• Visit Sportsmans Guide

375 SOCOM

dpete

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, dpete said:

Anyone have any experience with one and if so how did it go?

The clock might be ticking...    :banana:

You were quite careful in the way you phrased it, but weeeeeeee  knoooooow...  :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

48 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Do I hear someone calling out the rule?

He'll just sell you some more brass and you'll end up paying for it. :lmao:

He's my pimp, never fails to deliver.  If he's on the hook, I'm on the hook...  :hail:

Wow!  Only 5 hours from original post to invocation of the "Rule".  Even if it was a sly one I'll take it as intended.

But HA Ha ha  <--evil laugh....   This was all a trap.  A nefarious scheme to test the rule invokers.  You passed.   :thumbup:

Here it is. 

366814729_IMG_91561.thumb.JPG.9167be03f6b7062f2568f8157f974dcf.JPG

Found it on armslist on Saturday.   The guy lives about 3 hours away so yesterday I did the road trip.

All upper parts straight from Tromix.

18" Stainless barrel and brake

Ace skeletonized stock.

Midwest Industries handgaurd.

Vortex Crossfire 3-9X50 scope.

Nikon scope mount.

Ergo grip.

Tromix 3 die set with Lee crimp die.

15 loaded rounds.

About 30 once fired cases (all that has ever been through the rifle).

About 120 unfired brand new 375 SOCOM cases.

1 Lancer Mag.

I couldn't resist. I already have the powder to use to load up the cases and bought the primers needed yesterday.  The challenge is bullets.  Maker and Vollmer bullets already have hunting capable bullets available but they're pricey for blasting.  Sierra 200gr flat points are the accurate target bullets of choice but right now they are out of stock about everywhere.

Oh well, the search will continue.

16 hours ago, dpete said:

Wow!  Only 5 hours from original post to invocation of the "Rule".  Even if it was a sly one I'll take it as intended.

But HA Ha ha  <--evil laugh....   This was all a trap.  A nefarious scheme to test the rule invokers.  You passed.   :thumbup:

Here it is. 

I've played that game here before, on these guys, and got it through on them, too - you've done quite well, and should be commended.  :hail:  I suspected that you were up to something, and tossed The Rule out there... 

So, are you the fisherman...   or the fish...   :lmao::banana:

7 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Looks worth the drive! I had never really looked at the numbers on this cartridge before, looks like a real bruiser and the lower pressures should help with brass life. 

The 458 Socom forum has a section devoted to the 375.  If I remember correctly one of the posts there had said they had 15-20 reloads on some cases.

• 2 weeks later...

RANGE REPORT

I got out this morning and shot up the loaded rounds that came with the rifle.  I am impressed.

First 4 shots were getting the scope close to zeroed.  Numbered 1-4 on the targets.  The 5 shot group followed immediately afterward.

The 4 shot group immediately after the 5 shot.  That was the end of the 200 grain Sierra FP I had.

The 3 shot group was 270 grain Sierra spitzer SP.  Only had 3 of those.

200 grain Sierra FP

0517200915a.thumb.jpg.24fd6e40e023ef82aff2d5684718a0fc.jpg

270 Grain Sierra spitzer

0517200915.thumb.jpg.c5c186c65ab7ad3f76107fdc115aca38.jpg

0517201137.thumb.jpg.e47d7462b4145698bd74a1178bd68c86.jpg

0517201136a.thumb.jpg.1a905c0723ca84e07515ea84cb664b7c.jpg

0517201136.thumb.jpg.9dcb604993edfe16f202f4218eb33659.jpg

All shots taken at 50 yards.   Velocities on the 200 FP ran in the upper 2100 fps and for the 270 SP in the upper 1900 fps.  I have no idea what powder was used on any of them but I'll be doing my own load work up once I have bullets in hand to load.

Thanks!

Its definitely a thumper.  Not as much as a .458 though and flatter shooting.  The recoil is similar to a 308 AR except from a smaller package.  Maybe a little quicker but not any harder.

Edited by dpete

56 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Nice @dpete . I was eyeing that cartridge while waiting on my big bore. Looks like you got a shooter. You plan to hunt with it? 

Oh hell yes!  At the distances we get shots at deer up here (75 yards and in) this should be boom flop on them.  That is if I'm not sitting with one of my Grendels or my suppressed Blackout pistol.

9 hours ago, dpete said:

Oh hell yes!  At the distances we get shots at deer up here (75 yards and in) this should be boom flop on them.  That is if I'm not sitting with one of my Grendels or my suppressed Blackout pistol.

Nice!

i have been eyeing that round for a while. I have a stripped upper and 80% lower just waiting for a project determination. I just can’t decide what I want to do with it... 556 pistol, 300 BO pistol or rifle, 375 SOCOM, 6.8 rifle etc.

The 375 is pushing about twice the bullet at just about the same speeds as a supersonic Blackout.  Granted, the bullets and brass are much harder to come by than for the Blackout but that is what reloading is for.  There are even short 375 barrels for building pistols.

Edited by dpete