Need help/advice!

Epicersatz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Post that puppy up.  Did it flip around, and the bolt face slammed into the open end of the case?

Kinda I guess.  It started to flip and the open end of the shell casing smashed into the left side of where the barrel and upper meet (oppsite side of the ejector door, although the new round was on that side it prob stopped it from flying out.  The round being loaded was on the feed ramp.  

45 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Also post a pic of your bolt face. Is the ejector face square? I was having that problem till I changed to a rounded head ejector.

I have attached a few pictures of the bolt face.  (All that gunk is grease and carbon, haven't had a chance to take it apart after the range today.)20201113_102836.thumb.jpg.d8e1285d27b8c452010c8bb05b0e75fe.jpg

20201113_230951.jpg

20201113_231013.jpg

20201113_230957.jpg

28 minutes ago, Epicersatz said:

Kinda I guess.  It started to flip and the open end of the shell casing smashed into the left side of where the barrel and upper meet (oppsite side of the ejector door, although the new round was on that side it prob stopped it from flying out.  The round being loaded was on the feed ramp.  

That's over-gassed...   Or under-recoiled, but not in your case here, with the changes you've made already to the recoil system.  I might have missed it, but did you change out that recoil spring (buffer spring).

If you HAVE put the Armalite EA1095 spring in there, then this is the reason that it's a description of "over gassed" - that BCG is FLYING.  That gas PRESSURE (where's my "gas temperature" guy?...) is too much, and it's forcing that BCG to unlock before that now-empty brass case cooled enough to retract.  What happens to the brass is violent, and it expands, and sticks to the chamber walls.  Gas pressure too high, the unlocking process starts too soon, and the case walls are still stuck to the chamber - the EXTRACTOR loses grip of the round/case.  The bolt releases the case, and it's not extracted fully yet, and it's just floating around in your chamber - the EJECTOR never got to really do it's job and fling that case out of the rifle, because the EXTRACTOR lost control of that hot case before it was back far enough to clear the ejection port. 

HOT LOADS can cause this, too, exactly like this - and I didn't see you mention any specific ammo that you were using.  Please list the ammo specifics that you were shooting when this happened. 

Caps were used to emphasize the parts, and their function, not to "yell at anybody..."  :thumbup:

That make sense?  Under-recoiled guns will do the exact same thing - smaller gas ports, and lower gas pressures will do that, when you have a too-light recoil system (buffer) or an under-sprung recoil system (weakass spring that's not up to the task here) - and it can't keep that BCG in place long enough for that brass to cool, and be extracted "when it's time to be extracted."  Your recoil system needs to "have enough ASS to control the MASS" of that heavy BCG, and the PRESSURE that the gas system makes, through this .308 Win round...

Hope the information comes across as I intended it to - if not, ask questions about it. 

Edited by 98Z5V

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's over-gassed...   Or under-recoiled, but not in your case here, with the changes you've made already to the recoil system.  I might have missed it, but did you change out that recoil spring (buffer spring).

If you HAVE put the Armalite EA1095 spring in there, then this is the reason that it's a description of "over gassed" - that BCG is FLYING.  That gas PRESSURE (where's my "gas temperature" guy?...) is too much, and it's forcing that BCG to unlock before that now-empty brass case cooled enough to retract.  What happens to the brass is violent, and it expands, and sticks to the chamber walls.  Gas pressure too high, the unlocking process starts too soon, and the case walls are still stuck to the chamber - the EXTRACTOR loses grip of the round/case.  The bolt releases the case, and it's not extracted fully yet, and it's just floating around in your chamber - the EJECTOR never got to really do it's job and fling that case out of the rifle, because the EXTRACTOR lost control of that hot case before it was back far enough to clear the ejection port. 

HOT LOADS can cause this, too, exactly like this - and I didn't see you mention any specific ammo that you were using.  Please list the ammo specifics that you were shooting when this happened. 

Caps were used to emphasize the parts, and their function, not to "yell at anybody..."  :thumbup:

That make sense?  Under-recoiled guns will do the exact same thing - smaller gas ports, and lower gas pressures will do that, when you have a too-light recoil system (buffer) or an under-sprung recoil system (weakass spring that's not up to the task here) - and it can't keep that BCG in place long enough for that brass to cool, and be extracted "when it's time to be extracted."  Your recoil system needs to "have enough ASS to control the MASS" of that heavy BCG, and the PRESSURE that the gas system makes, through this .308 Win round...

Hope the information comes across as I intended it to - if not, ask questions about it. 

I didn't mention but yes I changed out the buffer spring to the Armalite one.  As far as ammo I was using Fiocchi 308 150 gr FMJ BT.