• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA PA10 breakdown

Dexterity

Hello all, new resident newby here. I've recently purchased a complete lower and upper from PSA and want to share with you some things about my PA10 as I don't know much more than a few searches can tell me.

So far PSA's shipping was stellar with only 4 days from purchase to arrival for both lower/upper. 

I've taken the infamous recoil system apart and behold. 

I can't take an accurate length measurement of the buffer tube as I am still waiting for castle nut to come in.

Ok so if I'm not mistaken, that buffer is completely wrong and it needs to be replaced with the 5.4oz rifle one right? The weights come out to be 2.57oz with the spacer. 

Spring seems to be just past 11 and 5/16 not sure about that one I'll have to double check but I think it's wrong as well. 

🤨 What else am I missing as far as the lower? Thanks. 

20190505_151744.jpg

20190505_151856.jpg

15570839865756053607974679347360.jpg

If a rifle buffer will not work with a collapsible stock. It appears the buffer tube needs to go in 1 more turn. Just measure the inside depth of the tube. You might need to notch the bottom of the tube to clear the buffer retaining pin.

There are several threads with exact measurements and buffer weights. Search is your friend.

That's a 2.5" buffer right there (when it's assembled).   So this is what PSA is shipping now?  That receiver extension does need to go in one more turn, and you will have to notch the bottom to clear the buffer retaining pin.  That receiver extension must be 7.000" internal depth in order to run a 2.500" buffer on a .308AR. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a 2.5" buffer right there (when it's assembled).   So this is what PSA is shipping now?  That receiver extension does need to go in one more turn, and you will have to notch the bottom to clear the buffer retaining pin.  That receiver extension must be 7.000" internal depth in order to run a 2.500" buffer on a .308AR. 

The internal depth of the extension is indeed 7" on the dot. Would I be better off to replace the buffer tho? 

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

If a rifle buffer will not work with a collapsible stock. It appears the buffer tube needs to go in 1 more turn. Just measure the inside depth of the tube. You might need to notch the bottom of the tube to clear the buffer retaining pin.

There are several threads with exact measurements and buffer weights. Search is your friend.

I'll get on it as soon as my castle nut wrench comes in. I'll keep yall posted. Thanks. 

You'll have to break that castle nut staking free - looks like that one spot was staked pretty good.

That buffer has an  aluminum body and two tungsten weights in it.  No more than 2 weights will fit.  Only way to make it heavier is to get a DSG buffer with the stainless steel body.  It comes with steel weights in it.  Cross your two tungsten weights over into that SS body, and it'll give you a 5.15oz buffer.  Or, buy a KAC Shorty heavy buffer that weighs in at 5.3oz.  That's about as close as you'll be able to get. 

Put a Sprinco Orange spring in there for an operating spring.  Try that first and see how the gun does. 

50 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You'll have to break that castle nut staking free - looks like that one spot was staked pretty good.

That buffer has an  aluminum body and two tungsten weights in it.  No more than 2 weights will fit.  Only way to make it heavier is to get a DSG buffer with the stainless steel body.  It comes with steel weights in it.  Cross your two tungsten weights over into that SS body, and it'll give you a 5.15oz buffer.  Or, buy a KAC Shorty heavy buffer that weighs in at 5.3oz.  That's about as close as you'll be able to get. 

Put a Sprinco Orange spring in there for an operating spring.  Try that first and see how the gun does. 

25762 here's the part number for the sprinco spring. I'm really planning on replacing the buffer anyway for recoil. Will this work with the KAK shorty buffer? 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to the range with the new buffer and sprinco spring installed and the gun seemed to function fine until i got to an empty mag and the bcg didnt lock all the way back. Me and a worker at the range took the buffer out and he said that if he had to guess, the buffer was too long and so we put the stock buffer back in and from then on (about 60 more rounds) the gun performed flawlessly. 

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Moral of the story: ALWAYS fire a new gun as is before changing anything. It just may work, though PSA’s track record is spotty.

