• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Cycling issues -- 20" Ballistic Advantage 308 barrel, rifle length gas (high frame rate video included)

renaissanceman

23 hours ago, renaissanceman said:

Seems to be fine, I'm working on load development now.  It'll cycle min loads with 147gr FMJ bullets, so I think it's got the right size port.  Not too gassy, either.  Once I've got my pet load, I may tune the gas block down a bit if there's a bit more gas than I like.  

Awesome man, mine finally has enough gas to run XM80 ball reliably as well, these guys are the best, keep us informed, and don't leave jus cause your rifle's running, we're very happy to have you as a Brother here on 308AR.Forum!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's my whole goal here, man - ALL of us here...   If you learn how the rifle works, then you know how to fix it when it does "x" or "y".  Or, if a part breaks, you can figure out why it broke, and fix that part or situation that lead to the breakage, so it doesn't happen again.  Or, if you know the different systems, and how they interact, you can change one, and know what you need to change for the other(s).  Writing legibly, and concisely - ever train an Army Private?...  :lmao:  Some of those guys can be just like a rock with lips, and you have to get them to understand.  I spent more than 20 years training some pretty crazy shiit - and it payed off for me.  I can't take the credit for that - that has to go to the US Army, and all those that "trained me to train" in my past.  I had some very badass mentors.

Thanks 98, you are the real deal Bro, in the service of your country, thankful you have a heart to teach us grunts here on 308 AR Forum, and you've made me a big FAN of Mr. Stoner! he would be proud of you carrying on his work! 

On 2/11/2021 at 2:34 PM, billymagg said:

Awesome man, mine finally has enough gas to run XM80 ball reliably as well, these guys are the best, keep us informed, and don't leave jus cause your rifle's running, we're very happy to have you as a Brother here on 308AR.Forum!

Thanks! I'll be a lurking member...once the rifle runs, it's hard to have much to talk about, but I'll be reading in the shadows. 

10 hours ago, renaissanceman said:

Haha, ok, I'll stick around. I'll be doing load development next. 168gr Hornady BTHP.

Wallet in hand, but not much in stock to spend on these days...

What's the goal for this gun, man?  What distance do you want to take it to?  Asking, in reference to what you'll be reloading.  :thumbup:

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

What's the goal for this gun, man?  What distance do you want to take it to?  Asking, in reference to what you'll be reloading.  :thumbup:

I have a buddy with a membership to a private range that goes to 500m+ so just trying to be able to pound the knockdown targets on the 500m line with boring regularity.  

42 minutes ago, renaissanceman said:

I have a buddy with a membership to a private range that goes to 500m+ so just trying to be able to pound the knockdown targets on the 500m line with boring regularity.  

Those 168s will do that well.  :thumbup:   168s really start running out of steam when you're going for something 800 yards +. Great out to 600-ish.  Beyond that, it's time to start looking at 175s or more.  That's the whole reason I asked - didn't want you getting committed to a projectile (and the load development) that might let you down, depending on your expectations for the gun.  

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Those 168s will do that well.  :thumbup:   168s really start running out of steam when you're going for something 800 yards +. Great out to 600-ish.  Beyond that, it's time to start looking at 175s or more.  That's the whole reason I asked - didn't want you getting committed to a projectile (and the load development) that might let you down, depending on your expectations for the gun.  

Good advice 98!

12 hours ago, renaissanceman said:

Sounds good renaissance,,, springco orange arrived this morning, time for a KOLD short range session, that damn thing may be frozen cause it's hella stiff!

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I was hitting them pretty consistently with 75gr BTHP over CFE223 in a 223 last time around, but they wouldn't fall.  198gr 8mm bullets did the trick, but hitting them was rather tricky with Mauser open sights since the target was narrower than the front post.  

I have no doubt that the 168 launched from a 308 will get the job done.