• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA PA10 breakdown

Dexterity

5 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

A comp will help with recoil. The muzzle rise up and right is normal for right handed shooters. Thats why you aim low left with subguns.

Also any recomendations for one that works well and doesnt break the bank? Also if at all possible id prefer one that doesnt redirect back to my face too much. Ive heard of this being an issue with some. 

2 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

No body mechanics. If you look at AK47s the slash cut muzzle break pushes the muzzle down and left. My race gun shooting one handed goes up and right and you can watch it in the red dot. Left handed it goes up and left.

So the A2 flash hider is the cause? Can it be completely eliminated by replacing it by any old comp or do many comps do the same thing? 

1 minute ago, Dexterity said:

So the A2 flash hider is the cause? Can it be completely eliminated by replacing it by any old comp or do many comps do the same thing? 

No I was showing an example of what was done to help with the up and right muzzle rise. Flash hinders don't usually effect which way the muzzle goes when you pull the trigger.

7 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Woah so this redirects gases forward after venting them upward?? Does it work? (am i understanding that correctly?) 

Edited by Dexterity

5 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

Woah so this redirects gases forward after venting them upward?? Does it work? (am i understanding that correctly?) 

Yes also directs most of the sound forward. That break mostly vents gas sideways and to the rear helping with recoil. Flash can redirects noise and gases forward after they exit the muzzle break

3 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Yes also directs most of the sound forward. That break mostly vents gas sideways and to the rear helping with recoil. Flash can redirects noise and gases forward after they exit the muzzle break

Thats crazy, i wouldve thought the pressure would take a little longer to relieve if constricted like that. Interesting. How does the recoil compare with and w/o the sleeve? 

Edited by Dexterity
Bleh

1 hour ago, Dexterity said:

Thats crazy, i wouldve thought the pressure would take a little longer to relieve if constricted like that. Interesting. How does the recoil compare with and w/o the sleeve? 

Recoil is the same to me with or without.  Just less noise at the ear with.

• 2 months later...

Anything fundamental with the gun I can do to lower recoil? I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I'd like to walk away from shooting with a not so bruised shoulder. I haven't gotten a comp yet but was wondering what all I can do to mitigate recoil. Will swapping the bcg for something lighter make a significant difference?

22 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

Anything fundamental with the gun I can do to lower recoil? I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I'd like to walk away from shooting with a not so bruised shoulder. I haven't gotten a comp yet but was wondering what all I can do to mitigate recoil. Will swapping the bcg for something lighter make a significant difference?

Quickly recap all the mods you've done to it since you got it.  List the all out.  Let's shorten this up, and just get to it.   :thumbup:

Swapping your BCG to something lighter is going to kick you HARDER... 

Edited by 98Z5V

How do people setup their seemingly recoiless ar15's? I've heard an adjustable gas block is the finishing touch but I swear they reffered to it as "lightening" the bcg. Didn't make sense to me but I couldn't argue with the results. Also the only actual mods are the buffer you recommended and the springco spring. I bought psa's adjustable gas block when I got the gun but I've hesitated putting it on.

4 hours ago, Dexterity said:

How do people setup their seemingly recoiless ar15's?

Just that, you set them up, balance the gas with the weight, spring strength, etc. I have a low mass build thread in the black rifle section. Problem is you are basically setting up the rifle to run good under one certain gas pressure, I only run one round, a Federal 55 grain 5.56, other ammo has function issues without making adjustments. Even then I see marks on the brass indicating early extraction. and  almost forgot one of the more critical ingredients for a low mass lightweight build, MONEY.

308 AR's are different but most of the principals carry over, you will find copious amounts of reading here on the buffer system, gas system, etc. Speaking of we would need the details of your present system.

14 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Just that, you set them up, balance the gas with the weight, spring strength, etc. I have a low mass build thread in the black rifle section. Problem is you are basically setting up the rifle to run good under one certain gas pressure, I only run one round, a Federal 55 grain 5.56, other ammo has function issues without making adjustments. Even then I see marks on the brass indicating early extraction. and  almost forgot one of the more critical ingredients for a low mass lightweight build, MONEY.

308 AR's are different but most of the principals carry over, you will find copious amounts of reading here on the buffer system, gas system, etc. Speaking of we would need the details of your present system.

I'm fine with sticking to a single manufacturer for ammo. My current setup is mostly stock besides the springco orange 308 spring and this buffer https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-308-heavy-carbine-buffer-5.3-oz

I believe the gas tube is the wrong length like 98 said but it runs for now. I'll probably wait till it presents a problem to replace it. If I can't get the recoil down to a manageable level then I'll likely have to sell the gun as I need my wife to be able to shoot it.

15 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Also can you link me to that low mass build thread? I can't find it. Tia

On 5/5/2019 at 12:32 PM, Dexterity said:

Hello all, new resident newby here. I've recently purchased a complete lower and upper from PSA and want to share with you some things about my PA10 as I don't know much more than a few searches can tell me.

So far PSA's shipping was stellar with only 4 days from purchase to arrival for both lower/upper. 

I've taken the infamous recoil system apart and behold.

The weights come out to be 2.57oz with the spacer.

🤨 What else am I missing as far as the lower? Thanks. 

20190505_151744.jpg

Going WAY back on this - are you absolutely positive about that combined weight of that buffer that PSA shipped you?  That was 2.57oz?...

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Going WAY back on this - are you absolutely positive about that combined weight of that buffer that PSA shipped you?  That was 2.57oz?...

I can weigh it again and get back with you. But that's what the scale said at the time. It's an old scale that I'm not sure is  accurate and I don't have a way of readily testing. But that's what it said. I'll try again when I get to it.

17 hours ago, Dexterity said:

I can weigh it again and get back with you. But that's what the scale said at the time. It's an old scale that I'm not sure is  accurate and I don't have a way of readily testing. But that's what it said. I'll try again when I get to it.

Background for my question - a 2.500" aluminum-bodied buffer, with 2 tungsten weights, can only weigh a max of 3.8oz.  2.500" buffer bodies will only hold 2 weights in them.   Your 2.500" buffer was 2.57oz. 

Each steel weight in a buffer is 0.65oz, each.  Each tungsten weight in a buffer is 1.40oz, each.  2.500" buffer bodies with 2 tungsten weights weigh 3.8oz.  2.500" buffer bodies with 2 steel weights in them weigh 2.15oz. 

I only asked because that means they built that 2.500" buffer with one tungsten weight, and one steel weight, or something close to that.   That's something that's not "Accidentally" done on the assembly line...