• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Griffin Armament AR-SOB

This sound familiar?...   :popcorn:

The Griffin Armament AR-Suppressor Optimized Buffers...

https://www.griffinarmament.com/ar-sob-a2-suppressor-optimized-buffer/

https://www.griffinarmament.com/ar-sob-suppressor-optimized-buffer-gen-2/

3d7eab7e-35fc-3ee2-cc53-d9bae3e54114.jpg

The buffer is one of the more overlooked components in most rifles.

In the current market, cost constraints and a desire for rifles to run with cheap, underpowered, steel jacketed ammunition are driving forces for many firearms companies who are involved in what appears to be a constant race for the bottom.

Most rifles are aggressively over-gassed and supplied with cheap, light CAR buffers which are employed to reduce system cost, robbing rifles of necessary weight for reliable chambering with fouled chambers. This also encourages premature unlocking of the bolt, causing undue extraction stress, contributing to operational failures and mechanical failures of critical system components.

Suppressors further increase system operating speed and exacerbate the over-gassed condition. Our AR Suppressor Optimized Buffers (SOB) will work to resolve these issues by allowing a carbine to run more smoothly and reliably. 

41de242f-02d5-13dc-b375-3dfab45ecd2d.jpg

The AR-SOB (Suppressor Optimized Buffer) has a spring loaded (Gen 2 addition), staggered impact design that offers increased system dwell time, reduced bolt speed, and enhanced chambering reliability of your AR style rifle. The AR-SOB can be used in conjunction with or without a suppressor. 
$54.59 MSRP

The AR-SOB-A2 weighs 5.6 ounces, and can be used in suppressed 5.56mm rifles as a replacement for the M4 carbine series buffers, when used in conjunction with the AR10 mil-spec CAR receiver extension, Griffin AR-10 Maritime Receiver Extension, or "Vltor A5" buffer tube, AND AR-10 CAR action spring.
$59.95 MSRP

a3fea74c-0a55-e7d4-1701-b17670bcfc02.jpg

AR .556 & 308 Buffer Springs
Our buffer springs, manufactured from 17-7 stainless steel wire, offer excellent resistance to corrosion, superior fatigue properties, and exceptional rigidity and durability.  These springs are standard weight springs- identical to the highest quality mil-spec 17-7 derivatives. 
$8.95 MSRP 

65d2e1fe-96da-7d9d-e61c-34c4be0e1576.jpg

AR .556 & 308 Buffer Springs Extra Power (+15%)
Extra Power Buffer Springs offer a +15% enhanced overall recoil performance than our standard buffer springs. We recommend the extra power buffer springs for firearms that are regularly run to oil scarce or dry conditions at high round counts.  They are also recommended for firearms that are regularly running suppressors.
$13.95 MSRP
e384cfd0-cbc6-25a7-b242-9d2d2fe1e8ef.jpg

Okay, let's see if @98Z5Vhas taught me anything. Not his fault if he didn't, God knows he's done his best.

So, on an AR-15 (which does have specifications), the standard buffer weight is wrong (Really? Since when). The rifles are overgassed, at least on the .308s (Oh, so that's why so many people have to drill out the gas ports. It's to let all that extra gas out!) and they can cure this for only around $45 extra over normal cost. What's not to like? Or did I miss the point entirely? (wouldn't be the first time). So, if it happens that I'm right, shouldn't they rename that thing an AR-Son-of-a-...?

Check me on this, @98Z5V. Am I just confused?

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Okay, let's see if @98Z5Vhas taught me anything. Not his fault if he didn't, God knows he's done his best.

So, on an AR-15 (which does have specifications), the standard buffer weight is wrong (Really? Since when). The rifles are overgassed, at least on the .308s (Oh, so that's why so many people have to drill out the gas ports. It's to let all that extra gas out!) and they can cure this for only around $45 extra over normal cost. What's not to like? Or did I miss the point entirely? (wouldn't be the first time). So, if it happens that I'm right, shouldn't they rename that thing an AR-Son-of-a-...?

Check me on this, @98Z5V. Am I just confused?

1st comment in red - Since the M4A1.  14.5" carbine gassed full auto .mil SOF gun.  Came with a 3.0oz standard Carbine buffer.  For a "reliability improvement program" we sent all our guns into the Unit Armorers, and they upgraded our buffers to H1 (3.8oz buffers) and gave us a brand new recoil spring.  So...  that's just to control a full auto 14.5" carbine gassed 5.56 gun - a 3.8oz buffer...  That's now the "optimal choice" for a .308AR firing a .308 Winchester round?...   No, it's not.  It's not even close to being "optimal" in any way, shape, or form.  Not for a .308AR, or a .308 Win round. A 5.4oz buffer IS optimal, though, but that will cost a cheap manufacturer some money.  $$$....  Because - tungsten = $$$... SS over Aluminum, for the body = $$$, too... 

2nd comment in red - yes, deeply confused.  Please, at your leisure, read this thread that I've been working on since 2018, and that I've been testing since 2010...  My information comes from experience on this platform, and not from anything else that's stated-as-fact on the internet.  It's from building these large frame ARs, in various calibers, and making them run, one way or another...

Here's the details:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

The rifles are overgassed, at least on the .308s (Oh, so that's why so many people have to drill out the gas ports. It's to let all that extra gas out!)

Most cheap .308AR kits that you get out there are not overgassed, at all - they're UNDER-RECOILED from the factory, primarily to save money on buffer weight in a short-ass 2.500" buffer, because the cheap companies run AR15 carbine receiver extensions, and making those 2.500" buffers into something that weighs 5.4oz takes...  YES!  You guessed it...   $$$.

Too many people on the internet gun boards confuse "OverGASSED" with a condition that's actually "WAY UNDER-RECOILED..."

Not enough ASS in that recoil system to control the MASS of the .308 Win round, and heavier weight of a .308AR BCG - in motion. 

AR15 buffers - and AR15 buffer weights - and never gonna be able to do it.  Not unless you're building a Race Gun, with a specific custom handload, directly for your Race Gun Competition... 

Those parts do not make a reliable gun,for any ammunition that you can find, and shoot. 

Cheap guns are just that...  cut every corner, to get the lowest-priced .308AR into the hands of "every guy" that shoots cheap ammo, most of the time - and it works "most of the time, for most of the people, and the cheapest ammo..."

Budget Manufacturers target Budget People.  That doesn't mean the gun runs will ALL ammo ALL the time...

Pick your side of the fence.  Want a RELIABLE GUN?...  Build the way I've found out, for the last decade.  That's not gonna be the CHEAPEST gun, though.  I've proven it, time and time again.   :thumbup: