• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recommend a good die set for 7.62 x 51

Black_Sheep

I’ve been saving my brass so I can start reloading this winter. Please recommend a good die set for low production, high quality ammo.

I am an experienced reloader, having done tens of thousands of .38, .45 and 5.56 but the wide variety of specialty 7.62 dies is a little overwhelming.

Working on .38 Special today…

B9357F55-C8B7-4D16-9178-3014A80BB0E6.jpeg

I like my Hornady Custom Grade Die set.  It so far has resized my once fired L.C. brass with one pass and chambers in my DPMS LR-308.  Did not notice it saying small base on the box.  I use a Lee Factory Crimp die as a final step.  Will see how it works on brass fired through my LR-308 as soon as I get the new trigger installed and go to the range.  👍👍👍

Steve

• 2 months later...

For bottle neck rifle cartridges, I’ve only loaded 5.56 NATO, 270 Winchester, and 308 Winchester. Forster’s “bench rest seater” die is simply a better mousetrap IMHO. There’s a spring loaded, sliding sleeve inside the die that mimics a chamber. This is supposed to improve alignment/reduce runout. In my somewhat limited experience it works. 

I started with Hornady die sets.  They work, no doubt.  I just prefer the Forster and believe that consistent bullet seating is vitally important for accuracy.  My hand loading mentor loved to say “If it’s not accurate, it’s not interesting.”

Note: Redding’s competition seating die is virtually identical in the way it works. It’s my understanding that Redding waited until Forster’s patents ran out…

• 1 year later...

ETA: a year ago I considered crimping unnecessary for 308 Winchester. However, my recent research indicates that more and more people are recommending crimping for gas operated, semiauto rifles. Including a tech at Hornady I spoke with yesterday. Roll crimp for bullets with cannelures. Taper crimp or no crimp for bullets without a cannelure. 

I crimp everything that might go into a gas gun, no matter what.  Nope, I crimp everything, no matter what.  Bullet setback is real, and I've seen it happen on uncrimped rounds, in an AR15.  Pressures go through the roof when that thing gets shoved back into the case.  In my observance, the gun didn't run, wouldn't feed. We were lucky it didn't feed, and jammed.  

@JBMatt and I have seen it at one of the matches we shoot - 6 GT gas gun.  Projectiles coming out of the case, powder all over the inside of the lower.  Gun didn't run, shooter couldn't finish the match.  Country-wide top shooter, too.  Uncrimped ammo.  

I use the Lee Factory Crimp dies for everything I reload.  Even bolt guns, like the Win Mag.  Puts the same tension on the projectile, and I get the same performance everytime.  I have Lee dies, Hornady dies, and RCBS dies.  Every one of those die cases has a Lee Factory Crimp die in there.  

Edited by 98Z5V