• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Did I diagnose this or not

Gmtech

Hi all

Wanted to update on the failure to hold open on empty mag issue I was having from my thread on the intro forum..."hello from NW PA"

After luckily finding a single ammo that made the gun run properly every time (ejects around 3, feeds next round, and holds open on empty) i tried a bunch of things to make it work with any other ammo.  Different mags,  removed some buffer weights, hot handloads, slow motion video appeared to be short stroke.  

Hear me out on this next part...I closed my seekins gas block full off and installed the carbine buffer spring from my ar15.  Slowly opened gas block till bolt would move.   At half open the bolt will lock back on empty with any ammo I try now.  

I should try some different rifle length buffer springs now.  I currently have an aero m5 rifle length (A2) tube, buffer, and spring. Technical details r all in the intro post.  I can answer those questions here if needed

22 hours ago, Gmtech said:

Hi all

Wanted to update on the failure to hold open on empty mag issue I was having from my thread on the intro forum..."hello from NW PA"

After luckily finding a single ammo that made the gun run properly every time (ejects around 3, feeds next round, and holds open on empty) i tried a bunch of things to make it work with any other ammo.  Different mags,  removed some buffer weights, hot handloads, slow motion video appeared to be short stroke.  

Hear me out on this next part...I closed my seekins gas block full off and installed the carbine buffer spring from my ar15.  Slowly opened gas block till bolt would move.   At half open the bolt will lock back on empty with any ammo I try now.  

I should try some different rifle length buffer springs now.  I currently have an aero m5 rifle length (A2) tube, buffer, and spring. Technical details r all in the intro post.  I can answer those questions here if needed

That buffer will (should) be 5.200" long and weight in at 5.4oz.  If's hard for them to mess that up, because there's only one way to build it, as far as a stock rifle buffer goes. Run the Armalite EA1095 recoil spring for a good combination, if that buffer checks out.  The real Armalite part, too, not a knock-off.  If you cannot find one, anywhere, the Sprinco Red spring will also work.

21 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Your recoil system is likely the culprit. Please measure , weigh, and if possible provide pictures. Internal depth of tube as well although that is not usually messed up on rifle extension.

BTW, almost never should you have to remove buffer weights

^^^   Yep, exactly.  If weights need to be removed, that means the gas port is way too small.  Dead giveaway, right there.