• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spikes Dyna comp

Jgun

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the .308 parts section instead of the 300 BLK section, but since I picked it up to use on my 300, here it is. I picked up one of the new (I think) .30 cal Dyna comps from Spikes tactical. It looks somewhat  Battlecompish, allthough less expensive. If I can ever find the time to get back to the range to test my third run of test loads, I plan to try this out as well (as soon as I time it).

post-164-136297268377_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297268379_thumb.jpg

The comp's very light. I like that, some of the comps have enough mass that I can actually (or think I can) feel the added weight when swinging the gun, which has a very thin and light barrel. I also found that when I cut the back of it to index the comp, the melonite coating was hard to cut through. I guess the things they say about the QPQ treatment are true. I'm thinking that I'd like to try out a QPQ treated barrel next, just wondering if the treatment effects accuracy?

As far as I know it's a heat treating process where they use a salt bath solution, at high temperature to do the heat treating. I have heard good things about it, and as I said, I found it to be very hard to cut through, which leads me to believe it might be effective at reducing wear and increasing barrel life. Might even make the barrel easier to clean. I'm trying to figure out  something to build  just for the purpose of  testing a QPQ coated barrel .

• 2 months later...

It's a very good compensator. I have this on my AR308. I took it to the range not too long ago. But with the comp installed, it felt very close to an ar-15. It's not excessive loud either but I would not stand too close to a person with this comp on. It blows a lot of the gasses to the side. But it is a well made comp and would recommend this to anyone especially for the price.