• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Upper Build/Assembly Questions

Dport257

I decided to get into an AR308 and wanted to assemble a range/hog hunting/hobby gun (not a duty grade, go to war battle rifle).  So I Purchased a PA10 18" SS Midlength Upper some time ago. It has been sitting for a while unfired due to other projects. I've decided to finish it now and have been researching improvements I can make while assembling. I have noticed two things upon closer inspection. There are some wear spots on the bolt lugs. I have emailed PSA and sent photos. I'm waiting to hear back. Should I continue with this bolt? Is this normal from PSA? I haven't seen this with any of my AR's.  Also, after reading numerous articles I decided to purchase an adjustable gas block and I am waiting on one from Odin Works as of this writing. In preparation for the new gas block, I removed the handguard and noticed the gas tube contacts the barrel nut slightly. If the new gas block doesn't reposition the tube better, I guess I will be filing down the barrel nut as in bfoosh06's Post. 

Now to the lower. Around the same time I purchased the aforementioned upper, I bought a fixed stock PA10 Lower with their EPT trigger. It too is unfired. I manually function tested both and that was it. With the new interest in finishing a 308 I was on PSA's site and of course they had a sale. Thinking I'd rather have an adjustable stock on this build the price was too good not to purchase their FD "Miad" complete lower with an EPT trigger. (I figured I'd save the fixed stock lower for a 6.5 build later or a 20" .308.) Upon receiving the new lower I found another problem. It wouldn't lock the bolt back. Further inspection revealed that it had the wrong bolt catch installed. After a long time on hold customer service said they would ship a correct bolt catch. A few days went by and a new bolt catch arrived in a bag marked PA10 bolt catch however it is incorrect as well (identical to the 1st one). At this time I had been in contact with PSA's LE/Government sales representatives about something else. I mentioned this bolt catch and John sent me another one. This time it was in the same package as the first, but it was correct and matched the one that came in my fixed stock lower. (Thanks John) I installed said bolt catch and it works as it should. I have attached pictures to help show he difference. The two side by side show the incorrect bolt catch is too short to properly contact the follower. The picture of the lower with a mag installed shows the correct replacement. The incorrect one barely contacts the mag follower to lock the bolt and absolutely will not manually lock the bolt. 

Also, the buffer tube that cam with mine is marked "PA10". And it has an "H" marked buffer. Is this going to cause problems? Also, I am about to order a Tubbs Flatwire spring.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. 

20190529_072146.jpg

20190529_072116.jpg

20190529_072247.jpg

20190602_103041.jpg

20190418_211305.jpg

20190418_211135.jpg

20190602_093158.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sldavenport1 said:

When I removed the handguard I noticed my gas tube also contacts the barrel nut.

Where does the gas tube end in the receiver?  It should end in the middle of the gas key cutout.

1161192253_IMG_20190602_1003582.thumb.jpg.d307fdc65f2fd2162dab14f235e5c0d2.jpg

This is on an AR15 but the idea is the same.  PSA has frequently used one that is too short.  It will still work OK many times, but it has been a source of problems for others.  Armalite carbine gas tube is slightly longer and, if I remember correctly, has a slightly bigger bend to get over the larger barrel nut.  

Here it is at Armalite.  It is OOS currently but you can get on the notification list or call them to see if they have one.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar-10-carbine-length-gas-tube-10007005/

Armed Eye Doc,

You are correct, seems the gas tube is incorrect. I'll need to order an Armalite one. Carbine length right? Or is there another one that may be in stock somewhere? 

Also, I was checking the buffer system and it appears it may be incorrect as well. I got an H buffer that is 3.25" long and a spring that is 11.25" long. Will an adjustable buffer from Odin Works and a Tubbs flatwire spring fix this? 

I haven't fired this thing yet, but I'd like to install correct parts before I do.

