• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

375 SOCOM

dpete

8 hours ago, dpete said:

The 375 is pushing about twice the bullet at just about the same speeds as a supersonic Blackout.  Granted, the bullets and brass are much harder to come by than for the Blackout but that is what reloading is for.  There are even short 375 barrels for building pistols.

Don’t tempt me man! You frikkin enabler! :thefinger:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Nice!

i have been eyeing that round for a while. I have a stripped upper and 80% lower just waiting for a project determination. I just can’t decide what I want to do with it... 556 pistol, 300 BO pistol or rifle, 375 SOCOM, 6.8 rifle etc.

With your listed possibilities - I'd build a 300BLK over a 5.56, if I was building a short(er) pistol build.  I'd definitely build a 6.5 Grendel over a 6.8 SPC II gun, anyday. That's just me...  :thumbup:

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

With your listed possibilities - I'd build a 300BLK over a 5.56, if I was building a short(er) pistol build.  I'd definitely build a 6.5 Grendel over a 6.8 SPC II gun, anyday. That's just me...  :thumbup:

Not to hijack the thread too much but I hear ya. If I do a 300blk it will be suppressed as I already have a can but it would only be for subsonic(can limits) kinda anemic and not really much of a home defense round. 6.5 G and 6.8 spcII are so similar both with their quirks it would be more of a hunting rifle than anything else. 375 socom novelty/hunting. Bottom line only thing listed I would not need to buy dies for is 5.56 and I don’t know what I want cause I don’t really need any of them. Also kicked around 224 valk and 22 nosler  but same Issue. I guess I’m like a kid in a candy store - too many choices. I “think” what I want is something that would make a great home defense shorter range long/med gun but not way out there on the fringe of unobtainium for parts, ammo etc. Looking like 300blk maybe but .....

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/21/2020 at 9:44 PM, dpete said:

Got 300 of the Sierra 200 grain FP in the mail yesterday.  Now I can start my own load development and see what this thing can really do.

Still waiting... I know it’s only been a week but I’ve been thinking about building one on pistol config. 10.5 inch barrel with my can on it for subsonic only. Should get me near 357 mag energies only much quieter. I think I can live with that. Actually have some components in my tromix cart but haven’t pushed the go button yet.

19 hours ago, dpete said:

I may have some time to get some test loads put together this week.

You gonna try any subsonic stuff?

I’ll be needing some load data for subsonic rounds. My wife asked what I wanted for Father’s Day. I told her 375 socom stuff she said go ahead. Not sure she knows what 375 socom means but hey she gave the green light.

No subs for me in 375 Socom.  I've already got a sub gun in 300BLK and running subs quietly in the 375 would mean another suppressor which I'm not interested in getting.  If nothing else give Tony a call at Tromix and see what he says.    There is also an entire section dealing with the 375 on the 458 Socom forum that has load data threads in it.

2 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

I would never try to talk anyone into anything. Not me no way not ever I swear.

That's a good methodology - because eventually, and you just witnessed it...   It'll backfire on you...   :lmao::laffs::banana:

@Radioactive  THESE THINGS ARE CARNIVOROUS!

They try to eat their little bretheren.

To make up a decent size batch of brass to run in the wet tumbler I tossed everything I had that was dirty into one run.  The 375, some Grendel, 5.56, and some 300 BLK all together.  The Grendel brass was safe, it was too big to swallow, but the 5.56 and the BLK were in serious danger.  It turns out that a fired 375 case when put into the same cleaning batch as 5.56 and 300 BLK will try to eat the smaller cases.  The result reminds me of a small Northern Pike or Muskie that tried to eat a Perch that was a bit too large. 

0604200832a.thumb.jpg.a6fea004ec9e1b11efd27f2f860a6a57.jpg

This is what a semi-eaten 5.56 case looks like.  A BLK case fits completely inside, its base flush with the 375 case mouth.  I had to poke the BLK cases out with a large straightened paper clip in order to get a pliers to grab and pull the things out.

Do not mix 375 and 5.56 based cases in a cleaning batch!

On a positive note I hope to be shooting test loads of the 375 on Saturday.

Edited by dpete

9 hours ago, dpete said:

Do not mix 375 and 5.56 based cases in a cleaning batch!

Got it! Too funny

i won’t pester you but will be looking forward to results in the meantime I’ll be assembling my components discreetly cause the wife is watching my every move. Be glad when things get back to semi normal and she has other things to tend to than keeping me out of trouble.

Test loads are loaded up.  44.9 gr up to 46.4 gr of AR-Comp in .3 gr increments.  These are gonna be deer thumpers.

For comparison.

0604202132.thumb.jpg.d0a34a70149f798bd19dd998c9b426c3.jpg

Left to right.

5.56               6.5 Grendel                      300 BLK             375 Socom

Edited by dpete