• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need help/advice!

Epicersatz

47 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Those are dual ejectors NOT extractors.

KAK sells the ejectors that are rounded on top.

Yeah ejectors, no idea why I typed extractors. 

34 minutes ago, DNP said:

Clean it up and take another pic. I’d be really surprised to see something like that and would immediately return that barrel as there is zero reason to have a sleeve. Doesn’t happen. 

20201017_163451.thumb.jpg.7d58ea172f5057984ca09cc682b19289.jpg

I don't know if that is a sleeve inside the gas port or if the drill press they used flared out the top making it look like that. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Can you check the size (maybe I missed it if you did)? I think I would drill that right out

I did post it on the previous page but here ya go!

My caliper couldn't get in the gas port well so I turned to a drill bit and a 5/64 fit all the way in the hole but a 3/32 was just a tad big to get in.  When I put the calipers above the hole I was estimating .089

.089 Might be generous however the flared part mesaures .097.  I am wondering if the barrel was drilled smaller and flared at the top as a guide to drill out more idk but yeah I def think the gas port is undersized.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, Epicersatz said:

def a metal sleeve of some kind in the hole.  not sure if this is normal.  just an observation.

No, there isn't a metal sleeve in your gas port.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, Epicersatz said:

Yeah ejectors, no idea why I typed extractors. 

20201017_163451.thumb.jpg.7d58ea172f5057984ca09cc682b19289.jpg

I don't know if that is a sleeve inside the gas port or if the drill press they used flared out the top making it look like that. 

Again, no - there isn't a sleeve.  Max ID in a gas tube is 0.125".  All - and I do mean ALL - gas BLOCKS have a 0.125" port drilled in them.

What you're seeing is exactly what @DNP told you that you were seeing - you're seeing a carbon-fouling ring around your gas port - from the size of the hole in the gas BLOCK - and the diameter of that carbon ring would measure...   DING! DING! DING!...   0.125" diameter. 

You can listen to what you're being told, or you can argue what you think you see/know, but I'm telling you right now that you are incorrect in thinking that there's some kind of sleeve in there, and you're looking at a 0.125" carbon ring.  FWIW. 

Good news, though - at least your gas block was centered over the gas port in your barrel, like it was supposed to be.  0.090"~0.095" gas port for an 18" rifle gas .308 Win barrel with a 0.750" gas block journal.  You can take that or leave it, as far as information goes, but this isn't my first rodeo with these things.  Obviously, you're pretty sure that you have a 0.089" gas port, but you're measuring with fractional bits.  You need to be measuring with numbered drill bits.  They're more accurate. 

At any rate - if 0.089" is so close to 0.090", and that's not doing it for you - then you need to be on the larger end of what I recommended to you.  Not the smaller end. 

Again - you DO NOT HAVE A SLEEVE IN THAT GAS PORT.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

No, there isn't a metal sleeve in your gas port.

Again, no - there isn't a sleeve.  Max ID in a gas tube is 0.125".  All - and I do mean ALL - gas BLOCKS have a 0.125" port drilled in them.

What you're seeing is exactly what @DNP told you that you were seeing - you're seeing a carbon-fouling ring around your gas port - from the size of the hole in the gas BLOCK - and the diameter of that carbon ring would measure...   DING! DING! DING!...   0.125" diameter. 

You can listen to what you're being told, or you can argue what you think you see/know, but I'm telling you right now that you are incorrect in thinking that there's some kind of sleeve in there, and you're looking at a 0.125" carbon ring.  FWIW. 

Good news, though - at least your gas block was centered over the gas port in your barrel, like it was supposed to be.  0.090"~0.095" gas port for an 18" rifle gas .308 Win barrel with a 0.750" gas block journal.  You can take that or leave it, as far as information goes, but this isn't my first rodeo with these things.  Obviously, you're pretty sure that you have a 0.089" gas port, but you're measuring with fractional bits.  You need to be measuring with numbered drill bits.  They're more accurate. 

At any rate - if 0.089" is so close to 0.090", and that's not doing it for you - then you need to be on the larger end of what I recommended to you.  Not the smaller end. 

Again - you DO NOT HAVE A SLEEVE IN THAT GAS PORT.

okay okay I get it.  I was just stating what it looked like to the inexperienced eye.  I am open to advice/knowledge of all kinds.

