• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

new. need help

Eclipse1018

ok so im the new guy here.  i have a few questions.  Im about to get a 308 in an ar platform but i just see toooo many choices.  its hard to choose.  im only intrested in the 308 if i wanted a 223 or 556 id go with the hk.  but im not into those 223s.  i want a 308. something that can take some punisment while im bumbing around the pickup going out to the rance country hunting.  ill be in heavy brush, mud, drizzle and in cold weather.  i want something dependable,  iv seen all the videos with hk submerging ther rifles in water mud and sand.  i wont be doing that but i do like the peace of mind knowing what i choose will be dependable,  i understand daniel defense is up to par as well ,but in not trying to spend 2 arms and a leg on hk or daniel defense.  i like the colts sp209 i  but i dont see it coming out soon.  so i wanna ask u guys which 308 ar out there do u think will be ok to take some weather and dirt and still hit my mark.  im on a budget but i know we all are,  so im here asking for ur expertise?  anyone help

We've all seen the videos, and what they don't tell you is most most ar's both do and piston are up to the same level, just make sure your barrel has no water in it. We can help but let's talk. First a price range, we won't judge, but without that it's too broad a selection. Btw,  Colt is not cheap. Next comes range of use, how far do you want. Also keep in mind that it'll likely be over ten or eleven pounds. More depending on optics

Stick with name brands that hunters recognize.

Remington makes a fine 308AR that is designed for the hunter, not the armchair soldiers and paper assassins. I've never seen a Remington that let me down. The fact that they have been around for 100+ years and still pump out modern age weapons is awesome as well n

Stick with name brands that hunters recognize.

Remington makes a fine 308AR that is designed for the hunter, not the armchair soldiers and paper assassins. I've never seen a Remington that let me down. The fact that they have been around for 100+ years and still pump out modern age weapons is awesome as well n

I assume you are talking about the R25. Isn't that made by DPMS?

iv checked out the r25 i like it.  not too crazy bout the camo.  i wanna stay around 2000$  and ill be hunting in texas no more than 400yards max im sure.  i like the rem but if its a dpms i hear too much about feding problems.  theres one for sale here 1500$  but i dont wanna risk it.  what else do u recomend besides the r25?

i haven't heard any feeding problems with dpms. at least not recently. the biggest problem dpms has is their switching rail heights, pissing off people confused on what fits. that problem is small as many an aftermarket company have accessories to fit both sizes. for your price range i would suggest dpms, armalite, and fulton armory. all very good rifles with very good reputations. i recommend fulton, for your money very good stuff. i bet with a bi-pod and 3-9 power scope you could meet your 2k price tag and never stop smiling. my advice. by the way i own a larue obr and pws mk 214 for your own reference, neither of which i would sway you away from but fall outside your criteria.