• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Gen2 Recon buffer tube

AzRon

After reading something I should of the first time I found out that the DPMS Gen 2 Recon (carbine) buffer tube is not like the others!  

I bought this buffer and spring https://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html and found out it won't work with the factory tube so the info I found out is I need VLTOR buffer tube to use the buffer and spring setup, the question is which one? This one https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/receiver-extensions/re-1-ar-15/ or this one? https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/receiver-extensions/re-10a5sr-a5-receiver-extension/

My guess would be the first one but I'm not sure any help would be great!

1.  Get some pics up of the stock buffer that came with that thing, with a tape measure picture, to show it's length.

2.  Get a pic up of the internal depth of the stock receiver extension that on that thing.  Need to know the internal depth of the stocker.

I can solve this problem, easily. 

2.500" buffer setup running inside a 7.000" internal depth extension.  Run that with a Sprinco Orange spring, and you're set.  :thumbup:

That will be a solid combination, right there, with that KAW 5.6oz buffer.  Whatever issues show up after that, won't be recoil system problems. 

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

2.500" buffer setup running inside a 7.000" internal depth extension.  Run that with a Sprinco Orange spring, and you're set.  :thumbup:

That will be a solid combination, right there, with that KAW 5.6oz buffer.  Whatever issues show up after that, won't be recoil system problems. 

👍

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, 98Z5V said:

Well F%#$  with the Sprinco Orange spring it won't lock back on an empty mag, it trays to but the bolt catch can't get a good enough purchase to lock it open.

What is the next step?  And yes it was for the DPMS pattern could it be for the Gen 1 or the Gen2 rifle?

1 hour ago, AzRon said:

What is the next step? 

Take pics of the parts you have, with a tape measure in the pics.  Post 'em up, man.  Dimensions.  Need to know what's going on here, because this should be working very well. 

2 hours ago, AzRon said:

So what buffer tube do I need to buy that will work with the Sprinco spring?

We don't know yet, brother, because you've never given us the internal depth of the one that's on your gun right now... 

Post up the internal depth of what's on your gun right now, first...

@AzRon, that looks like a legit 6 13/16" in that one pic, right to the edge of the extension itself.  That extension is bad.

The REAL SPEC is the Armalite AR-15 spec, which is 6 15/16" internal.  The aftermarket went 7.000" internal, and there has never been a problem running 7" of depth, 16" longer than the real spec...   This one is short, and that's causing your problems, directly.