• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR-308 Front Assembly advice

BlakeMTsch17

Hey everyone, I’ll start with a little warning; I’m not only new to this site, but I’ve just started my very first gun build. I’m not new to the hobby, just new to the building portion. 
I plan on building an LR-308. I have everything planned out except that I need some help on the barrel, gas system, and hand guard length. I’ve decided to go with the Precision Reflex hand guard, as well as their gas block/front sight. The confusion I am having is on how long my hand guard and gas system be? I would like to go with an 18” barrel. So would that be “Rifle Length”? And if so, would the hand guard need to be 15” or 14” in length? PR carries both. 
Thank you everyone! Hopefully it’s not confusing. 

P.S: Any recommendations on barrel model/brand, maybe even twist rate, would be much appreciated. I plan on using this rifle for target/long range. 

If you’re using a gas block front sight, your likely to be using a rifle length gas system. You’ll have to make sure your handguard is shorter than where that gas block will sit. You’ll probably want their “rifle” length handguard which is 12.75”. If you call them up and tell them what you want to do, they’ll likely make sure you get exactly what you need for those. I have a similar setup on my rifle, but it’s been 10 years since I bought the damn thing and I have no recollection of what the length was. This is a 16” barrel with rifle length gas and the PRI guard. 

498E38DF-8B8B-4081-828B-57881B64463A.jpeg

9CA7985D-26B2-4934-80C2-E45BE30E38C1.jpeg

3 hours ago, BlakeMTsch17 said:

This is what I plan on building, but in a 308 format. I

3FDF5293-7832-48F9-902B-A3D7250EE81E.jpeg

That's a Mk12 Mod 0 Special Purpose Rifle (started at the "Special Purpose Receiver").   That's a 5.56 gun, all the way, and that's not easy to do on a .308AR. 

Searching out the history of the Mk12 will get you going a long way, detail out parts, etc.  In a nutshell, it's an 18" rifle-gas barrel with the PRI flip-up front sight, PRI Rifle Length handguard (the one pictured is a 3rd Gen), PRI full length SPR-PEQ top rail, and PRI rear sight.  

Also, search out the Mk11 rifle.  That's what the military used for .308ARs.  Here's a Mk11:

http://www.dogfightink.com/MK11Mod0tan.jpg

http://www.dogfightink.com/MK11Mod0USMC.jpg

I made my own version of what I thought the Mk11 should have been, and used an 18/5" match barrel:

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2019_11/P1080370.JPG.d37bce3fef3f7c99413e5fe2af15596a.JPG

P1080374.JPG.b3fcb1e36e714b7a30213d627c876002.JPG

That’s super helpful, thank you! I have everything sorted out other than the gas system. But you just answered my most frustrating questions. Thank you for correcting my terminology too. I plan on having a mix of the two then; PRI hand guard, gas block/front sight, PRI top rail, 18” barrel, and I’m assuming when you say “Rifle Length” you mean a 12”(ish) hand guard?

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a Mk12 Mod 0 Special Purpose Rifle (started at the "Special Purpose Receiver").   That's a 5.56 gun, all the way, and that's not easy to do on a .308AR. 

Searching out the history of the Mk12 will get you going a long way, detail out parts, etc.  In a nutshell, it's an 18" rifle-gas barrel with the PRI flip-up front sight, PRI Rifle Length handguard (the one pictured is a 3rd Gen), PRI full length SPR-PEQ top rail, and PRI rear sight.  

Also, search out the Mk11 rifle.  That's what the military used for .308ARs.  Here's a Mk11:

http://www.dogfightink.com/MK11Mod0tan.jpg

http://www.dogfightink.com/MK11Mod0USMC.jpg

I made my own version of what I thought the Mk11 should have been, and used an 18/5" match barrel:

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2019_11/P1080370.JPG.d37bce3fef3f7c99413e5fe2af15596a.JPG

P1080374.JPG.b3fcb1e36e714b7a30213d627c876002.JPG

Nice post 98, and I like your rifles Bub, did you get that 358 running yet? The newlywed's have returned to base, I think they were glad to get home, (we had an amazing time), and I know Arlie was back in his element and smiling like a Cheshire cat, walking about like a man! LOL

19 hours ago, billymagg said:

Nice post 98, and I like your rifles Bub, did you get that 358 running yet? The newlywed's have returned to base, I think they were glad to get home, (we had an amazing time), and I know Arlie was back in his element and smiling like a Cheshire cat, walking about like a man! LOL

Right now, the .358 Win is a complete upper, nothing more.  No brass (no worries, I'll make my own), no projos...  No Lower...  :lmao:   If I get the ammo in order, I'll just pin it to something else Large Frame, and get busy.  Got a AP M5 lower sitting at the gun shop, but just can't get there during holiday hours.  Fucker is slacking, and cutting hours short during the holidays...   :thefinger::laffs:

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Right now, the .358 Win is a complete upper, nothing more.  No brass (no worries, I'll make my own), no projos...  No Lower...  :lmao:   If I get the ammo in order, I'll just pin it to something else Large Frame, and get busy.  Got a AP M5 lower sitting at the gun shop, but just can't get there during holiday hours.  Fucker is slacking, and cutting hours short during the holidays...   :thefinger::laffs:

yeah, I been slacking myself, although I did have a nice "New Year's Eve Range Session with the "Dirty Little Thirty", 308 AR, Springer .45, and S&W M&P .40, all at 110 yds, first time I had the handguns at 110 since early spring, I was hitting 12" to the right with both handguns, elevation was decent...

Kinda a let down not to be getting all those "presents" in the mail that I did during my build, lol Happy New Year Bub,,, I was looking at a Honda CBX,, that may be just what I really need! Ice storm here overnight though, LOL!