• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Oracle...Gen1 or Gen2 platform?

Gunrunner

I have searched everywhere and cannot find if the Oracle is considered a Gen1 or Gen2 DPMS platform. I have one that has been a safe queen for years and am ready to do a conversion on it using only the original upper , lower, and barrel. But I understand that the gen 2 has a shorter BCG then the gen 1's. So again which generation is the oracle considered. I understand the difference between high and low profile and can easily identify that, but finding the correct BCG has become difficult without knowing the detailed specs of the rifle.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There is no Gen 1 or 2. It’s a standard DPMS pattern based rifle. The GII was their entry into the smaller sized large frame. They tried to get things closer to AR15 dimensions. Mostly proprietary parts with little after market support. 

Feel free to start a build thread and we will assist you into poverty! 

Thanks Edgecrusher! That was the answer I was looking for. I assumed it was in the LR .308 platform but didn't want to go into poverty ordering the wrong parts. So far I've only ordered the LaRue Polymer Combo package (furniture) in UDE color. Waiting on an Aero Nickel BCG to become available...any preference on carriers? I was dumbfounded to see that the DPMS didn't even have the forward assist grooves.

Fulton Armory, Aero Precision, Brownells… a member recently grabbed a Sharps bros. 

Can I suggest the Armalite complete recoil system? It’ll save you many headaches and is a good deal for quality parts that will run! 

Also, LaRue’s MBT trigger is a great trigger for the cost, unless you had others in mind

I was considering the Geissele SSA but I'll look into the LaRue. Ive been a long time customer of their products. Do you happen to have a link for the Armalite complete recoil system? I did a quick search and found a plethora of different items. Secondly is it compatible with the DPMS platform? (I'm sure it is or you wouldn't have recommended it) I am just not an expert on the nuances of Armalite v DPMS.

There are better options from G if you’re looking for a target trigger. National Match stuff started it all and might be better suited. SSA and SSA-E are great triggers, but not really designed for the bench from what I recall. I have an E on a 5.56 I built for my dad and it’s a great shooter for a 14.5” pencil barrel.  I have a Designated Marksman on a 24” bull barreled 5.56 and like it, but I don’t shoot that gun much.  I put the MBT on a .22 for my oldest son and would consider running more of those. Really are great triggers for the price. All depends on how you plan to use the rifle. 

the at armalite kit is mentioned in several threads here. @98Z5V can spit out the SKU for it.  You could read through a couple threads where people seem to be having trouble and it gets mentioned almost every time. And 99% of the time…that alone fixes their issue. It’s just proven parts that work. There are plenty of other good options out there, but this one is undeniably going to function. Put it on first and never worry about that part again unless you’re tuning a race gun to a particular ammo. 

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT01&ReturnURL=/Armalite/Product-Category/AR10-Parts-Accessories/Lower-Receiver-Parts&Category=ac614400-ff09-4cdf-9d35-419a654e7201

This one right here for a carbine set up. They also have a set up for a fixed stock if that's what you want.

Most of the difference between DPMS and Armalite pattern guns is the receivers.

39 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Yup, recoil system can work on both. Also, you can mix and match it has to be matched up. Use armalite barrel with an Armalite bolt. Can be used in dpms receivers, as long as the two match. Vice verses as well. 

keep in mind receivers are cut differently so they cannot be mixed. Also Armalite and DPMS have different thread pitches for the barrel but, so that needs to be matched properly. 

4 hours ago, Gunrunner said:

I have searched everywhere and cannot find if the Oracle is considered a Gen1 or Gen2 DPMS platform. I have one that has been a safe queen for years and am ready to do a conversion on it using only the original upper , lower, and barrel. But I understand that the gen 2 has a shorter BCG then the gen 1's. So again which generation is the oracle considered. I understand the difference between high and low profile and can easily identify that, but finding the correct BCG has become difficult without knowing the detailed specs of the rifle.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a DPMS Oracle LR308, It was manf. in 2014 and is before there was a designated Gen I or a Gen II and it was a cheap entry level  LR308, bought it new from DPMS for around $700 out the door, sold without any sights ,no front swivel and a standard FCG . With a D ring set of plastic handguards, and flashguard with 16.5" barrel Which is what I wanted.  I added a rubber buttstock recoil pad from Amazon, a cheap Bushnell 308BDC scope on some low mounts and rings. It shoots 147 Gn Federal ammo ok but isn't close to my M1A NM 308. I wouldn't give over $800 for a new one out of the box.

