which scares me. I must be the only dumbass that can't figure that problem out. 

Or, that Microstation stuff is so complicated, that there's a trick to it, and "you have to know which way to tickle that girl" to get it to respond...   Don't blame you, brother... 

It's all me. I am so close to finished with this thing. I promised to get it out tonight. It just crashed on me. If I just lost a bunch of data in gonna throw a computer off the bridge on my way home. 

I've forgotten so much about MicroStation, but I'll help if I can.  I used it heavily for years, and used to develop in it in UCM and MDL.

Now I've been in the ESRI world for 20 years, but I've got some guys at work that use MicroStation every day that I can lean on too.

Thank you sir!  This one went out the door and hopefully it will not return. I had a labeling issue. I was labeling contours using a seed file and styles supplied by the city. It was coming through at twice the required size and I could not figure out which setting to change to get it right. Wound up manually adjusting each one and clipping the contours around the text. Simple process screwed up my too many dependent styles.