• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 AR Bolt Carriers and Bolt Carrier Groups

imschur

• 7 months later...

I really wanted a BCG that was made from something other than phosphated steel AND that supported the forward assist/dust cover. It also had to come in a semi-automatic format. So far the only thing that I have found that fits the bill is JP's JPBC-4BA

1363.jpg 

From JP's website:

"Complete bolt carrier assembly with JPBC-4 .308 Low Mass Carrier and JPEB-308 JP EnhancedBolt™ with cam pin, firing pin and firing pin retainer. This kit is only compatible as a complete unit when used in a DPMS LR-308 or equivalent. Not for use in Bushmaster, Rock River or Armalite .308-type rifles.

For police tactical duty or any application where absolute reliability is the main criteria, we have our TOS™ or Tactical Operating System with 416 stainless steel special design carrier that includes forward assist serrations and a dust cover notch. The bore of the JP stainless carriers has a roller burnished finish for frictionless operation with no chance of peeling chrome as in standard mil-spec carriers. The exterior bearing surfaces are hand polished. When properly lubricated, both systems make your rifle feel like it was cycling on ball bearings.

Both the [low mass] and the [high mass] carriers feature a 100% increase in bearing surface for smoother operation and improved alignment and lower wear in the upper receiver. Both are M15 semi auto configuration in the rear with the mil-spec longer cocking pad in the front for best reliability. This is hands-down the best designed and highest quality general purpose carrier on the market. Sold as carrier with installed key or as a compete assembly for .308 w/ the EnhancedBolt and EnhancedBolt Assembly Kit."

Price:  $440 (439.95)  A savings of $100 over components bought individually!

DocLarsen

Just got off the phone with JP and they told me that they have plenty of Carriers ready, but are waiting on the bolts.  I tried to get them to just sell me the carrier, but they would not.  I can get the bolt right now from Brownells.  Just to point that out to everyone else, Brownells has the JP bolt in stock and they are very nice.  I can get them for $10.00 cheaper at the dealer cost plus shipping.  I am not a dealer, but have a business license on file at Brownells so I can get a little discount.

TacBlade or anyone else who knows,

It is my understanding that JP's bolt should work with any DPMS or DPMS compatible barrel extension.  In case of a barrel bought from anyone other than DPMS, is checking with a NO-GO gauge the only sure fire way to know if the bolt/extension combination is OK? If so, I think I'll just go ahead and order one from Sinclair.  I checked them out the other day and the Forster Go/No Go/Field headspace gauges cost something like $22 each; sounds like cheap insurance to me.

DocLarsen

Yes, that sounds like a good idea! I think I will order one up also. 

Guess what?  JP sent out the Bolt and Carrier today!  I got a notice of shipping in an email. That was pretty quick, considering I just talked to them yesterday!!!  I will be able to fire my new build finally!!  But, like you said above, I should get one of the Go/No Go gauges first?

• 3 weeks later...

I just got this from SI Defense;

"We're working on them now and they are in production. We still have to have them mag pen, shot peened, heat treated and coated, so we're looking at around Christmas to the New Year. That would be a rough ETA. We would sure like to have them as soon as possible as well!"

Cross your fingers. I'm writing my letter to Santa right now.

When I got my shipment from Bill Springfield, the lower receiver parts kit with his worked over stock trigger (which I LOVE, BTW) it included a pistol grip.  Now, I also got a pistol grip (which I also love) with my ATI Strikeforce stock package. I also have a leftover AR-15 carbine buffer from that kit. 

My brother-in-law, who is married to my wife's sister, says that she loves her .223.  In fact, he told me that he has been avoiding reloading .223 ammo because she will shoot it up faster than he can make it. ;D

Since I have these "extra" two parts, one of which is interchangeable and the other which is AR-15 specific, and given what could be a genetic predisposition to enjoy shooting, I think I really ought to build my wife an AR-15.  Do you guys agree??  (That's a rhetorical question <thumbsup>)

DocLarsen

Hey Doc, word of advice, when doing anything gun-related "for your wife"... go BIG. I personally recommend several flavors of AR, deck a few out with your personal preferences too, cause' theres no telling what you and your sweetie have in common when it comes to gun tastes. She might be especially delighted if you buy matching handguns and/or tactical knives....

Finally, should it turn out (God forbid) that she's not that into gun stuff... well, you can take all that off her hands for her with not one cross word in exchange.  <thumbsup>

<munch>

*Watch closely fellas, divorces make for GREAT gun sales....* <laughs> <lmao>

• 1 month later...

Fail zero  technology is a good thing & that, I'm sure took the price up ,probably $100 , so if you took that off ,it would be around the price of a DPMS.

I can still almost get two DPMS BCG's for that price & I like SI Defence products . If I build a another AR308, I would use there upper & lower & I would have to use there BCG.

Who knows the price may come down after a while & we all don't need FZ tech. in out rifles, they may offer it with out it ,ya never know .

This may be good for military contracts.

S/S BCG , now that's also interesting . Just wish I had a lot of $$ to throw around for testing . I have two AR's I'm building now (not 308's ) & will keep me occupied for the better part of this year.