• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Teledyne barrel sleeves

Have any of you seen this?  The claim is that they reduce the heat in the barrel dramatically, improve barrel rigidity, accuracy and barrel life. The sleeves are supposed to be more effective at wicking heat from the barrel than the carbon fiber wrap, while increasing the rigidity to a similar degree. Since the sleeve is fitted to an existing barrel, you can have the sleeve added to an existing gun. The one thing I have not seen discussed is the question of just how much weight does this sleeve and the heat sinking material, add to the barrel?

www.teludynetech.com/shotgunnews.cfm

I think if your starting from scratch with a build, you might look at it as a question between two similarly priced barrel "treatments", but if you already have an existing gun that has what you consider to be a good barrel and you'd like to try to improve it, then the sleeve is a $450 addition (with muzzle brake) while a carbon wrapped barrel becomes a $1000 barrel change. I think that there are other considerations here. Is the CF barrel a more effective accuracy improvement, I certainly don't know. From their own website they say that the sleeve with filler material, adds between 1 and 2lbs, while we already know that the CF wrapped barrel is lighter than an equivalent dia solid steel barrel. The other questions are which one dissipates heat better and which one is more rigid. I can't help but wonder how much improvement you could expect on a gun that's already a 1MOA or better shooter? I guess if it really works as well as claimed, we're going to start seeing it used on benchrest and high accuracy built rifles. To me this is just another interesting new innovation that has yet to be scientifically proven, but I'll be watching to see what happens.