• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Oracle...Gen1 or Gen2 platform?

Gunrunner

On 7/13/2021 at 7:55 AM, Magwa said:

I bought one the week before joining this forum that was what 10 or 11 years ago paid 800.00 for it .took it stock and ran some surplus ammo through it to break it in then went to 168 Barnes TTsx and seirra match kings this rifle shoots one hole groups at 100 and I have killed enough game to fill 5 trucks,7 elk a bunch of deer and it is as smooth as a baby's bottom to this day round count is probably around 1500, I would have paid double what I paid if I had known how good this rifle was and is.... changed a lot of stuff over the years it is lighter now but same BCG barrel and upper...my longest Elk kill with it is 376 yards, but I would not hesitate to shoot out to 500....

Magwa, I think we got the good ones,  accuracy improved after I added a Drop in trigger , (could have just been me), the one that was sponsored here on the site.several years ago.  I never have shot any of the 168  rounds specially marked for the M1A, The ones I bought in Bulk I think they are LC FMJs shoot so good I haven't shot any others, My Bushnell BDC scope is right on after being zeroed at 100 yards. I have only shot to 300 Yds. I considered it basically a short to medium range carbine truck and UTV piece. I kind of replaced my old (pre 1950) Winchester 94 in 3030 truck gun,. with the Lr308 Oracle..

15 hours ago, Gunrunner said:

I was from Harford and Cecil County up on the P.A. Border. You in central MD?

Yep. Deep in the hood of PG County. AKA....$hothouse. About 10 miles outside the swamp of DC.

I only stay here now because of proximity to my elderly parents who live in Ocean city MD (under a 3 hour ride to get there from my place), and need my help periodically. Currently dealing with some of that at the time as it so happens.

My plan is to punch out of here eventually and escape to either Wyoming (I've eyeballed that for years now) or possibly the skull Valley thing that Tom mentioned earlier. Not a big fan of the heat after dealing with the sweltering, ball-sticking summers around the DC region. And AZ is waaaayyy hotter, just not as sticky.

7 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Yep. Deep in the hood of PG County. AKA....$hothouse. About 10 miles outside the swamp of DC.

I only stay here now because of proximity to my elderly parents who live in Ocean city MD (under a 3 hour ride to get there from my place), and need my help periodically. Currently dealing with some of that at the time as it so happens.

My plan is to punch out of here eventually and escape to either Wyoming (I've eyeballed that for years now) or possibly the skull Valley thing that Tom mentioned earlier. Not a big fan of the heat after dealing with the sweltering, ball-sticking summers around the DC region. And AZ is waaaayyy hotter, just not as sticky.

My focus is on Wyoming or Idaho as well. I'm tired of the desert and Yuma is getting crowded...and Border issues. We live across the street from my aging in-laws and that is the denominating factor in why I haven't headed North yet. I understand. My parents are still in MD, but luckily I have a very capable sister who helps on that end.

• 1 month later...

Gents,

Quick question. The build is coming along nicely and I've sourced all parts with the exception of the BCG and the Armalite complete recoil system. However I ran into something unusual and wanted some advice before proceeding. The dimpled recesses on the DPMS barrel are closer together then provisions for the two Allen screws holes on the Aero LP gas block I bought. Is this an issue or cause for concern in your opinion? I've seen AR barrels come with no dimples and the Allen screw are torqued flat against the barrel. With the gas block in place and aligned I've got good air flow through the gas block port. Plan on using blue threadlock on the screws. Thanks.

20210814_161851.jpg

Usually the rearward dimple is exactly 180* from the gas port.  Check that.  If it is, then align the rear set screw on the gas block, with that dimple.  Then, you just put the front set screw in, and it falls where it falls...  

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would share the finished product. Original DPMS upper, lower, barrel, and BCG...for now. (Waiting on a Faxon or Aero BCG to get back in stock.) LaRue MBT-2S flat bow trigger, Aero LP gas block, Aero complete recoil system...(couldn't find the Armalite available). Guntec 15" forend and a Lantac Dragon ASR brake. Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 I cannibalized off of another rifle. Eventually this rifle will get the 1x8. Took it out and ran it this morning for the first time. Put 60 rounds through it and it functioned beautifully. Big fan of this brake. Muzzle rise is so negligible I could do rapid pairs, and failure drills like it was an M4. Did a brass check and it wouldn't go back into battery due to not having forward assist serrations on the carrier. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks a lot for the recommendations and guidance during this build!

20210906_083059.jpg

20210906_083239.jpg