• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

anyone use CFE 223 powder

Steve crawford

Local gun shop had some 8 lb. jugs of CFE 223 powder.  I have used it for a Remington rifle  in 308 cal.  It will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards when I do my part,  I was looking for powder I could load 5.56 and 308.  I made a deal( swapped my Honda lawn mower and gas string trimmer and some cash for a 8 lb. jug.  Wife just bought me a electric mower and trimmer of our forty-fifth anniversary.  I guess I will find out if it will work in both AR's.  Does anybody else use this powder?  😀😀😀

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve crawford said:

Local gun shop had some 8 lb. jugs of CFE 223 powder.  I have used it for a Remington rifle  in 308 cal.  It will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards when I do my part,  I was looking for powder I could load 5.56 and 308.  I made a deal( swapped my Honda lawn mower and gas string trimmer and some cash for a 8 lb. jug.  Wife just bought me a electric mower and trimmer of our forty-fifth anniversary.  I guess I will find out if it will work in both AR's.  Does anybody else use this powder?  😀😀😀

Steve

Sounds like a very expensive 8# of powder.

15 year old lawn mower and 10 year old trimmer.  Both still worked good.  The place is a Pawn Shop/ Gun Shop.  Only place in town to buy powder.  Have to drive 150 miles any direction to get to the next town of any size.  I don't travel as much now. It is getting to be a job to walk 100 yards to put up targets now days.  With Haz-Mat and shipping I can just pay the local guy his price.  I mail-order brass, bulk bullets and tools.  My wife gets tired of hearing me say "I remember when".  🥵🥵🥵

Steve

I use it in my .224 Valkyrie loads.  That's the only place I use it.  It's working.  :thumbup:

If you find a powder that's good for heavy 5.56 loads, then that same powder will be good for heavy .308 Win loads.  I don't know if CFE 223 is any good for the heavies, because I've only used it in my Valk load development.  My my personal note in it.  It's working for the Valk loads, though.

Edited by 98Z5V

I used it in both my 5.56 and 308 ARs until I found out about its temp. sensitivity.  I had a great load for the 308 figured out that I did test loads at about 35-40* in the spring.  The first time I shot them in 80*+ weather they were blowing primers out of the cases.  After that I did some research online and found out about the temp. sensitivity that others were seeing also.  I ended up pulling a couple hundred 308 bullets and have been using up the 5.56 as range blasters.  Depending on what conditions you shoot in I would consider making up a hot and cold weather load with it.

dpete  Thanks.  I have not shot it in cold weather.  Here in Texas we can have some extreme temp changes.  At 73 years old I don't go out in bitter cold weather anymore.  I try to stay out of 100 plus temps also.  What I have shot in my bolt gun has been in the 80 to 95 temp range and have not seen any signs of high pressure yet.  I try to stay in the middle range when loading and so far it shoots very good in the Remington bolt gun.  I will try just a few with the LR-308 before I go very far.  Did you have pressure trouble with the 5.56 rounds in a AR rifle?  That is what I bought that powder for to start with.  I know that the LR-308 will work different than the bolt gun.  Do you remember what charge and bullet you had trouble with in the 308  and the charge and bullet in the 5.56?

Steve

Edited by Steve crawford

On 4/13/2021 at 1:23 PM, Steve crawford said:

15 year old lawn mower and 10 year old trimmer.  Both still worked good.  The place is a Pawn Shop/ Gun Shop.  Only place in town to buy powder.  Have to drive 150 miles any direction to get to the next town of any size.  I don't travel as much now. It is getting to be a job to walk 100 yards to put up targets now days.  With Haz-Mat and shipping I can just pay the local guy his price.  I mail-order brass, bulk bullets and tools.  My wife gets tired of hearing me say "I remember when".  🥵🥵🥵

Steve

Well Steve, my bad, I only noticed what I thought was one 8# jug, by the way a 15 year old Honda mower that runs good is probably better than the new ones are today. I am also a ways from a city, It is 40 miles in any direction from my house to a Walmart or McDonalds or Whataburger, also here in Texas, where are you ? out in West Texas? the only powder I have bought for a while is a pound of  was 777 FF.

16 hours ago, dpete said:

I used it in both my 5.56 and 308 ARs until I found out about its temp. sensitivity.  I had a great load for the 308 figured out that I did test loads at about 35-40* in the spring.  The first time I shot them in 80*+ weather they were blowing primers out of the cases.  After that I did some research online and found out about the temp. sensitivity that others were seeing also.  I ended up pulling a couple hundred 308 bullets and have been using up the 5.56 as range blasters.  Depending on what conditions you shoot in I would consider making up a hot and cold weather load with it.

I'm in this boat, out here in AZ, brother - big time.  I went out last summer in July here, to test some shiit - JUST got a 6 ARC 18" precision gun done, and I wanted to compare that to all that hype that's out there.  I took an identically built (harware-wise) original 18" 6.5 Grendel - and all the hype had it compared to the .308 WIn Hornady 178gr ELD-X projectile - that I have a wonderful 18.5" gun, and custom load for... 

So, I shot the 18" Grendel at 850 first - couldn't even get on target, and it was about 105 degrees out - EARLY on a July Sunday morning, too!  Alright, not wasting ammo for the Grendel, get the Mk11 out with the 178 ELD-Xs loaded for it.  THAT GUN was 8.5 mils at 850 yards.  No splash, no indication that I was even NEAR target.  And I KNOW that this load is ON THE MONEY$$$.  FML. 

I played with the Mk11 until is was on - and it was 7.0 mils ON TARGET at the 850...  So 1.5 mils different?!!?  YOU SERIOUS?!!? 

Yes, VERY serious.  I developed that load at way lower temps, tested it, and got it on.  Then, I shot that load at a WAY DIFFERENT temp - 105*.  1.5 mil difference at 850, for the same load?!@   Yes - and it led me down the path of WHY...

Density Altitude.  After that range session, that day in July, I went WAY DEEP on the WHY of it all, and it was ALL Density Altitude, for long range shooting.

I posted about that somewhere here, in great detail - can't find the thread right now, but I will.

Edited by 98Z5V

When I found that out - I found out a NEW way for doing drop/dope charts, too.  I started with this one, for the 6 ARC, and it's MONEY.

I develop all my charts like this now - this is the 6 ARC 18" gun chart, with Hornady 108 ELD-M factory loaded Match ammo, measured velocity is mine, through a MagnetoSpeed:

283260038_6ARCTrajectoryCardTempandDensityAltitude.thumb.png.1f8a0e21b40f49f61fdec96c4b67488c.png

10 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

Come to think of it .  I am in the middle of nowhere.  about 100 to 150 miles any direction to a city of any size.   😁😁😁

Steve

These days, with the chaos and anarchy in big cities - that is a GOOD thing!...   :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

Come to think of it .  I am in the middle of nowhere.  about 100 to 150 miles any direction to a city of any size.   😁😁😁

Steve

Abeline is close to the middle of nowhere.  My dad grew up about 70 miles north of there.  That is closer to the middle of nowhere.  We still have family land there.

Near Big Bend or the Texas panhandle (anything north of Amarillo) is truly nowhere.