Edited by mrmackc

I'm glad I joined this forum. Thanks to all of you for your insightful and well written responses and recommendations. This kind of information is what I was seeking. I have built many AR-15's, M-4 clone, 14.5 BCM race gun, 18" Yankee Hill DMR...etc. Even own a Sig 716 and a purpose built Remington 700 that I finally hit 18" x 20" steel at 1,100 yds last year with 175g Prime ammo. So pretty diverse collection of purposely built weapons. I had forgotten about the LaRue trigger even though I put one in a buddy's build last year and really liked it. But again this is my first M5, AR-10 build and I wanted to get it right. I wanted to build it reasonably lightweight with the purpose of filling in the gap between the terminal performance of the 5.56 on hard targets and the precision shooting of the bolt guns, while CQB capable and still having decent accuracy out to about 600 yds with 147g surplus ammo. Going to order the Armalite buffer kit and the LaRue trigger. The stock will be collapsible. I'll be coming back to talk optics after I get done. Thanks again. Also wanted to add I got this from Sportsmans Guide about three years ago. Looked it up today and I paid $617 for it. Couldn't let that pass

55 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Yup, recoil system can work on both. Also, you can mix and match it has to be matched up. Use armalite barrel with an Armalite bolt. Can be used in dpms receivers, as long as the two match. Vice verses as well. 

keep in mind receivers are cut differently so they cannot be mixed. Also Armalite and DPMS have different thread pitches for the barrel but, so that needs to be matched properly. 

Thank you! Great info.

47 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Welcome aboard from Maryland.

Originally from Maryland myself, but transplanted to Arizona about eight years ago.

48 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Welcome aboard from Maryland.

17 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

welcome from Iowa!

Thank you!

13 hours ago, mrmackc said:

I have a DPMS Oracle LR308, It was manf. in 2014 and is before there was a designated Gen I or a Gen II and it was a cheap entry level  LR308, bought it new from DPMS for around $700 out the door, sold without any sights ,no front swivel and a standard FCG . With a D ring set of plastic handguards, and flashguard with 16.5" barrel Which is what I wanted.  I added a rubber buttstock recoil pad from Amazon, a cheap Bushnell 308BDC scope on some low mounts and rings. It shoots 147 Gn Federal ammo ok but isn't close to my M1A NM 308. I wouldn't give over $800 for a new one out of the box.

I bought one the week before joining this forum that was what 10 or 11 years ago paid 800.00 for it .took it stock and ran some surplus ammo through it to break it in then went to 168 Barnes TTsx and seirra match kings this rifle shoots one hole groups at 100 and I have killed enough game to fill 5 trucks,7 elk a bunch of deer and it is as smooth as a baby's bottom to this day round count is probably around 1500, I would have paid double what I paid if I had known how good this rifle was and is.... changed a lot of stuff over the years it is lighter now but same BCG barrel and upper...my longest Elk kill with it is 376 yards, but I would not hesitate to shoot out to 500....

No dunes. I did many medevacs out there in my time with Yuma SAR. Too many drunks and Californians...just not my thing. I've got  YZ250F that I do a lot of trail riding with out in the Barry Goldwater range and down to the border, and all over the Gila mountains. I prefer to go where it's less traveled. 

6 minutes ago, Gunrunner said:

No dunes. I did many medevacs out there in my time with Yuma SAR. Too many drunks and Californians...just not my thing. I've got  YZ250F that I do a lot of trail riding with out in the Barry Goldwater range and down to the border, and all over the Gila mountains. I prefer to go where it's less traveled. 

Holiday weekends are fun in the dunes - as you know from rescues - but off-weekends are when you really get to ride, and not worry about shiitheads out there...    Too much money, and not enough experience, fuks people up.

In my book, it doesn't matter what you ride, it just matters THAT you ride. Well done, man, with the 250F.  :thumbup: 

Edited by 98Z5V