• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rookie builder - Starting on a .308

BeeKay

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a .358 Win hunting rifle and I have thought I'd like to try a semi auto in that chambering. 
For a while I even thought about getting a BAR and have it re barreled, but that's ridiculously labor intensive.
I started hearing that 80% lowers may be unavailable soon - Politicians - So I had some time on my hands, since my employers aren't expecting much out of me over the past couple weeks. It just seems like a good time to do a bit of research and act.
The AR makes sense because if they extend our range , I can get a different barrel for that purpose, too.

If you were talking a FAL build, then you would be able to headspace your barrel in the way I understood you to make your statement.  The FAL headspace is adjustable with correctly sized pins in the receiver that make the bolt "move" a bit. The AR isn't even close to being headspaced in any way that these old ways of adjusting headspace works.....barrel timing, adjusting the "bolthead" for headspace, moving the botl to adjust headspace......not a complete or technically complete description, but close for speaking purposes.

Another reason for wanting a .358 Win AR is that guys seem to get better medium/long range accuracy with an AR than I have ever been able to accomplish with my BLR .358 or .308 and addition to that the recoil appears to be much less punishing, between the muzzle device and the gas system. 
So I just thought it would be fun to go out and be able to fire over 20 rds without losing accuracy between flinch and barrel distortion. 

Edited by BeeKay

Yes, good reasons. In WA 80% lowers no serial markings are legal to build but the screwy way the RCW is written some suppliers won't ship 80's here anyway. U S Patriot Armory for one. Probably figure it out next legislative session, it only is going to get worse.  

6 minutes ago, BeeKay said:

Calif - Not as bad as NY or NJ

That means a whole NEW thing here, with what we can recommend to you.  "WE" are not Cali, nor do "we" here know the Cali laws in and out - and they're not uncomplicated.

You need to hit this place for some serious - and timely - advice.  So much has changed in the past Corona-Revolution, that I can't keep up on Cali Gun Laws.  Hopefully, it's being kept up here:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

People wonder why we harp on the "Intro Thread" so much here.  THIS is why. 

Go to the Intro Section:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

Tell us about yourself.  I don't care about your long walks on the beach, and all that - but where ARE YOU FROM?!  What gun experience do you already have? 

You, @BeeKay?...   Could have saved alot of time, right up front, specifically telling us about yourself in the intro section/post about yourself, and directly stating that you're from Cali, in the middle of a nationwide gun-and-ammo panic.  Saved LOTS of time that way.

Bottom line for most of us here - WE don't know WHAT you can do in your state right now. YOU need to keep up on that, and all that's a'changing' daily.

Edited by 98Z5V

I've been on the Calgun boards for a while now.. Years , not weeks.
The thing I need is .308 AR specific info. I've worked it out with the vendors on what they can legally sell and ship to me and visited the intro board as well.
Is it illegal to advise someone from CA on the compatibility of .308 AR components? 
I've been going at this for the past 2 weeks just to find all the proper info to do this correctly.

Edited by BeeKay

Seems to me that your primary concern is on the 80%, and you're a Californian.  What are your questions on the .358 Win?  I gave you my input on that, and i thought it was clear.  Again, that's just my opinion, so let me know what was confusing about what part I stated on the .358 Win.

Otherwise - what are you looking for?  Legal advice on an 80% lower, and you're a Californian?  Is that what you're after?  Be clear, man, and state what it is that you're after - after all this  2-page stuff.

Edited by 98Z5V

No on searching for legal advice - I called vendors and inquired and the company that sells the lower sold me a CA compliant one for 2x$$ what they usually cost.

The info I need is only clarification on compatability of parts because everywhere I go I hear about how if you don't get everything from the same vendor, it might not fit... But then I see another guy who built one and it's made from stuff from all over the place, and it's just great.

So - I appreciate that you straightened me out on the 16" barrel from Wilson.
I'm not sure exactly what guys are talking about with non compatability issues - I'm getting all Gen1 stuff but still I hear that there can be issues with stuff being wrong because of bad fit.
That is what I'm wanting to avoid

8 minutes ago, BeeKay said:

No on searching for legal advice - I called vendors and inquired and the company that sells the lower sold me a CA compliant one for 2x$$ what they usually cost.

The info I need is only clarification on compatability of parts because everywhere I go I hear about how if you don't get everything from the same vendor, it might not fit... But then I see another guy who built one and it's made from stuff from all over the place, and it's just great.

So - I appreciate that you straightened me out on the 16" barrel from Wilson.
I'm not sure exactly what guys are talking about with non compatability issues - I'm getting all Gen1 stuff but still I hear that there can be issues with stuff being wrong because of bad fit.
That is what I'm wanting to avoid

Then buy Aero Precision M5 upper and lower, and be done with it.  They'll work.  They go through your FFL (the lower does).

Do you want a gun that runs - or are you trying to get around Cali law, and do an 80% so you can avoid something in Cali law?...

Edited by 98Z5V

3 minutes ago, BeeKay said:

I got the engraved CA approved lower as is shown on the link, earlier.

You have to register that one, right?  Just like a normal lower receiver?  Or, am I wrong on that...  I'm not up on Cali Gun Laws these days, because they literally change every day...

As far as compatibility you are correct. Some companies products won’t play well with others, others will but cosmetically won’t match. We often suggest if at all possible by an upper an lower from the same company to avoid tolerance stacking issues. With luck, the upper you choose will fit, and all will be well. I suggest if you can, after milling your lower test fit a couple different brands of uppers if at all possible. There is no spec for the 308AR, so every manufacturer does their own thing.The 16” barrel is the right choice, much easier and lighter. Plus the closer to you the weight is the lighter it will feel. 

welcome