• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mystery rifle

Radioactive

Not really a mystery when I finally opened the box

story - about a year ago my moms second husband died and she gave me a box that had a gun in it. She didn’t know what it was and I didn’t look at it until this weekend. Inside the box was a like new still covered in cosmolene m48 mouser. Complete with bayonet, leather goods, cleaning kit and 70 rounds of 8mm ammo. Obviously it’s a yogoslovian post war bolt action surplus rifle. Kinda cool even if it’s not worth too much. I’ll get it all cleaned up once I figure out how to disassemble it and see how she shoots. I’ll post up some pics too.

Edited by Radioactive

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I pulled my 8mm Mauser the same way - guy had it, never even unpacked it, and needed about $375 in service work to his rig.  I traded him the rifle for the service work bill.  :thumbup:

Has the 1999 receipt and cheesy little pamphlet telling how for over 50 years it was taken from storage, cleaned, tested, and repacked for storage until honorably discharged. Just need to find instructions how to take it apart. I’m sure it’s not too complicated just don’t want to break anything in the process. Kinda cool piece of history even though it never saw actual battle service. One thing about it is everything is tooled no stamped parts. Those Germans new how to build things, then sold all the machining equip to the Yugoslav’s who stockpiled a bunch of weapons built with that equipment.

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I got you covered on that. 

That video comes from a game called "World of Guns: Gun Disassembly". It is available for free on Steam for a number of platforms. Even available on Android phones through some app stores. The Mauser 98k is an early gun; but there is likely some work required to unlock it (I can hardly remember now). This promo code may help if it's still active (press `, then type promo AF1CJ7QG); it would unlock the Mauser 98k among other things... 

Might be useful if you want to be able to look at the disassembly in 3D instead of the views provided in the video. And, there are other guns available of course.