True. I was convinced things were wrong from the get go and figured the first thing id want to see was it firing without any fte's or ftf's so i went ahead and got the replacements. Just as a heads up tho the KAC shorty buffer is a good bit longer than the carbine buffer that PSA sent stock. Is there anyway i can make the stock one heavier? 

10 hours ago, Dexterity said:

Finally got to the range with the new buffer and sprinco spring installed and the gun seemed to function fine until i got to an empty mag and the bcg didnt lock all the way back. Me and a worker at the range took the buffer out and he said that if he had to guess, the buffer was too long and so we put the stock buffer back in and from then on (about 60 more rounds) the gun performed flawlessly. 

Tracking back through this thread, that's a verified 7.000" internal depth extension, Springco Orange spring, and KAK 5.3oz heavy buffer that's 2.500" long.  If the BCG didn't lock back - your gas port is too small, or your gas tube is too short.  It's one of those.  Knowing how PSA ships these guns, it's both.

7 hours ago, Dexterity said:

True. I was convinced things were wrong from the get go and figured the first thing id want to see was it firing without any fte's or ftf's so i went ahead and got the replacements. Just as a heads up tho the KAC shorty buffer is a good bit longer than the carbine buffer that PSA sent stock. Is there anyway i can make the stock one heavier? 

I'd love to see pics of both these buffers, side by side, with a measuring tape next to both of them.  You did state that this was a 7.000" internal depth extension.  I'd love to know which buffer isn't exactly 2.500" long. 

Just trying to gather information, man - not attacking in any way.  :thumbup:

You DID order this very specific KAK buffer...   right?  This one, this very one:

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr308-carbine-buffer-heavy

Edited by 98Z5V

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Tracking back through this thread, that's a verified 7.000" internal depth extension, Springco Orange spring, and KAK 5.3oz heavy buffer that's 2.500" long.  If the BCG didn't lock back - your gas port is too small, or your gas tube is too short.  It's one of those.  Knowing how PSA ships these guns, it's both.

I'd love to see pics of both these buffers, side by side, with a measuring tape next to both of them.  You did state that this was a 7.000" internal depth extension.  I'd love to know which buffer isn't exactly 2.500" long. 

Just trying to gather information, man - not attacking in any way.  :thumbup:

You DID order this very specific KAK buffer...   right?  This one, this very one:

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr308-carbine-buffer-heavy

Haha all good man. But no i didnt order that specific buffer bc when i searched for shorty buffer i had something else come up that said. 308 buffer but it definitely does not look like the one you linked. Simple misunderstanding. I will say tho that the recoil beat the crap out of my shoulder. Didnt realize it had bruised me till i went to take a shower. Def want to get that recoil a little more manageable. Hopefully dropping the heavier buffer in wont cause any gas system issues. I just emailed KAK to see about exchanging it. Thanks. 

28 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-308-heavy-carbine-buffer-5.3-oz

Will this one work? Its a good bit cheaper and looks to be the same thing. 

Dimensions and weight work - should be fine.  Primary Arms is a solid vendor, so if it doesn't work, from them, I'll buy if from you for what you have to pay.  That's my PA Money-Back Guarantee.  :thumbup:

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Dimensions and weight work - should be fine.  Primary Arms is a solid vendor, so if it doesn't work, from them, I'll buy if from you for what you have to pay.  That's my PA Money-Back Guarantee.  :thumbup:

Haha thanks. You've been a real saint through this whole process. I'll keep you updated! 

2 hours ago, Dexterity said:

https://www.righttobear.com/Ballistic-Advantage-16-308-Tac-Gov-Midlength-AR1-p/babl308003m.htm

Does anyone know if i can replace the pa10 barrel with this one? If so/if not, how can i tell which barrels will work? 

You certainly can.  Ballistic Advantage makes some great barrels, too.  Fine choice.   :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so second range report and the rifle is still running like a champ. I put the buffer that 98 recommended and i thought it significantly helped with felt recoil, but now ive noticed that the muzzle rises pretty sharply to my 1:00-2:00 area. Is that a symptom of something? I dont recall noticing it on my first run of the gun. Also the recoil is still a bit much for me. Anything i can do for it? Will a comp address felt recoil?