• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie but learning

SC-Brad

I did my research, and given my available funds, I ordered a PA-10 18" Stainless kit with the classic lower.

Being naïve, I expected it to come with assembly instructions.  When there wasn't a piece of paper in the box, I went down to my local PSA and asked and was told, to search YouTube.  I did, and found no decent (that I could find) videos for my PA-10 that were not based on major upgrades.  So I found a number of sites and stuff and winged it.  Now it is all together and I mounted my scope and I realize I have a few parts left over that I have no idea what they are for.  I searched for where they might go, but no luck.

I have this

image.png.90903cf8a6647aae03ff3f0ee76ab0ff.png

a roll pin a thin spring and detent pin.  But everything appears right, I not sure if I got extras by mistake, or??  But being a newbie who doesn't know the names of most of these parts how am I to know?

I have so many other questions, like what bipod works with the midlength hand guard, accessories that are worth the cost, etc.  But since I have not fired it yet (a little afraid with spare parts) 

I guess I will keep reading and wait for some advice from the experts.

Thanks Sisco,

Not a problem,  Waiting for a person who knows is better than getting a quick answer from someone who thinks they do.

I am not even sure what I can provide that will help?  I can take pics, get kit numbers, etc.  

I just know after browsing this site for a while, that there are people here that know more about rifles than most Dr's know about medicine.

3 hours ago, SC-Brad said:

a roll pin a thin spring and detent pin.

Last two PSA parts kits I used had an extra detent and spring in them. I imagine the roll pin is for the trigger guard you didn't need.

Check the headspace, a must do safety thing if you build it yourself. Check and see if the bolt will lock back, insert magazine, pull charging handle to the rear, bolt catch should be holding the bolt on the face. If those checks are good then put one round in the mag, chamber it and fire, the bolt should be locked back. If it's not report back with a picture of the gas tube ending in the upper receiver, your buffer tube inside length, buffer length and weight, and spring length with coil count. 

40 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

The item in the pic is the bottom of the trigger guard opening. Did you put the decent and springs in both the takedown pins? You didn't show a pic I'd the detent and spring you have left over. There is also a different spring and detent for the safety.

Yes, I put one long thin spring and detent in each takedown.  My lower, had an enclosed trigger guard, so I assume I don't need the part I pictured.

And yes, the safety spring is shorter.  There was a spring on the trigger assembly, the mag catch, the mag release, all which were different sizes.  But the bag of parts for the take down had these parts in it.  But each take down only had one place for spring and detent.

image.png.c1bb6ffc3c17430cf77fb653c0066b65.png 

Thanks

34 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Last two PSA parts kits I used had an extra detent and spring in them. I imagine the roll pin is for the trigger guard you didn't need.

Check the headspace, a must do safety thing if you build it yourself. Check and see if the bolt will lock back, insert magazine, pull charging handle to the rear, bolt catch should be holding the bolt on the face. If those checks are good then put one round in the mag, chamber it and fire, the bolt should be locked back. If it's not report back with a picture of the gas tube ending in the upper receiver, your buffer tube inside length, buffer length and weight, and spring length with coil count. 

From your advise

1) Check the headspace, a must do safety thing if you build it yourself. I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is this?

2) Check and see if the bolt will lock back  I checked this during assembly and when I attached upper assy

3) insert magazine,  The Hexmags I got are stiff putting in and have to be pulled out.  But, I have not oiled the mag well yet, so that might make a difference.

4) pull charging handle to the rear, bolt catch should be holding the bolt on the face  Not sure what the face is, but the charging handle works as designed and the bolt pulls back and locks as it is supposed to (at least as I think it is supposed to.)

I will not be able to get to a range for a week or so, but I will definitely get back and update as suggested.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, SC-Brad said:

But, I have not oiled the mag well yet

Don't oil the mag, wipe it clean, use a dry lube if you need to lube it.

5 minutes ago, SC-Brad said:

but what is this?

Here is the basics, a search here will give you every angle you need on headspace. 

I know most of the jargon and names for my handguns, but I guess there is a whole new set for rifles.  Is there a rifles for dummies that I can research so I don't ask dumb questions?

JTallen83 said "If it's not report back with a picture of the gas tube ending in the upper receiver, your buffer tube inside length, buffer length and weight, and spring length with coil count."

If these things are critical, shouldn't I check them before I load one and hope it goes bang?

And if I do need to count and measure the spring, is there a trick to hold the retaining detent for the buffer spring down to remove the spring?

11 minutes ago, SC-Brad said:

If these things are critical, shouldn't I check them before I load one and hope it goes bang?

They are critical just not a safety issue like headspace, most don't show up here till after they tried to fire the weapon and had problems. With a little time on the search engine here you will quickly see a pattern develop for PSA rifles, they have had recoil system issues. PSA has regularly changed the components so we don't know what you have, the measurements and pictures will help diagnose any issues, post them up now and I'm sure you will get some input on them. 

16 minutes ago, SC-Brad said:

is there a trick to hold the retaining detent for the buffer spring down to remove the spring?

Grow a third hand! :laffs: Take it slow and the little things like this will show themselves, you'll have your own method that works for you in no time. :thumbup:

I read the post on Head Space, and I am not sure exactly what I am looking for.  I took some pics that I hope show something, though the lighting is not the best.

Any help appreciated

Not sure why only one pic would upload, I will keep trying to upload the others

PA-10 Head Space Check 4.JPG

Thanks again jtallen83,

It looks like I totally missed the boat on that head space issue.  Even though I purchased a complete upper, I see the point of checking it out.  

I ordered some rounds but they won't be here until Monday.  So I can't use a round as a go/no go gauge.  I will check around and see if I can find some proper gauges.