• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Starting the elimination of choices: DPMS or RRA?

RamboSmurf

I just unloaded(no pun intended, ok maybe a lil pun) my M&P MOE and am in the market for a .308. I am wanting something with an 18" or maybe a 20" barrel w/ a price around $1700. I've been looking at two in particular: DPMS Mark 12 and the RRA Standard Operator. So, in comparing dependability, accuracy, ease of interchangeable parts, etc. which would be a better choice? These aren't my final choices but any help would be greatly appreciated.

bye bye rra! first and most important reason for this is your need for interchangeable parts. the rra may be a great gun but is completely proprietary. it uses fal mags, not pmags/sr-25 pattern, or the armalite style. check it out thoroughly though because you may find rra has all you need. just be prepared because they have very long lead times. on this i would suggest the dpms.

I have a RRA Operator and it serves my needs well.  It will take metric or inch pattern FAL magazines, which are plentiful anywhere you will possibly travel in the Western Hemisphere.  It is accurate with all the ammo I've tried, and the surplus I have several magazines stuffed with right now.

I like the DPMS stuff, it works and shoots well.  I'm not purchasing anything owned by Freedom Group/Cerberus right now, until they get certain quality control issues resolved with brands I used to buy.

I must say that I am considering selling the RRA Operator, then getting the Sig 716 piston gun, which also will take the pmags.

Jon

I just unloaded(no pun intended, ok maybe a lil pun) my M&P MOE and am in the market for a .308. I am wanting something with an 18" or maybe a 20" barrel w/ a price around $1700. I've been looking at two in particular: DPMS Mark 12 and the RRA Standard Operator. So, in comparing dependability, accuracy, ease of interchangeable parts, etc. which would be a better choice? These aren't my final choices but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya!  dont get either one...build yourself a Mega Ma10

with your choice of stock,barrel,rail,trigger....then ya got something!    <munch>  Wash

What really blew me away as a lefty full ambi- mag release button [i but ambi-mag release on coyote was more flat]full button was better for me and ambi-bolt release, fal mag are robust but really like p-mags for my AR over metal.The HBAR with smith vortex,handguard has good purchase with all the rail in all the right places[for me]Pete the AR wizard at leagal-transfers had the best prices,with operator stock and winter guard.Long lead time yes I don't like to wait for much but I'm glad I did,my other .308 was a bolt savage,don't have much to compare just know what I like.Was free ship less than$1400.00 with $35.00 transfer at Cabelas.Shoot on bro.

I have a DPMS Mk 12 and have been happy with it. Thought it was a little heavy at first but wife has a RRA Elite Operator 223 and the Mk 12 is very close in weight. It shoots anything I put in it and the only malfunctions are caused when I use a brass catcher and the brass doesn't completely clear the ejection port due to the bag. It likes the 150 Hornady reloads I use and once I dialed in my SWFA it shot this 5 shot group  (Bottom 5 were zeroing scope) at 100 yds. I recently added an Atlas bipod and a BCM CH. The trigger is scary light unlike the RRA heavier two stage trigger pull on wife's gun. I use the DPMS and Magpul P mags in it with no problems.

post-689-136297270206_thumb.jpg

I tried the brass catcher on my 5.56 RRA and the same thing case failed to completely clear ejection port was tired off pulling cases out of snow and hot case frozen in ice but FTE was not good, policing brass is a character builder so will continue doing so.Have hear of deflectors that keep ejected brass closer[my brass winds up 4ft. right 2-3 ft. back]good for lefty no brass down back.Has any one tried any of the deflectors ? What do you think? Shoot on bro.

...policing brass is a character builder so will continue doing so.

Good to know that the girl's attitude will blossom into character!  She's lucky the Operator dumps them in a nice little square about ten feet away.  Her .223 AK puts empties into low orbit, nice big dent in the middle of the case.

Something a few folks have done here in the desert...take just the deep net portion of a swimming pool skimmer, mount it to a clamp.  You can put that on the edge of a bench, a table, or a little stand for prone or sitting.  Works great for punching paper!

Fortunately I still have a minor that needs to build character.

Jon