• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Arc flash

I'm not prepared to build a rail gun. Still have no idea what the ATF thinks of electric guns. Saw some with HUGE power cables attached from the 1960s and even earlier. Some even full auto. Found the parts I used in testing coil gun nearly a decade ago now; while I was still in school. Decided to re-invest in the initial outcome in a huge way. 

Just not even impressed by the results on the GR-1 given the technology available. Also... I'm aware that building anything might result in this (video from ArcFlash labs from 8 years ago). Starting a fire is a likely outcome in any initial HV coil gun build.

Here is a link to the actual product page with a few more details about the commercial product.

https://arcflashlabs.com/product/gr-1-anvil/

As I mentioned earlier; I've decided to try and exceed that performance here in my basement. Looks like the important parts for initial testing will be here around Monday. I'll start a build log elsewhere. The initial design just happens to be a .308-ish build. I can buy arrow tips that are 100 grains for reasonably cheap (and have a bunch on hand already). My initial goal will be maximizing speed. 

Have not seen many designs that really "care" about the nuances of accelerating a projectile progressively along a distance. The coils near the tip of the barrel need to be spaced further apart, and suffer from other losses as well (if they are all the same as the early firing coils). My hypothesis here is; that using a totally different coil, at very high voltages (and spaced further apart) will allow for significant gains in the muzzle velocity. Still trying to figure out how to rifle the barrel in a useful way. Friction is the enemy in a launcher that has no gas pressure behind the projectile. Thinking about a carbon fiber set of "fins" on the tail of the projectile in this case. Seems like they might benefit from being boat tailed as well, which is another advantage of the arrow point steel projectile (and there are still more benefits to consider). 

This will be my last post before the build log begins.