• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Arc flash

This is pretty interesting; though the price to performance ratio is pretty harsh. Field and Stream says it's about as powerful as a .22 short.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/handheld-gauss-rifle-by-arcflash-labs-for-sale/

I actually built one of these (albeit not as large) back when I was studying physics at university. You can see pretty clearly what makes it work; a whole bunch of large high voltage capacitors. Really not that dissimilar to a camera flash circuit. I couldn't tell from this design if it was a single stage gun, or multi-stage. You can get significant gains by passing the projectile through multiple acceleration coils that trigger at a precise time. That time can either be estimated (and hard coded), or triggered by optical/magnetic sensors that watch the projectile motion as it travels down the barrel. I ended up setting my project aside once it broke a window while testing (it hadn't shown that kind of potential with previous tuning). 

Also; 20 pounds for Arcflash Labs model? Shooing a 12mm projectile; I wonder if this is a standard ball bearing (Field and Stream indicates it may well be a smooth bore)? Absolutely not interested in paying that kind of money, but it might be interesting to know a few more details. Is this really a quality product, or something that anybody could achieve in their basement with a bit of effort? My opinion; the Arcflash Labs GR-1 ANVIL sure does look funny; and I wouldn't trust that pistol grip to be exceptionally sturdy. 

Edited by Lane
GR-1

28 minutes ago, Lane said:

A device that uses one ore more electromagnets, and a battery, to shoot steel projectiles. Space gun? Solar powered varmint pop gun? I'm not paying $3,375 to find out. 

Shooting a 12mm projectile - that's damn near a .50 Cal (12.7mm).  That's a pretty low price for a piece of tech like that, for what it shoots.  That's the modern musket, right there.