PA10 Upper Build/Assembly Questions

Dport257

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Sldavenport1 said:

Received the Tubbs Flatwire spring today. Man, its way longer than the one PSA shipped in this lower. Hope this thing works well with the Odin Works Adjustable buffer. Anyone else have experience with the Tubbs spring?

20190620_170057.jpg

If that's the Chrome Silicon flat-wound spring, I can vouch for it. 

1 hour ago, Sldavenport1 said:

Anyone else have experience with the Tubbs spring?

I have several in various rifles and never an issue. They are made to work in both rifle and carbine extensions so putting it in and getting it out of the carbine extension can get a little exciting but it does smooth things up and quiet things down a little.

Good to hear. Now, if palmetto will hurry up and send a replacement bolt, I'll fire this thing and see how it shoots. I want a new handguard, but I'll wait on that. I want to see how bad this barrel is then I'll research a replacement and do it all at once.

Edited by Sldavenport1

• 3 months later...

Ok, so Igot it together and have taken it to the range, and I fired about 20 rounds through it, enough to get the gas block set where I think it works best.  I wasn't able to shoot any more than that at the time. Yesterday, I took it out and fired 20 more rounds through it. Functioned great, but man it kicks way more than I expected. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it has a lot of muzzle rise. This may be normal, I don't know, but it feels like it kicks considerably more than my 700 in .308. Any tips?  I have the Odin works adjustable buffer weighted at the same as an AR10. 

20190627_183549.jpg

19 hours ago, Sldavenport1 said:

I'll try more weight. This may be normal for this gun, I don't know. This is my first 308 AR, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It's not unbearable, just more recoil than I expected. 

Just make sure, when you're adding buffer weight - you want it to still lock the BCG back on the last round.  When you go up in weight, just test single-round lock back initially. 

You might need to change the spring, since you're already at 5.8oz on the buffer...  What spring do you have in there now?  And how long is the internal depth of that receiver extension?

7.000" internal (6 15/16" for Armalite M15), or 7 5/8" internal.  Those are the only numbers that will ever make any sense in a small-frame AR15 or a .308AR, and a Carbine Receiver Extension.   There is only one Rifle Receiver Extension across them all (NOT for Rock River LAR-8s!) - that depth is 9 11/16", rifle extension.    :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure RRA uses standard extension in the LAR-8s - I just don't have one to confirm.  Their LAR-8 buffers, both rifle and carbine, are a different length than AR-10/DPMS parts...

Edited by 98Z5V

19 hours ago, Sldavenport1 said:

Double checked, my buffer tube is 7-5/8"

Receiver extension, buffer, and spring should be good to go.  How did you adjust this gas block?  Did you dial it all the way down, click at a time, until there wasn't enough gas to cycle the action (lock a single round-mag - lock the bolt to the rear)?  Run it down until it won't lock the bolt back on a single-round mag, then dial it back up until it does lock that bolt back on a single round. After that, open it up one more. 

• 5 months later...

98Z5V, 

It's been a while, I'm back to tinkering with this rifle again and had a question.  Was I supposed to go with an AR15 length buffer? I went with that Odin works adjustable and weighted it correctly, after reading other posts was wondering if I was supposed to use a shorter buffer. It runs, but with all this down time I've been doing some reading on other's builds. Also, I never inspected the gas port like I should, but will shortly. 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. 

Ok, I got the Odin works AR15 adjustable buffer and added weights to make it 5.8oz. Is that weight equal to an H3? Now, after reading more on this topic I see some "AR10" buffers appear to be shorter. That was my concern, is this one too long? Also, the shorter AR10 buffers on their site only weigh 4.65oz.

Thanks again.