• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Parts compatibility, am I correct?

Scott Clearman

I currently have an 80% 308 lower, which I plan to mill out to DPMS specs this weekend.  My intention is to build a 16" hunting rig, fixed stock, semi-lightweight and suppress it.  

I am getting ready to buy parts for the build, am I correct that:

• any upper receiver will work
  • Barrel and bolt have to match (DPMS/DPMS or AR10/AR10) and carrier is non specific
  • hammer/trigger/disconnector can be 'any' 308 labeled set, and the rest of the lower parts need to be either DPMS or AR10 specific
  • any buffer tube matched to a stock (non 308 specific)
  • Buffer and spring have to work together but are independent of other parts

Just trying to make sure what I think is correct actually is.

Scott

4 hours ago, Scott Clearman said:

I currently have an 80% 308 lower, which I plan to mill out to DPMS specs this weekend.  My intention is to build a 16" hunting rig, fixed stock, semi-lightweight and suppress it.  

I am getting ready to buy parts for the build, am I correct that:

• any upper receiver will work
  • Barrel and bolt have to match (DPMS/DPMS or AR10/AR10) and carrier is non specific
  • hammer/trigger/disconnector can be 'any' 308 labeled set, and the rest of the lower parts need to be either DPMS or AR10 specific
  • any buffer tube matched to a stock (non 308 specific)
  • Buffer and spring have to work together but are independent of other parts

Just trying to make sure what I think is correct actually is.

Scott

I will say first is that I am no expert.  There are many here much more knowledgeable than I am.  I will try to answer questions as best as I can.  Several of the members are at a "retreat" and may be off the site for a few days.

1. All uppers are not the same.  It would be best to ask the maker of the lower what will function with their product.  There are threads that point to the basic difference between DPMS and Armalite based lowers.

2. That is true to my knowledge.  Others may have better knowledge.

3. Fire control group is not specific for AR15 or 308 for the most part.  Some trigger manufacturers do have different models though.  LPK are not all the same either.  Some of the differences in manufacturers of lowers make it so that some pieces of a complete parts kit work and others don't.  Again, asking the manufacturer of the lower may be of help.

4. Receiver extensions (buffer tubes) for 308ARs come in 3 common types: rifle length, DPMS carbine length which is the same as AR15 carbine length at 7 inches internal depth, and Armalite carbine length at 7 5/8 inches internal depth.  Rifle length require rifle stocks and any carbine stock will fit either carbine tube.

5. Rifle buffers for 308ARs should all be the same length.  Carbine buffers come in 2 lengths depending on which receiver extension you have.  A DPMS based extension requires a 2.5 inch buffer.  An Armalite based extension requires a 3.25 inch buffer.  

A good reference for buffers, springs and tubes is here.  

Or here.  http://heavybuffers.com/

A good way to be sure 4 and 5 work together is to buy this.  If it is OOS, call them or get on their notification email.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/