• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Seekins SP15

billymagg

The Predator looks like a pretty dedicated long distance rifle.  And  about .8 pounds heavier then the Seekins.  Guessing with that Bull barrel it is a little nose heavy.  Personally I prefer the standard stock to collapsible stocks so that is a point in it's favor. Going from 1 in 8' to 1 in 7' you would probably only notice the difference if you are shooting a lot of 75-77grn. projectiles at distance. And the Predator Bull Barrel might negate any advantage the Seekins would have in that area. Your right, I would guess the Seekins is handier. The new ARs seem so much lighter and handier then the older ones. I think they have improved the center of balance or something. I got a Diamondback DBFDE-2 a while back and was amazed at the handling improvements versus a similar Olympia arms 16" I had for 8 years.

14 hours ago, Sisco said:

The Predator looks like a pretty dedicated long distance rifle.  And  about .8 pounds heavier then the Seekins.  Guessing with that Bull barrel it is a little nose heavy.  Personally I prefer the standard stock to collapsible stocks so that is a point in it's favor. Going from 1 in 8' to 1 in 7' you would probably only notice the difference if you are shooting a lot of 75-77grn. projectiles at distance. And the Predator Bull Barrel might negate any advantage the Seekins would have in that area. Your right, I would guess the Seekins is handier. The new ARs seem so much lighter and handier then the older ones. I think they have improved the center of balance or something. I got a Diamondback DBFDE-2 a while back and was amazed at the handling improvements versus a similar Olympia arms 16" I had for 8 years.

Exactly, and the Rock River does have a slik barrel and a fixed skeleton stock, which may help me hang onto it longer here in Central Obamastan. The SP-15 is around 900 bucks and there is an upgrade rifle in the 1500+ range, I don't know that the barrel/upper and lower are any different... After buying that Wilson, I'm honestly shooting and enjoying all my rifles more. Shooting 5.56 has helped me focus on my form, with out the added recoil of the .308.  I've been pleasantly surprised with the Wilson, has a beautiful trigger along with all the other amenities, and doesn't weigh much more than my Rock River, with the 18" barrel and the collapsible stock, its very handy around the farm, that extra 3 inchs of  Rock River makes it a lot less handy to throw in the old pick-up...

The addition of a decent front bag, along with some of the other tips I've picked up along the 308AR Forum trail, have been a tremendous help with all my rifles, they all shoot better than I had realized, lol!

So I'm just kicking around the idea of a Seekins, I really like billet, but I would prefer a Wilson billet, without FA, possibly even in 6.8 SPC?? but those are crazy money.

So I enjoy shooting the 5.56, and I would probably carry that around the farm as opposed to the Wilson as it will do anything I need to do around the timber and pasture, I agree the Seekins just points nice, as opposed to the Rock River, almost as nice as a 22-250 Browning Safari with a pencil barrel that I  owned for a very short while.

1 hour ago, billymagg said:

good idea, and good choice, thats my other caliber choice, though I'm not seeing ammo on store shelve here.

I have a sneaking suspicion that until the US Military completes their transition and builds their inventory, that it will be scarce. I need to research how hard it would be to form your own 6 mm brass out of another caliber. For that reason a 6.5 mm Grendel might be more attractive and nearly as effective.

Edited by Sisco

4 hours ago, Sisco said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that until the US Military completes their transition and builds their inventory, that it will be scarce. I need to research how hard it would be to form your own 6 mm brass out of another caliber. For that reason a 6.5 mm Grendel might be more attractive and nearly as effective.

I absolutely agree!

5 hours ago, Sisco said:

I posted in the 6mm general knowledge thread that PSA has some ammo available at the moment, at least they did when I first posted.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/hornady-match-108-gr-eld-6mm-arc-ammunition-20-rounds-81608.html?

4 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I posted in the 6mm general knowledge thread that PSA has some ammo available at the moment, at least they did when I first posted.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/hornady-match-108-gr-eld-6mm-arc-ammunition-20-rounds-81608.html?

Thanks Doc. Nice to see. At my age I have no clue why I am tallking another gun. At $25.99 a box, think I will buy a Jaguar F5 instead.

Edited by Sisco

On 8/24/2020 at 3:06 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

It's all gone!:fullauto:

Probably into somebody's deep basement storage locker never to see the light of day, or the pitch black of midnight ever again!