As far as the measurement I did with what I had.  I have actually ordered a set of gauge pins that will be here in a few days so I can get a much more accurate measurement.  If the gas port is in fact undersized and it needs to be drilled out, I do not have the know how nor the confidence to that.  What kind of things would be red flags that I should look for when searching for a gunsmith to do it?

Edited by Epicersatz

6 minutes ago, Epicersatz said:

If the gas port is in fact undersized and it needs to be drilled out, I do not have the know how nor the confidence to that.  What kind of things would be red flags that I should look for when searching for a gunsmith to do it?

You don't need a gunsmith to do it.  You can do it at home, with a hand drill, and it's easy.  You were guided that direction last Friday, right here in this post from @DNP:

On 10/16/2020 at 10:49 AM, DNP said:

Drilling the gas port is easy if it comes to that. There is a thread from the last couple days in the general section where they were walking someone through it.

So, after being given that advice - did you search out that (then) recent thread, and see what advice was given?

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You don't need a gunsmith to do it.  You can do it at home, with a hand drill, and it's easy.  You were guided that direction last Friday, right here in this post from @DNP:

So, after being given that advice - did you search out that (then) recent thread, and see what advice was given?

I think I read the right one, "Addressing PA-10 Issues"?

I understand the dowel in the bore to ensure you don't poke through.  Would it be a better option to go with a reamer then with a drill bit if I have that option?

5 minutes ago, Epicersatz said:

I think I read the right one, "Addressing PA-10 Issues"?

I understand the dowel in the bore to ensure you don't poke through.  Would it be a better option to go with a reamer then with a drill bit if I have that option?

You found the right one/right topic.  Drill bits are quite sufficient, no need for a reamer.  Irwin numbered drill bits that you can find in any Ace Hardware store, across this great country, have fixed more undersized gas ports than you can imagine.

Don't overthink it.  It's not hard to do.  All you're doing is changing (up-sizing) the diameter of a hole, that is already there.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You found the right one/right topic.  Drill bits are quite sufficient, no need for a reamer.  Irwin numbered drill bits that you can find in any Ace Hardware store, across this great country, have fixed more undersized gas ports than you can imagine.

Don't overthink it.  It's not hard to do.

I will report back when I get a more accurate measurement of the gas port but I am leaning to that being the issue...

11 minutes ago, Epicersatz said:

I was taking the word of the manufacturer that it was drilled to spec, lesson learned. 

We were taking the word of you, and what you experienced as an issue, and basing it from what we've see in the past, and we stated it, pretty directly.  And, we based it from what we've seen, in the past, from your barrel manufacturer. Yes, we have experience in that.  Research here, on your part, would have dug up all that information, especially on the barrel maker.

Hope that is all starting to sink in now.  We've been doing this for a very long time, specifically on this platform. 

I'll be curious as to what your gas port diameter really is.   :popcorn:

On 10/17/2020 at 10:02 AM, Epicersatz said:

Here is a pic of the buffer tube.  20201017_105321.thumb.jpg.59f2bfedf4d66fbcdd8447c196b441ff.jpg

On 10/17/2020 at 12:45 AM, 98Z5V said:

Rifle recoil system, so your buffer OAL is close enough to 5.200" long, so that's okay.  9 1/16" for an internal depth inside the receiver extension is WAY too short - Rifle Receiver Extensions are 9 11/16" internal depth.  Double check that number/depth.

Get rid of the spring, and run an Armalite EA1095 spring in there.  Quality spring that you don't have to guess about, and it's proven.

You do have a rifle buffer system in there.  The spring probably still needs changing though.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

12 hours ago, DNP said:

My guess is he crossed up threads,

WooHoo!!!!   MAN, DID I SCREW THAT ONE UP WITH THIS THREAD RIGHT HERE!!!

@Epicersatz, my fault, man!!!   :bitchslap::bat:

Just make sure that receiver extension is 9 11/16" internal depth - it looks short in that pic you posted, by about 1/4", but that could be camera angle... 

I think I'm straight now, with the multiple receiver extension/buffer threads...   🤪

Thank you Sir.  That'll work for me I'm not a gunsmith although I spend money here like I am.  How much have you spent hangin out here so far?  I don't require an exact number just fixing you up for the drought that is soon to follow.  Drought as in,  where's my money at?

Edited by RedRiverII