• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rookie builder - Starting on a .308

BeeKay

"This place is like the biker bar strangers see on the side of the road. Salty and scary dudes dwell with in. You open the doors and they all stare. You approach the bar and order your favorite libation and take a seat. You then over hear several conversations you have surprising interest in. You approach to join in and are met with apprehension. If you stay you’ll be accepted as long as you respect the rules and mind your manors. Drink to much and get out of hand and you’ll be helped out the door." 

Well said.  It's unspoken but there is somewhat of a "right of passage" here.  If you are thin skinned or easily insulted, or don't like having your cornflakes pissed in on occasion it may not be the best place to hang out.   It leaves us with a nice group of folks with a similar learning curve and life experiences.  I'm 61 this year and still at it, doing the chit no one else wants to do.  I just had a gal yesterday ask me how I deal with the CSI stuff.  I told her that I love it and have the best job in the World.  Ya, it can be a little gruesome at times, but after nearly 15 years now and probably 1000 cases I haven't had a single complaint.........she gave me an odd look......."because they were all dead!".......

Anyhow, I saw some good advice here early in the thread about barrel length.  In a hunting scenario long barrels on these platforms put a LOT of weight further from center.  My first build (done WAY before I joined here) had a heavier profile 18" barrel and nearly full length hand guard.  I got it all together and initially was liking it a lot until I started wielding it around.  It was then I discovered how heavy these builds are compared to an AR-15 build and putting all that weight WAY out there made it "feel" awkward and heavier than it was.

Since my build was pretty much done for Elk hunting out West only, I decided to do another build with a lighter profile barrel and shorter (14.7").  Only coming in a couple pounds lighter doesn't sound like much on paper, but the shorter barreled rifle "feels" like it's half the weight and believe it or not shoots just as well if not a tad better than the longer barreled rifle out to at least 300 yards.  I don't care much beyond that as most of the Elk I've taken have been less than 75 yards, in the thickest possible chit and trying to put as much distance between us as  possible!........Cliff

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic