• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sportical LR-308

My state is on stay at home orders. My job is considered "essential services", I am fortunate to have a job.

So no range time. I could pass the time doing yard work. But it is raining a bit off and on.

To pass the time today on my day off I perused the local gun classifieds. Don't "need" another gun. But...

I came across a new in the box older Sportical LR-308. It has the hi rise or target upper (appears to be in pics). I am considering it. I like the idea of a St.Cloud built DPMS. No real rationalization. Maybe because of the "remlin" thing, even though I own one (1895SBL) and have zero issues.

I just finished a Aero Precision M5 build and now can't shoot, so I'm bored. I have a cheap optic I could mount. I like the idea of an adjustable gas block so I installed one on my build. Don't know if I would modify this one. I would just like to add another 308 (I still have room in the safe).

Any pros/cons? Would like to hear from others experiences.

My apologies for my rambling.

Edited by flyingfinn
sp.

"like new in the box" Had a decent phone conversation with the owner. Bought it from a friend who maybe shot 1 magazine through it.

His asking price is $825. Which going off of memory of the ads on GB in late Feb. early Mar. it is a little high. I put several ads from GB on my watch list and I still get email updates from the ones I saw back then that haven't sold at the 750 level. But my memory can be a bit fuzzy. Also I don't recall any on GB that were LNIB of that vintage. 

I tossed a partial trade idea and we agreed to revisit later in the next day or so. It's not a gotta have it. I'd probably be better off picking up more ammo. Almost hoping someone else snags it before I do. Almost.

LR308A.jpg

lr308b.jpg

LR308d.jpg

Gun prices went on the upswing again, so he might be in line with current values. Two months ago, it would have been a little high. Know St. Cloud and Minnesota very well. They had a good work force. Luth is just down the road in Big Lake and I think JP enterprises is in Minnesota as well. You could build a “Finn Minnesota Special” with their accessories.

Edited by Sisco

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Gun prices went on the upswing again, so he might be in line with current values. Two months ago, it would have been a little high. Know St. Cloud and Minnesota very well. They had a good work force. Luth is just down the road in Big Lake and I think JP enterprises is in Minnesota as well. You could build a “Finn Minnesota Special” with their accessories.

Finn Minnesota Special sounds interesting. Details please....

May all be for naught as we are under stay at home orders (except for our jobs). We discussed the logistics/timing of a meeting during a mutual supply run to either hardware store/grocery store to fill gaps in our preps. If the community infected numbers continue to climb and follow exponential growth (I suspect they will) and lock down orders are extended or expanded we're not going anywhere. At this time the math problem is not about money. Just looking for a low stress distraction this week within my chosen hobby (newtome-gunitis syndrome).  Sounds a bit selfish now that I think about it, but I married well...she likes guns too.

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

If you bought this for what's being asked, what would you change on it?...

12 hours ago, flyingfinn said:

If it shoots fine and ejects brass fine, probably nothing.

At least that is what my limited experience on this platform is leading me to think.

Reason I asked that was...  If you'd change the trigger, free-float it with a handguard, change out the furniture (grip, buttstock), maybe have to sink some money into the recoil system - then it's not a good deal.  You could build for cheaper than "rifle-cost-plus-upgrades."  If you'll take it as is, and not change it - that's not a bad deal, right there. It's a terrible deal if you work it over, though.

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Reason I asked that was...  If you'd change the trigger, free-float it with a handguard, change out the furniture (grip, buttstock), maybe have to sink some money into the recoil system - then it's not a good deal.  You could build for cheaper than "rifle-cost-plus-upgrades."  If you'll take it as is, and not change it - that's not a bad deal, right there. It's a terrible deal if you work it over, though.

Excellent food for thought! Thanks. As was recommended by a friend and here as I assembled my build I went with a LaRue trigger. That is likely the only thing that would change. Unless the factory trigger was acceptable.

I ordered a Burris MTAC 1-4X24 with CQ reticle. The NcStar I had is ok for the price I paid; free. But the eye relief was lacking. Severely. 

I read a bunch online and came to the conclusion that a Burris MTAC will suit my intended purposes for its price point.

I opted for the "kit" that included the Fastfire III. Not that I intend on entering a 3 gun competition anytime soon. But for the value I couldn't resist the temptation, as I have other AR's that only have flip-up sights. The FF will probably end up on my wife's AR.