• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mosberg 5500 MKII

mrraley

Going through the safe and managed to find a shotgun that I acquired while in the ARMY.

Had a guy in the barracks that needed some money and I loaned it and took the shotgun as collateral.

Well, one of us PSC'd and the shotgun stayed in my possession. At the time, not a bad trade for $100.

The thing had been bastardized... the 28" barrel had been cut to 18" and the buttstock had been replaced with a pistol grip. But for a semi-auto, it would be a good home defense piece.

Now... 25 years and many moves later, I have finally settled into a house that I am going to be in till death do us part. So, I've pulled it back out of retirement, gave a good cleaning,  and have made it my garage go to gun. Strategically placed so when I'm in the garage and some unauthorized thing decides to try to make entry, it will be dealt with accordingly.   

But in doing some research, I have realized that this was a short lived run by Mossberg and finding replacement parts are getting a little harder to find (not that they can't be found).

So my question is... do I still use it or put it back into retirement?

• 2 weeks later...

@DNP man that brings back memories, my very first shotgun was a Mossberg 5500 MKII. One of those guns that I wish I never sold.

I put, and I aint exaggerating here, over a quarter million rounds through that shotgun, In my younger days I used to sub contract for the Pest Destruction Board here in NZ, we used to night shoot rabbits in Central Otago, a province here that was overrun in plague proportions with Grey rabbits , they supplied the ammo and the diesel for the trucks and we did the rest.

Those were the days.