Edited by billymagg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 11:57 AM, billymagg said:

Exactly, and the Rock River does have a slik barrel and a fixed skeleton stock, which may help me hang onto it longer here in Central Obamastan. The SP-15 is around 900 bucks and there is an upgrade rifle in the 1500+ range, I don't know that the barrel/upper and lower are any different... After buying that Wilson, I'm honestly shooting and enjoying all my rifles more. Shooting 5.56 has helped me focus on my form, with out the added recoil of the .308.  I've been pleasantly surprised with the Wilson, has a beautiful trigger along with all the other amenities, and doesn't weigh much more than my Rock River, with the 18" barrel and the collapsible stock, its very handy around the farm, that extra 3 inchs of  Rock River makes it a lot less handy to throw in the old pick-up...

The addition of a decent front bag, along with some of the other tips I've picked up along the 308AR Forum trail, have been a tremendous help with all my rifles, they all shoot better than I had realized, lol!

So I'm just kicking around the idea of a Seekins, I really like billet, but I would prefer a Wilson billet, without FA, possibly even in 6.8 SPC?? but those are crazy money.

So I enjoy shooting the 5.56, and I would probably carry that around the farm as opposed to the Wilson as it will do anything I need to do around the timber and pasture, I agree the Seekins just points nice, as opposed to the Rock River, almost as nice as a 22-250 Browning Safari with a pencil barrel that I  owned for a very short while.

Well, I got some free time to do the deal and the little Seekin's is GONE! they are ordered, but no idea when they will be back in stock...

On 8/23/2020 at 4:25 PM, Sisco said:

I am going to wait and see how 98Z's 6mm ARC experiments turn out before I get another rifle.Until then I was thinking of a 6.5 Grendel

My initial tests thus far.  I'm 3 or 4 years into Grendel,  and that this is the small-frame AR Dragon Slayer.  Unreal what a Grendel can do. 

My initial tests on the 6 ARC - it's blowing the Grendel away.  Bad. 

Crazy information, and it's gonna take awhile - if you never had a Grendel, then getting right into a 6 ARC is a smart move. If you HAVE Grendels already - then lets talk.  How many you have?  How far are you into reloading for them?  Should you switch - or ADD?...   :popcorn:

All that hype I've seen about the 6 ARC right now- is true.  Out to 850 yards at least, it's beating my Grendel handloads.  It's a badass round for the small-frame AR.  I won't get rid of it, and I'll push it even further, and find out what I can do with it- it's already beating my 18" Grendel at 850, and by a far margine.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 8:50 PM, 98Z5V said:

My initial tests thus far.  I'm 3 or 4 years into Grendel,  and that this is the small-frame AR Dragon Slayer.  Unreal what a Grendel can do. 

My initial tests on the 6 ARC - it's blowing the Grendel away.  Bad. 

Crazy information, and it's gonna take awhile - if you never had a Grendel, then getting right into a 6 ARC is a smart move. If you HAVE Grendels already - then lets talk.  How many you have?  How far are you into reloading for them?  Should you switch - or ADD?...   :popcorn:

All that hype I've seen about the 6 ARC right now- is true.  Out to 850 yards at least, it's beating my Grendel handloads.  It's a badass round for the small-frame AR.  I won't get rid of it, and I'll push it even further, and find out what I can do with it- it's already beating my 18" Grendel at 850, and by a far margine.

Yep, you've finally got my attention, I'm thinking I might go with 6.5 Grendel as opposed to 6.8 SPC on my next small frame build?

The Grendel can do things that the 6.8 SPC can't even come close to, for distance.  It's a great cartridge.  You won't be disappointed with one, not in the least.  :thumbup:

Before all this 6 ARC stuff hit us in the head this summer, I'd swear that the Grendel is the most perfect AR15-based cartridge ever developed.  I'll never ever get rid of any of mine. I need more time on the 6 ARC, and need to do load development for it, before I can personally state that it's a Grendel-Killer.  I think it's gonna go this way:

Grendel is a hunting round that can shoot to great distances.  6 ARC is a great distance round, that you can hunt with, too.   I think that's how the cards will ultimately fall. About the meanest round you're gonna load for the ARC is a Hornady 108 ELD-M or a 110 A-Tip. I usually run Grendels with the 123gr Hornady ELD-M, but you can easily run a Nosler 129gr ABLR projectile, which expands at some pretty (slow) remarkable velocities. 

Edited by 98Z5V