• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Measuring scope height?

@mrmackc Wanted to thank you for that link. Informative video that led me to their YouTube page, where they have a bunch more informative videos.   As a boy, my dad taught me what he knew about shooting - primarily learned in the army. But I guess they didn’t teach the infantry and paratroopers much about scopes in his day. After watching a video on proper scope position relative to proper head/cheek position, I checked all my scoped center fire rifles. The one that was way off, was the Remington 700bdl that I got from my dad, when he grew to old to hunt. Maybe it fit him. I will say, it’s been 100% in taking deer shot at. But now I have to figure out if there is a way to back up the scope on it. It’s already backed up as far as the mount will allow. May be more trouble than it’s worth to remount. 

@MtnMike Objective is 42mm but OD measures out closer to 43 (if you are really cutting it close, remember to measure the OD since the manufacturer number may be the size of the lens and not the actual housing) that gun is using PRI rings. I have another gun with an almost identical setup (middle gun in below picture) but the OD of that 42mm scope is slightly larger so I'm using an ADM bolt action low mount(forget the exact model, but they have all the measurements on their site)  The bottom pic here is my grendel with a 56mm obj and I needed it as low as possible to be a comfortable height with the raised top rail. I spent forever researching bore height of every mount manufacturer I could find but everything was either too low and likely to contact, or too tall. I ended up buying a taller ADM bolt gun mount, but it was about 1mm too low. I swapped to 34mm rings and then using 34 to 30 mm reducers and it raised the scope 2mm and worked out perfect. 

PXL_20210814_154206480~2.jpg

Edited by blue109

On 7/27/2022 at 4:26 AM, MtnMike said:

What I really want you to do, because I'm a selfish egotistical bastard, is to disassemble your gun and weigh the 158 mount

Not unmounting an optic just for a weight measurement, but I'll bet that if you call LaRue, they can tell you the exact weight, for the size you need - I noticed that they're doing the 158 in 34mm and 35mm now, so there's 4 possible sizes with different weights.

I have a LT-745 mount here that's not on a gun yet.  I can weigh that, it won't be much different.  Or, next time I get a 158 in, I'll weigh it and update this thread.

I'll probably do that when I get closer to purchasing. Gonna take the cookie jar money a month or to to recover from the rifle purchase any way.  I pay off my credit cards every month and haven't paid interest on a CC since 2014 or so.  The one thing I don't like about the Leupold integrated mount (which is 0 MOA & 1.4" ring height) is that it is 6 oz.  Not horrible.  But I'd pay a bit more for something of comparable quality that was an or 2 less.

I did come real close to pulling the trigger on a Leupold Vx6 2-12x42. (Midway is selling fully equipped and warranted refurbished blems of this scope right now for $500 off), but I wanted to check out the field of view at low power first.  Went to my local Sportsman's Warehouse to literally take a peep, but none in stock.  I'll take that as sign to be patient.  No need to rush on this rig. I've already got one I'm quite happy with for the coming hunting season.

@98Z5V  I appreciate the info on the 158.  I did send LaRue Customer Service an inquiry re: the weight on the LT 158.  They did respond as follows: "6.9 ounces for the QD lever version and 6.7 ounces for the VFZ."  So another company with good customer service that should be commended. And, I did buy one of their MBT2s to install in the new rifle.  I'm kind of leaning towards the 158 with the QD at the moment.  Given the scopes I'm looking at are in the $1500-2000 range for this rig.  I might as well be able to switch it onto to other rifles or uppers.  Now if I can just get my clients to pay me for the work I did two months ago, I can pay for the old fart toys! 

2 hours ago, MtnMike said:

@98Z5V  I appreciate the info on the 158.  I did send LaRue Customer Service an inquiry re: the weight on the LT 158.  They did respond as follows: "6.9 ounces for the QD lever version and 6.7 ounces for the VFZ."  So another company with good customer service that should be commended. And, I did buy one of their MBT2s to install in the new rifle.  I'm kind of leaning towards the 158 with the QD at the moment.  Given the scopes I'm looking at are in the $1500-2000 range for this rig.  I might as well be able to switch it onto to other rifles or uppers.  Now if I can just get my clients to pay me for the work I did two months ago, I can pay for the old fart toys! 

I surprised, ARF was pretty damn close! 

The QD levers on the LaRue mounts are nice.  Rear one is locking, front one isn't (you'll see in-hand).  The VFZ mounts used to be cheaper, by $50, but not anymore.  They're all the same price, and they all went up.  Cost of doing business in today's world, was what they told me when I called about it.  Old prices were $210 QD and $160 VFZ.  I have a pile of the VFZ mounts, but only 2 of the QD mounts.  I'll need another 158 coming up pretty soon, so I might as well order it up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up going w/ the blem (<$1200) Leupold Vx6HD 2-12x42 w/ the basic (<$80) Leupold Mark mount for now. With the basic rifle starting at just over 8# 11 oz, this is going to be one heavy heifer compared to my “hunting” AR 10 (last pic) which comes in well under 9#. 

5134BCC8-04B8-4235-B0B7-A590B01A0926.jpeg

831F4D7E-7B77-4E19-B08C-9B92F29D527A.jpeg

4F2FC0BD-5205-44CB-8A10-6F2E4E1679B3.jpeg

4E3E22DB-7A2B-4FAB-9384-B07A112B8D27.jpeg

Edited by MtnMike
Clarity