• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

reloading for the garand

sagebrush

just started reloading 1200- 1500 30-06 brass that i got from dpete (nice brass). have a pair of garands that i shoot at steal targets behind the house every once in awhile. have had bullets waiting (168 gr.). finally picked up eight pounds of 748 at bi-mart last week, two pounds at a time over several days. wife picked up some for me also. hard to get to town that often

• 1 month later...

Good luck! 

I don't shoot my Garand often enough but I love the rifle. I'm cheap is why. The bigger the cartridge the more it costs, simple economics.

It's an M1D, the real deal from the DCM (or is it the CMP now?). It was arsenal reconditioned on the '60s, so it was essentially new when I got it. In fact I removed it from the arsenal wrap (bag). It came with all the GI items, but they're in storage. I had a mount made that uses the side plate on the barrel, but the 1-6x scout scope mounts forward of the chamber over the barrel and right above and in line with the barrel. That to allow for loading clips (obviously).

I did try the Alaskan scope and leather cheek rest and it was interesting for the historical significance, but I like my present arrangement more. 

The range I'm a member of has long distance shooting, 600 yards, I might shoot it some more. 

Edited by BrianK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 9:03 AM, unforgiven said:

Elenore 1955 H&R bayonet is 1942 Fork&Hoe

IMG_20220330_110136475.jpg

@unforgivenafter reading that you knew where and when your bayonet was made, it made me curious about mine. i looked it up and mine is not dated but utica cutlery made their run from 42-45 and a late run in 53. my m1's are both springfields.

I didn't know a can was possible for the Garand.

I have to wonder how much noise would come out the gas port and if it would be worth doing?

Here's a discussion about it. https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/m1-garand-and-suppressor-silencer-anyone-combine-the-two.1588708/

Yet another discussion. Cursor way down in the link below to find links to videos. 

11 hours ago, unforgiven said:

It's American fork & hoe 1942 from CMP.

I'm considering attaching a AAC muzzle device for a suppressor, what do you think 🤔

sounds like an interesting project. should work, i've seen .308 conversions (from 30-06) of the m1, so a person should be able to regulate gas

On 4/25/2022 at 9:20 AM, unforgiven said:

Fulton said not to use anything heavier than 175 gr. in a as issued Garand and I just happen to a Schuster. I have been able to run both small and large platform without an adjustable gas block.

Once back in the 1970s I hand loaded up 50 rounds of 180gn Sierra FMJ at same powder load as I shoot in my Remington sporterized 03A3 for a long range match, loaded 50 rounds, shot three rounds and M1 didn't like it one bit! My shooting partner George Tubbs said  "Damn Mack , didn't you know not to load them 180 grains that M1 we shoot in our model 70s?"  I said  "hell No!  but I won't do that again", I was lucky I didn't mess up the operating rod. From then on it was 165 or 168 grains. The best accuracy I got with the M! was some black tip APs I got from a Marine Corps armory, That is all that they issued at the range at Camp Pendleton, back in 1962, The last year we were issued the M1, we went to the M 14 mid 1962 in the USMC reserve.

10 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Once back in the 1970s I hand loaded up 50 rounds of 180gn Sierra FMJ at same powder load as I shoot in my Remington sporterized 03A3 for a long range match, loaded 50 rounds, shot three rounds and M1 didn't like it one bit! My shooting partner George Tubbs said  "Damn Mack , didn't you know not to load them 180 grains that M1 we shoot in our model 70s?"  I said  "hell No!  but I won't do that again", I was lucky I didn't mess up the operating rod. From then on it was 165 or 168 grains. The best accuracy I got with the M! was some black tip APs I got from a Marine Corps armory, That is all that they issued at the range at Camp Pendleton, back in 1962, The last year we were issued the M1, we went to the M 14 mid 1962 in the USMC reserve.

Thanks brother hope everyone is doing well 🍺🍺🇺🇸