20190602_134034.jpg

20190602_140230.jpg

20190602_141255.jpg

20190602_141320.jpg

Looks like they finally got the receiver extension right, at 7 5/8" internal depth.  Lose the H buffer and that spring, replace with AR15 Carbine H3 buffer and Armalite EA1095 spring.  Replace the too-short gas tube with the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube.  Since he already has an adjustable gas block on the way, measure the gas port diameter when the original gas block is off - I'm betting its 0.070" gas port diameter, which is too small for an 18" midlength-gas .308AR barrel with a 0.750" gas block diameter.  Drill it to 0.080~0.085", then install the new adjustable gas block (the adjustable gas block won't be necessary at this point, but it's on the way, so might as well use it).  Always test an adjustable gas block wide-open.  Open the gas flow as far as it will go, and run the gun until it's broken in.  Once it's fully broken in, then you can start playing with gas flow.

My $0.02.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

Checking the buffer tube and wondering...is this gonna cause me issues as well? Does it look like its screwed far enough in? If not I can enlarge the slot in the tube for the detent and try screwing it in one more turn.  Problem is they actually staked the castle nut. 

20190603_181052.jpg

20190603_180952.jpg

20190603_181044.jpg

Armed Eye Doc,

Just got off the phone with Armalite and a super helpful sales guy said they were in the middle of inventory, but he would be able to put his hands on some shortly. I went ahead and ordered two. He said if they don't ship out by the end of this week, they will by the first of next. So the trick is to definitely call and ask. 

35 minutes ago, Sldavenport1 said:

Checking the buffer tube and wondering...is this gonna cause me issues as well? Does it look like its screwed far enough in? If not I can enlarge the slot in the tube for the detent and try screwing it in one more turn.  Problem is they actually staked the castle nut. 

20190603_181052.jpg

20190603_180952.jpg

20190603_181044.jpg

It definitely needs to go in one more turn, and you'd have to notch that bottom "flare" on it deeper to do that.  However, if your measurement was correct, and you had a true 7 5/8" from the front edge of the lower receiver to the bottom of that extension, then don't mess with it...  

Run it - you're okay.  :thumbup:  Get the right buffer weight in there (AR15 H3 buffer, from anywhere), and a good spring (Armalite EA1095), and watch for contact on your lower receiver.  I'll find a pic of what I'm talking about, for the "contact on the lower."

Edited by 98Z5V

Okay, thanks. I can turn it in a little more if enlarge the detent slot on the tube, but it'll be a pain undoing the castle nut since they staked it.  Funny how palmetto makes so many other mistakes, but yet they actually stake the castle nut. Lol. 

So, my thoughts on Palmetto so far are this: they have great prices, and killer deals sometimes on ammo and magazines. I've purchased a lot. I appreciate what they do as for the pricing on all their AR related items too, i.e. lowers, uppers, stripped receivers etc. I even appreciate being able to purchase these AR 308 components so cheap. There customer service and quality control need some serious work, but that is probably one of the things that keep costs down for them. Quality is not always terrible, but everything you buy, you need to be a little familiar with standards and how things are supposed to go together, because there are a lot of mistakes. You don't have to know everything, just understand all the stuff needs to be checked and find a good resource for research. I think what I have is a hobby gun and with research, as well as some money, I can assemble a decent gun. I'll get this one shooting and try to document my progress here. We'll see if this is my last AR308 from Palmetto. I have the feeling I probably could or should, have upgraded and bought a better gun that I wouldn't have to re-engineer. Maybe not, so far it's been fun doing the small amount of tinkering I have done. I've got a fixed stock PA10 lower also. I'll wait to finish this one to see if I keep that one. All in all, I guess I knew what I was getting into, cheap gun, expect problems. Yes, PSA could have done this or that and they could have used this part or should have used that part, but it is what it is; they assembled a cheap 308 for the masses and if you want it to run better you're gonna have to spend some money and tinker with it.

The lugs in the barrel extension look fine. I'm guessing this from their test fire, if they even do one, because I haven't shot it yet. Fixing other problems first. I've emailed it to the customer service email address twice with pictures. No response. I guess I'll sit on hold with them tomorrow (forever) to sit what they will do, just like when I had to call about having the wrong bolt catch. Sheesh.

I have alot of test fires on new guns, and I've never done that to one of my bolts.  I'd be bugging them for a new one, too. 

Definitely use that "Lifetime Warranty" they state.

Edited by 98Z5V